GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Foundation Shrub Recommendation (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/20837-re-foundation-shrub-recommendation.html)

gardengene 06-05-2003 02:20 AM

Foundation Shrub Recommendation

"Berob" wrote in message m...
I'm in Zone 7 and need an evergreen foundation shrub that will get about 5'
tall (4' - 6') but only 3' or so wide. Any recommendations/suggestions
would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Berob

Not sure about zone 7 (I'm in 6). You might want to check out
something called Mountain Fire Pieris (japonica?) - have the little
tickets at home, so I'm not sure if that's the exact spelling. These
are beautiful, will get the size you want if you let them. Any new
foliage "leafs in" in a bright red color, with the older foliage
turning green. They also get clusters of small white flowers in the
spring. Just bought 3 of these for the back of the house. They look
very pretty, sort of a 2-tone effect. My local garden center said
they're very hardy, will do well in partial shade, can be pruned to
whatever size you want. Let me know if you need the exact name & I'll
find the tickets.

Geri