Old 15-11-2013, 01:41 PM posted to rec.gardens
mj mj is offline

Default Walmart Find

Walked into Walmart last night and just inside found a $1.00 bin full of Daffodils, Crocus and Tulips. Packages of 9 and 18. I am not sure where I am gong to plant them as I planted 48 Daffodils earlier this week. I just could not pass them up. Any other fall finds out there?
MJ
Old 15-11-2013, 06:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 11/15/2013 4:41 AM, mj wrote:
Walked into Walmart last night and just inside found a $1.00 bin full
of Daffodils, Crocus and Tulips. Packages of 9 and 18. I am not sure
where I am gong to plant them as I planted 48 Daffodils earlier this
week. I just could not pass them up. Any other fall finds out
there? MJ

I never buy plants at a lumber yard or hardware store. In any case,
it's a bit late to plant spring bulbs in my area.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 15-11-2013, 06:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

mj wrote:

Walked into Walmart last night and just inside found a $1.00 bin full of Daffodils, Crocus and Tulips.
Packages of 9 and 18. I am not sure where I am gong to plant them as I planted 48 Daffodils earlier
this week. I just could not pass them up. Any other fall finds out there?

Hurry up and plant them, here in upstate NY the ground is already too
frozen.

Old 15-11-2013, 07:48 PM posted to rec.gardens
mj mj is offline

On Friday, November 15, 2013 12:42:46 PM UTC-5, Brooklyn1 wrote:
mj wrote:

Walked into Walmart last night and just inside found a $1.00 bin full of Daffodils, Crocus and Tulips.

Packages of 9 and 18. I am not sure where I am gong to plant them as I planted 48 Daffodils earlier

this week. I just could not pass them up. Any other fall finds out there?

Hurry up and plant them, here in upstate NY the ground is already too

frozen.

Up State New York is where I learned to love spring bulbs. The first crocus meant it might soon be warm. Where are you upstate?
MJ
Old 15-11-2013, 08:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

mj wrote:

Walked into Walmart last night and just inside found a $1.00
bin full of Daffodils, Crocus and Tulips. Packages of 9 and
18. I am not sure where I am gong to plant them as I planted
48 Daffodils earlier this week. I just could not pass them
up. Any other fall finds out there?

so far just several cases of canning jars for free.

i avoid buying these types of plants/bulbs as they
often are not stored in anything even close to decent
conditions. examining them often finds dried or damaged
bulbs. some may grow out ok, but those that are dried
up too much won't do much other than be a source of
organic material for the soil critters.

if your ground doesn't freeze deeply you should be ok
planting winter bulbs up until the end of December (but for
best growth it is better to plant them earlier).

songbird

Old 15-11-2013, 08:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
mj mj is offline

On Friday, November 15, 2013 2:01:16 PM UTC-5, songbird wrote:
mj wrote:

Walked into Walmart last night and just inside found a $1.00

bin full of Daffodils, Crocus and Tulips. Packages of 9 and

18. I am not sure where I am gong to plant them as I planted

48 Daffodils earlier this week. I just could not pass them

up. Any other fall finds out there?

so far just several cases of canning jars for free.

i avoid buying these types of plants/bulbs as they

often are not stored in anything even close to decent

conditions. examining them often finds dried or damaged

bulbs. some may grow out ok, but those that are dried

up too much won't do much other than be a source of

organic material for the soil critters.

if your ground doesn't freeze deeply you should be ok

planting winter bulbs up until the end of December (but for

best growth it is better to plant them earlier).

songbird

Even at that I had to buy those poor little things for a dollar.
The ground here doesn't freeze here until January and then barely. I will get them in soon
Old 15-11-2013, 08:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

mj wrote:

[...]

Err...I respect your empathy for "those poor little things" and I hope they bloom up a storm come Spring.

But I don't buy in Walmart because of their horrible reputation about treating personnel like s**t. I guess I'll just keeping buying at the nabe nursery where they know their *** from their elbow.

HB
Old 15-11-2013, 09:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 09:32:57 -0800, "David E. Ross"
wrote:

On 11/15/2013 4:41 AM, mj wrote:
Walked into Walmart last night and just inside found a $1.00 bin full
of Daffodils, Crocus and Tulips. Packages of 9 and 18. I am not sure
where I am gong to plant them as I planted 48 Daffodils earlier this
week. I just could not pass them up. Any other fall finds out
there? MJ

I never buy plants at a lumber yard or hardware store.

They're the same packaged bulbs sold everywhere only for a lot more
money than the big box stores.

Old 16-11-2013, 03:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 11/15/2013 2:18 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

But I don't buy in Walmart because of their horrible reputation about treating personnel like s**t. I guess I'll just keeping buying at the nabe nursery where they know their *** from their elbow.

HB

I suspect you no longer go to Walmart after your picture of people
shopping at Walmart was posted

Old 16-11-2013, 07:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:

But I don't buy in Walmart because of their horrible reputation about treating personnel like s**t.

Then find better employment than cleaning Walmart's toilets.
Old 17-11-2013, 01:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Saturday, November 16, 2013 6:08:42 AM UTC-8, Frank wrote:
On 11/15/2013 2:18 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

But I don't buy in Walmart because of their horrible reputation about treating personnel like s**t. I guess I'll just keeping buying at the nabe nursery where they know their *** from their elbow.

HB

I suspect you no longer go to Walmart after your picture of people

shopping at Walmart was posted

Who you talkin' to, boy? I ain't didn't post no pikchure about peeple chopping at Walmart!

HB

Old 17-11-2013, 07:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

mj wrote:

[...]

Our on again, off again lib-er-al seems to have it right this time.

The global retailer is a "net job destroyer" when it arrives in
communities.

"One of the tactics of Wal-Mart is to suck jobs out of a community. For
every job gained, 1.4 jobs are lost."
- Ex-Clinton Labor Secretary Robert Reich
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20130225/ARTICLES/130229682
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.

[IMG] code is On

A tale of two Walmart String Trimmers Jim Gilliland Lawns 3 12-08-2003 05:43 PM
Walmart MTD Yard Machine 17HP Briggs&Stratton Earl Lewis Lawns 1 08-07-2003 02:44 PM
DuraBarrell from WalMart Lori Ponds 3 27-06-2003 07:45 PM
Walmart Lily Scotty Ponds 3 25-06-2003 02:08 PM
Pros and Cons of Walmart shop lights fixture Vs. Fixture bought in Aquatic Store?? Brandon Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 07:21 AM