GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   cherokee dogwood (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/20846-cherokee-dogwood.html)

P Dover 06-05-2003 02:21 AM

cherokee dogwood

I live in Southern Ontario Canada and this is the second year for the tree ,
cherokee dogwood . After this winter most of the buds and a lot of the tips
of the tree are brown and look s like a lot of winter kill . There are a few
leaves here and there on some of the branches . Do you think there is hope
for this tree and if so what is the next step trimming Thanks for
any reply,s

Vox Humana 06-05-2003 02:44 PM

cherokee dogwood

,
cherokee dogwood . After this winter most of the buds and a lot of the

tips
of the tree are brown and look s like a lot of winter kill . There are a

few
leaves here and there on some of the branches . Do you think there is hope
for this tree and if so what is the next step trimming Thanks for
any reply,s

I have gone through two of these dogwoods (cornus Florida 'Cherokee
Princess') They were installed by a landscaping firm and I didn't realize
that these trees were likely to be ravaged by anthracnose. I think it is a
matter of time before your tree is dead. I would replace it with another
dogwood that is resistant to anthracnose, like a cornus Kousa, or get
another spring flowering tree like a crab apple.

[email protected] 07-05-2003 04:56 PM

cherokee dogwood

what is your zone? they are not reliably hardy to zone 5. if it is anthracnose,
there are new kousa florida hybrids that put flowers (bracts) first, leaves second.
Ingrid

"P Dover" wrote:

I live in Southern Ontario Canada and this is the second year for the tree ,
cherokee dogwood . After this winter most of the buds and a lot of the tips
of the tree are brown and look s like a lot of winter kill . There are a few
leaves here and there on some of the branches . Do you think there is hope
for this tree and if so what is the next step trimming Thanks for
any reply,s

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com