GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cicadas (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/208673-cicadas.html)

F Murtz 07-11-2013 07:37 AM

Cicadas

I have holes appearing all over the place away from trees.
I always thought cicadas laid their eggs in tree bark and the nymph
climbs down and buries itself in the ground nearby ready to climb back
up the tree.
But I planted a mandarin tree recently away from other trees, it now has
a cicada shell on it,the tree has not been there long enough for the
first part of the cycle.
I do not know if all the holes away from trees are cicadas or
coincidence and are giant spiders that appear the same time as cicadas ???

Pat Kiewicz[_2_] 08-11-2013 01:27 PM

Cicadas

F Murtz said:

The holes are outside the root systems but there are very tall gums
around so I suppose they could be blown to where the holes are

You might be surprised at how far the roots of a tree will reach--far
beyond the extent of the canopy. A tree might even send a substantial
root a very long way to reach a source of water or a rich pocket of soil.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

thomaspoul 13-11-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F Murtz (Post 994686)
I have holes appearing all over the place away from trees.
I always thought cicadas laid their eggs in tree bark and the nymph
climbs down and buries itself in the ground nearby ready to climb back
up the tree.
But I planted a mandarin tree recently away from other trees, it now has
a cicada shell on it,the tree has not been there long enough for the
first part of the cycle.
I do not know if all the holes away from trees are cicadas or
coincidence and are giant spiders that appear the same time as cicadas ???

This is most common insect found in garden, it found for better grass in garern.