GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Should all Horticulturalists be qualified? College Project (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/208446-should-all-horticulturalists-qualified-college-project.html)

Sam:) 02-10-2013 07:50 PM

Should all Horticulturalists be qualified? College Project

Hi all, as part of my college coursework I have to investigate a topic and I have chosen "Should all horticulturalists be qualified prior to employment and would a trade body help" I am looking for opinions at this stage. Thanks for reading I hope to hear back from some of you.
Sam.

Bert[_2_] 03-10-2013 04:40 PM

Should all Horticulturalists be qualified? College Project

In Sam:)
wrote:

Hi all, as part of my college coursework I have to investigate a topic
and I have chosen "Should all horticulturalists be qualified prior to
employment and would a trade body help" I am looking for opinions at
this stage. Thanks for reading I hope to hear back from some of you.

When you say "qualified," do you mean

A) They should know what they're doing

or

B) They must pass an examination and be certified by either

1) Your proposed trade body

or

2) Some government agency

--
St. Paul, MN

Billy[_10_] 03-10-2013 06:10 PM

Should all Horticulturalists be qualified? College Project

In article ,
Bert wrote:

In Sam:)
wrote:

Hi all, as part of my college coursework I have to investigate a topic
and I have chosen "Should all horticulturalists be qualified prior to
employment and would a trade body help" I am looking for opinions at
this stage. Thanks for reading I hope to hear back from some of you.

When you say "qualified," do you mean

A) They should know what they're doing

or

B) They must pass an examination and be certified by either

1) Your proposed trade body

or

2) Some government agency

or

C) They are enrolled in an horticultural apprenticeship program, and
learn while doing.
--
Palestinian Child Detained
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSzH38jYcg

Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.

Bert[_2_] 03-10-2013 08:31 PM

Should all Horticulturalists be qualified? College Project

In

Billy wrote:

C) They are enrolled in an horticultural apprenticeship program, and
learn while doing.

Said program being operated by whom?

Of course, this ignores the stated requirement of being "qualified"
which then cycles back to my original question.

--
St. Paul, MN

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 03-10-2013 11:52 PM

Should all Horticulturalists be qualified? College Project

Sam:) wrote:
results, please visit
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/showth...hreadid=208446
Question: Should all horticulturalists be qualified?

- Yes
- No

Hi all, as part of my college coursework I have to investigate a topic
and I have chosen "Should all horticulturalists be qualified prior to
employment and would a trade body help" I am looking for opinions at
this stage. Thanks for reading I hope to hear back from some of you.
Sam.

The question is too vague. You can get any answer you like depending on
what you mean.

Training for horticulture has always been a problem.

Recall that you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it drink. And
you can lead a horticulture but you cannot make her think.

John McGaw 04-10-2013 10:30 PM

On 10/2/2013 2:50 PM, Sam:) wrote:
results, please visit http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/showth...hreadid=208446
Question: Should all horticulturalists be qualified?

- Yes
- No

Hi all, as part of my college coursework I have to investigate a topic
and I have chosen "Should all horticulturalists be qualified prior to
employment and would a trade body help" I am looking for opinions at
this stage. Thanks for reading I hope to hear back from some of you.
Sam.

By this standard, Capability Brown would be unqualified. Some people with
no training can do it and some with years of training cannot.