Old 17-08-2013, 12:08 AM
Registered User

Default Is There A Way To Keep My Arborvitae From Growing To Large?

I would love to put Global Arborvitae in front of my home. The problem is my picture window is only 22 inches above the ground. The ones I am looking at grow to 3 ft high. There is a sidewalk that is 24 inches from the house going past the front window to get to the side. If I plant them in their original pot that I bought them in from Home Depot, will that keep them from growing to the full 3 ft? Will they die if i plant them in their original container?
Old 17-08-2013, 12:10 AM
Registered User

QUOTE=rstarre;990070]I would love to put Global Arborvitae in front of my home. The problem is my picture window is only 22 inches above the ground. The ones I am looking at grow to 3 ft high & 3 ft wide. There is a sidewalk that is 24 inches from the house going past the front window to get to the side. If I plant them in their original pot that I bought them in from Home Depot, will that keep them from growing to the full 3 ft? Will they die if i plant them in their original container?[/quote]
Old 17-08-2013, 09:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Friday, August 16, 2013 3:08:23 PM UTC-7, rstarre wrote:
I would love to put Global Arborvitae in front of my home. The problem

is my picture window is only 22 inches above the ground. The ones I am

looking at grow to 3 ft high. There is a sidewalk that is 24 inches from

the house going past the front window to get to the side. If I plant

them in their original pot that I bought them in from Home Depot, will

that keep them from growing to the full 3 ft? Will they die if i plant

them in their original container?

Not knowing how big the original container is, I'd still venture that in the long run, the plants would be much happier in the ground. If you want to keep them from growing more than a certain height, all you have to do is prune them so they branch out laterally (to the side) rather than vertically (upward). If you do decide on lateral pruning, remember to leave enough space on each side so they won't be crowded.

But don't do ANY pruning until the poor things have become established and are putting out new growth!!!

Plenty of info on arbor vitae on-line to answer your questions. For example, just in case -- some people think they should fertilize upon transplanting. No, no, no! Give them a chance to get their root systems going before you give them a jolt of fertilizer.

BTW - what's actually wrong with having the plants showing a little through the picture window? Matter of taste, of course, but could be attractive.

HB

rstarre

Old 18-08-2013, 12:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

rstarre wrote:

I would love to put Global Arborvitae in front of my home. The problem
is my picture window is only 22 inches above the ground. The ones I am
looking at grow to 3 ft high. There is a sidewalk that is 24 inches from
the house going past the front window to get to the side. If I plant
them in their original pot that I bought them in from Home Depot

You bought them, above you say you're still looking.

, will
that keep them from growing to the full 3 ft? Will they die if i plant
them in their original container?

Globe (not global) arborvitae is very easy to keep sheared to your
desired height/width, they can be sheared to any shape you desire... I
used to have some I kept as perfect cubes. And there are many
varietals, there are dwarf versions too... not all are of the giant
type... I have two upright arborvitae that were about two feet tall
ten years ago, now are about six feet but only about two feet wide...
I could have kept them sheared much shorter but chose not (they are
very dense and home to several songbirds), I've never pruned them. I'd
definitely plant it in the ground. If they don't behave as you like
they are very inexpensive and no biggie to replace... I think juniper
makes for a better low growing hedge... of course I've no idea which
zone you're in.
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/prune-g...rub-48331.html

Old 19-08-2013, 07:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/17/2013 2:41 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Plenty of info on arbor vitae on-line to answer your questions. For
example, just in case -- some people think they should fertilize
upon transplanting. No, no, no! Give them a chance to get their
root systems going before you give them a jolt of fertilizer.

Not so. Mix some high-phosphorus fertilizer into the soil at planting
time to encourage root development. It's the best time in the plant's
life to fertilize it.

BTW - what's actually wrong with having the plants showing a little
through the picture window? Matter of taste, of course, but could
be attractive.

I once attended a lecture by a landscape architect who opened with a
slide presentation of the design mistakes he'd made over the years,
the point being that even pros can screw up. He then continued with
slides of successful installations from early in his career that were
now hideously overgrown and unsightly. Those were used to illustrate
an important point: Most foundation plantings are not meant to be
permanent. They provide a certain look for a certain period of time.
When they no longer provide that look due to size or age or
appearance, you should replace them.

Arborvitae tend to be somewhat slow growing. Plant them, enjoy them
for a decade or so, but when they finally outgrow the location, just
replace them.

Old 20-08-2013, 12:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Monday, August 19, 2013 10:20:49 AM UTC-7, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
On 8/17/2013 2:41 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Plenty of info on arbor vitae on-line to answer your questions. For

example, just in case -- some people think they should fertilize

upon transplanting. No, no, no! Give them a chance to get their

root systems going before you give them a jolt of fertilizer.

Not so. Mix some high-phosphorus fertilizer into the soil at planting

time to encourage root development. It's the best time in the plant's

life to fertilize it.

I stand corrected/educated. I should have made clear the distinction between chemical and organic fertilizer application at planting time.

From Ehow:

Phosphorus Fertilizer Application & Time of Application thumbnail
Phosphorus fertilizer helps plants grow strong roots.

Phosphorus fertilizer comes in an organic form like bone meal or an inorganic form as a chemical liquid. Application rates and time of application vary depending on whether you choose organic or inorganic phosphorus fertilizer, how fast your plant grows and what type of plant you are growing.

Phosphorus fertilizer is used mainly to help plants develop strong root systems. In most cases, it is added to the garden at the beginning of the growing season or when you plant a new plant. Organic phosphorus fertilizers like bone meal stay where you put it, waiting for plant roots to find it and take it up. Chemical phosphorus fertilizers are added to water and poured into the soil. It leaches or moves through the soil when it rains and might require additional applications.

Annual flowers and vegetables grow fast. They need a lot of phosphorus fertilizer and water to sustain them. Spread bone meal under the soil before planting seeds or put it in the hole before planting seedlings. Wait until plants start to grow before adding chemical phosphorus fertilizer. Read the recommendations on the bone meal box and chemical phosphorus fertilizer box for application rates.

Read mo http://www.ehow.com/info_8062505_pho...#ixzz2cSItSzBd

HB

Old 20-08-2013, 02:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Monday, August 19, 2013 3:13:15 PM UTC-7, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Monday, August 19, 2013 10:20:49 AM UTC-7, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

On 8/17/2013 2:41 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Plenty of info on arbor vitae on-line to answer your questions. For

example, just in case -- some people think they should fertilize

upon transplanting. No, no, no! Give them a chance to get their

root systems going before you give them a jolt of fertilizer.

Not so. Mix some high-phosphorus fertilizer into the soil at planting

time to encourage root development. It's the best time in the plant's

life to fertilize it.

I stand corrected/educated. I should have made clear the distinction between chemical and organic fertilizer application at planting time.

From Ehow:

[...]

Addendum:

I just realized how my too-hasty post could have been misleading.
I was concerned that the poster would just throw in a bunch of all-purpose fertilizer. causing the new plant to be very confused about whether it was supposed to be rooting, leafing, flowering, or what?? Mea culpa.
(Agree that organic phosphorus fertilizer applied CAREFULLY is OK at planting.

Last word to poster: When/if you buy phosphorus fertilizer, be sure to have the store clerk explain the formula on the box or bag (assuming they know!) so you don't end up with an all-purpose product. I was going to post a site but it was so technical, I gave up myself.

New subject: Slightly OT, but can't resist a plug for my favorite garden "additive" -- worm castings. I put some in the bottom of the hole when I transplant. (Probably should add some bonemeal, per this thread):

There is plenty of info on-line;

Ex: http://www.tastefulgarden.com/store/...tings-d114.htm

Available in most nurseries and in garden section of homeowners' stores.

HB

[...]