Old 06-05-2003, 02:21 AM
Bob Batson

Default Online Preview of Revised Plant Hardiness Zone Map

Online Preview of Revised Plant Hardiness Zone Map

Newly accessible at the American Horticultural Societyıs web site is
an Adobe(R) Acrobat(R) PDF file showing a draft version of the latest
revision of the U.S.D.A. Plant Hardiness Zone Map
(http://www.ahs.org/pdfs/USDA_Map_3.03.pdf; 5.56 megabytes). Is there
much difference between this new map and the last (1990) version? Yes!
The boundaries of many of the Zones have moved considerably toward the
north, so that many gardeners will find themselves in different (warmer)
Zones than before. The revised map, based on data collected between 1986
and 2002, is graphic testimony to the pobability [sic] of global
warming!
Reproducible images of the final version of the revised map will be
available eventually at http://www.usda.ars.gov. A database giving the
Zones for all Zip Codes should be accessible on the AHS web site next
month.
periodicals or $27.00 first class; Canada and Mexico, $32.00; Overseas,
$30.00 surface mail or $42.00 air mail. Single issues: North America,
$2.50 each; Overseas, $3.00 each, surface mail, or $4.00 each, air mail.
The email address for HORTIDEAS is: . _HortIdeas_ is now on
the world wide web at
http://www.users.mis.net/~gwill/hi-index.htm

--
Bob Batson

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines"
Old 06-05-2003, 05:20 AM
JNJ

Newly accessible at the American Horticultural Societyıs web site is
an Adobe(R) Acrobat(R) PDF file showing a draft version of the latest
revision of the U.S.D.A. Plant Hardiness Zone Map
(http://www.ahs.org/pdfs/USDA_Map_3.03.pdf; 5.56 megabytes). Is there
much difference between this new map and the last (1990) version? Yes!
The boundaries of many of the Zones have moved considerably toward the
north, so that many gardeners will find themselves in different (warmer)
Zones than before. The revised map, based on data collected between 1986
and 2002, is graphic testimony to the pobability [sic] of global
warming!

Gotta love that global warming, eh?

I have to wonder just how correct these adjustments really are -- especially
after this last winter we suffered through. We're still Zone 6 up here, but
not far from Zone 7. With microclimes I can grow Zone 7 plants though --
and with all them trees in me back yard, I gots lots of microclimes. Grin

James

Old 07-05-2003, 01:56 AM
Ann

Bob Batson expounded:

Online Preview of Revised Plant Hardiness Zone Map

Damn....I got "Not Found The requested URL /pdfs/USDA_Map_3.03.pdf;
was not found on this server."

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 07-05-2003, 03:32 AM
Susan K. Wehe

I got it. It's an Adobe file and has some obvious revisions to the
zones.

susan

Bob Batson expounded:

Old 08-05-2003, 03:44 AM
pelirojaroja

I was able to get it, too. But it's a REALLY big file (well, 5.5 MB or so).
I'm on broadband, but it would take quite awhile on dial up. There may be
some hang problems if you are on dialup -- or even some Explorer setup
issues.

It is, however, one of the best online Hardiness zone maps I have seen --
you can really zoom in. Worth the wait if you can access it.

-- Lisa
-- pelirojaroja
"dangerous redhead"
"Susan K. Wehe" wrote in message
I got it. It's an Adobe file and has some obvious revisions to the
zones.

susan

Bob Batson expounded:

Old 08-05-2003, 12:32 PM
Ann

"pelirojaroja" expounded:

I was able to get it, too. But it's a REALLY big file (well, 5.5 MB or so).
I'm on broadband, but it would take quite awhile on dial up. There may be
some hang problems if you are on dialup -- or even some Explorer setup
issues.

Well, I can't get to either one of the links posted, and I've got a
cable modem from Comcast, formerly AT&T. Still, both show as file not
found. I wonder what's wrong.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 08-05-2003, 02:08 PM
Leon Fisk

Maybe, Ann
Wrote in

"pelirojaroja" expounded:

I was able to get it, too. But it's a REALLY big file (well, 5.5 MB or so).
I'm on broadband, but it would take quite awhile on dial up. There may be
some hang problems if you are on dialup -- or even some Explorer setup
issues.

Well, I can't get to either one of the links posted, and I've got a
cable modem from Comcast, formerly AT&T. Still, both show as file not
found. I wonder what's wrong.

Hi Ann,

Try the following link:

http://www.ahs.org/pdfs/USDA_Map_3.03.pdf

The original link had an extra ";" on the end, Ooops ;-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI | Zone 5b
Old 09-05-2003, 02:32 AM
Ann

Leon Fisk expounded:

Hi Ann,

Try the following link:

http://www.ahs.org/pdfs/USDA_Map_3.03.pdf

The original link had an extra ";" on the end, Ooops ;-)

Thank you! It worked. Interesting, it says I'm in 7..... it was far
too cold here in January for me to even consider being in 7!!! The
winters here are so variable, last year we had no snow and fairly mild
temps, a couple years ago I thought I'd moved to Seattle, but that was
after the snowiest winter ever the year before. This particular part
of the country is hard to pin, I think.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 09-05-2003, 08:08 PM
Susan K. Wehe

Hi Ann,
Our summer and fall were so wet last year that I heard meteorologists
on TV asking when exactly were they transferred to Seattle? Our water
table is so far up that we're still only having to water the new and
potted plants.

susan

Ann wrote:

Leon Fisk expounded:

Hi Ann,

Try the following link:

Old 10-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Leon Fisk

Maybe, Ann
Wrote in
Thank you! It worked. Interesting, it says I'm in 7..... it was far
too cold here in January for me to even consider being in 7!!! The
winters here are so variable, last year we had no snow and fairly mild
temps, a couple years ago I thought I'd moved to Seattle, but that was
after the snowiest winter ever the year before. This particular part
of the country is hard to pin, I think.

Nah, you will just have to wait until next year. Mother
Nature hasn't had time to look this over herself yet. Next
year after some serious study, she will obviously conjure up
the proper winter weather to go along with these new
Hardiness Zones ;-)
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI | Zone 5b

Old 11-05-2003, 11:44 PM
Jean B.

Ann wrote:

Leon Fisk expounded:

Hi Ann,

Try the following link:

http://www.ahs.org/pdfs/USDA_Map_3.03.pdf

The original link had an extra ";" on the end, Ooops ;-)

Thank you! It worked. Interesting, it says I'm in 7..... it was far
too cold here in January for me to even consider being in 7!!! The
winters here are so variable, last year we had no snow and fairly mild
temps, a couple years ago I thought I'd moved to Seattle, but that was
after the snowiest winter ever the year before. This particular part
of the country is hard to pin, I think.

I agree! I think we have to take those charts with a grain of
salt. I was seeing temps of -15 here many days this winter.
Obviously, I need to get things that can withstand such temps--and
I like to allow room for even further weather vagaries.

--
Jean B., 12 miles west of Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Old 12-05-2003, 02:08 AM
Ann

"Susan K. Wehe" expounded:

Our summer and fall were so wet last year that I heard meteorologists
on TV asking when exactly were they transferred to Seattle? Our water
table is so far up that we're still only having to water the new and
potted plants.

And yet this past winter we saw sustained temperatures down at zero or
below for a week at a time, and the 'warm-up' rarely went over
20....and there were many nights where we were at -10 or -12. Zone 5b
was more like it in January! My new second home is in 5a, kinda pine
barreny, it's gonna be fun gardening on 2.5 acres instead of .6!
Someday, when we move up there.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 14-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Iris Cohen

I was just able to download it. According to the new draft, the western half of
Onondaga County is now in Zone 6. I am awaiting the final word.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

[IMG] code is On

[IBC] Climate Zone Map Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 12-01-2004 02:13 PM
Climate Zone Map cam Bonsai 0 12-01-2004 01:02 AM
Climate Zone Map jon Edible Gardening 2 24-08-2003 02:02 AM
Preview of 2003 USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map Susan H. Simko Roses 4 09-07-2003 10:09 PM
Zip Code Zone Map? Pat Meadows Edible Gardening 8 21-03-2003 07:44 PM