GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   a little snow (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/208703-little-snow.html)

songbird[_2_] 11-11-2013 10:04 PM

a little snow

it wasn't the first time we've had snow in the
air, but it certainly gives the signal that winter
is on the way.

we'll have some cold for a bit then warming the
rest of the week so i should be able to finish up
the last of the gardens i'd planned to put up for
the winter.

today while out and about, i was sitting at the
table inhaling my brunch when this lady was getting
up from the neighboring table and for some reason
she just started talking to me about the weather,
the fact that they were a farming family, that the
harvest was mostly in and they'd had a good season,
etc.

ok, i'm a friendly sort, so i made a few comments
and asked her husband about winter wheat and winter
rye planting, as that is what i'm doing now when i
finish up a garden. i had no idea how late i could
plant it and still expect it to sprout and grow. i'm
not concerned as much about the actual crop, but in
having it as a cover for the ground during the winter.
he said i was right on the edge, but if we get some
warmth it should sprout, but he said it may not really
grow all that much until spring. so perhaps it won't
do what i'd like. if we have a few warm enough weeks
yet then we'll see how it goes.

i said thanks, :), and they wandered off out into
the world. after finishing my lunch i did likewise.

the rains are welcome as we've taken in the hoses
and i wasn't relishing the idea of hauling water by
cans to get the gardens moistened again. they've
been spaced out just about perfectly for keeping
things wet and growing as soon as i can get it
planted.

other than that, it's projects all over the place
indoors and outdoors. we've probably processed close
to 20 bushels of apples the past few weeks into apple
sauce and apple crisps, some we put up for ourselves
but most of it going to soup kitchens, friends or
family. now that we have the routine down we can
finish 3-5 gallons of apple sauce in an evening.

and yes, i still like the smell of baking apples.

songbird

Frank 12-11-2013 02:31 PM

a little snow

On 11/11/2013 4:04 PM, songbird wrote:
[...]

We just had our first flurry this am.

mj 12-11-2013 05:46 PM

a little snow

On Tuesday, November 12, 2013 8:31:50 AM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
[...]

Ours is due tonight. Probably the only but you never know. I was in the Raleigh area for 16 inches.
MJ

Frank 13-11-2013 01:36 AM

a little snow

On 11/12/2013 11:46 AM, mj wrote:
[...]

Northern DE. Just a dusting but lots of talk about it. We can get
substantial snows but its way too early. Wife from Cleveland where
heavy snows can be normal this time of year was concerned. I recall
over an inch of snow one afternoon in Cleveland around the end of June.
I chide her about this;)

I recall flying to Raleigh once watching the snow covering the east
disappear as we approached Raleigh.