GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What kind of tree is it? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/20849-what-kind-tree.html)

tod 06-05-2003 02:21 AM

What kind of tree is it?

Hi,

I'm wondering if somebody can help me identify a tree. There are four
of them growing in the park across from where I work (Zone 9a). The
trees are each about 20 feet high, with trunks about six wide. It
would make a good shade tree. The bark is rather typical. (You can
tell I'm not an expert or even close by my descriptions. :0)

The leaves are what make the tree more exotic looking than the rest.
They are a medium green, very moist, ovate in shape but with a
pronounced sharp point. Imagine an ace in a deck of cards, but even
more pointy on the end. A bunch of them together give the tree a
layered look. I don't know what else I could tell you in describing
it. I have a book with photographs of thousands of plants, but I don't
know where to start. Thumbing through the book didn't yield anything I
recognized. But maybe if somebody had an idea of the kind of tree,
that might get me in the right direction.

I can provide more info if anyone needs.

tod

David J. Bockman 06-05-2003 04:08 AM

What kind of tree is it?

Some things that will help...

1. Photograph the tree, especially examples of the bark and individual
leaves, and post them to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens.

2. If that's not an option, describe the average leaf size, whether the
leaves are opposite or alternate on the branch, whether or not there are
obvious lenticles on the younger bark, etc.

Dave
om...

tod 06-05-2003 06:56 PM

What kind of tree is it?

Thanx everybody. I took a leaf to the nursery and the information desk
identified the tree as Chinese Tallow.

tod