GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pear Tree/Montana Clematis (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/208174-pear-tree-montana-clematis.html)

Midwood Sue 09-09-2013 11:06 PM

Pear Tree/Montana Clematis

My Montana Clematis has started growing into my Pear tree winding it's self around the branches. Can anyone tell me as to whether this will damage or harm the tree ?

Jeff Layman[_2_] 10-09-2013 11:13 AM

Pear Tree/Montana Clematis

On 09/09/2013 23:06, Midwood Sue wrote:
My Montana Clematis has started growing into my Pear tree winding it's
self around the branches. Can anyone tell me as to whether this will
damage or harm the tree ?

Probably not, but C. montana is incredibly vigorous and given a few
years could well cover the tree. Fruit production will suffer. There is
a also very low chance that the additional weight and area of the
clematis could result in a tree with a weakened root system blowing over
in a storm.

If you have concerns wait until January or February, then dig up the
clematis and move it to a better place.

--

Jeff

brooklyn1 10-09-2013 10:20 PM

Pear Tree/Montana Clematis

Midwood Sue wrote:

My Montana Clematis has started growing into my Pear tree winding it's
self around the branches. Can anyone tell me as to whether this will
damage or harm the tree ?

Vines (of many types) will eventually shade the tree and prevent
photosynthesis, after a few years the tree will die. I strongly
suggest removing/moving the vine.