GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Zone 5b: My lilacs are budding - problem??? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/208775-re-zone-5b-my-lilacs-budding-problem.html)

[email protected] 25-11-2013 03:49 AM

Zone 5b: My lilacs are budding - problem???

On Tuesday, December 3, 1996 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, PostLady wrote:
Sheila Craig wrote:

It's now December in Ottawa (albeit a mild one thus far) and my lilacs (2
of them) have BUDS! Is this a problem? I pruned the dead flowers off one
in late summer. The other didn't bloom this year and I didnt touch it.
Are my lilacs in trouble? What to do?
-Sheila
Zone 5b

Don't know. For some strange mine bloomed out in November and now are
all leafed out like it is spring. Have they gotten the seasons mixed
up? I'm in zone 8 in Arkansas USA.

I am in Portland OR (Zone 7),it is NOVEMBER. I have a lilac that is putting out leaves and buds like it thinks it is March. It is in a pot so I brought it inside. Was that the right thing to do?

Higgs Boson 25-11-2013 09:55 AM

Sheila Craig wrote:

It's now December in Ottawa (albeit a mild one thus far) and my lilacs (2

of them) have BUDS! Is this a problem? I pruned the dead flowers off one

in late summer. The other didn't bloom this year and I didnt touch it.

Are my lilacs in trouble? What to do?

-Sheila

Zone 5b

Don't know. For some strange mine bloomed out in November and now are

all leafed out like it is spring. Have they gotten the seasons mixed

up? I'm in zone 8 in Arkansas USA.

I am in Portland OR (Zone 7),it is NOVEMBER. I have a lilac that is putting out leaves and buds like it thinks it is March. It is in a pot so I brought it inside. Was that the right thing to do?

I am in Santa Monica CA (Zone 8). My fraises du bois, which are supposed to produce in spring? are blooming and have produced a few tiny, luscious morsels.

HB

songbird[_2_] 27-11-2013 10:07 PM

Higgs Boson wrote:
On Sunday, November 24, 2013 7:49:00 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Tuesday, December 3, 1996 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, PostLady wrote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

such a good year, '96...

Sheila Craig wrote:

It's now December in Ottawa (albeit a mild one thus far) and my lilacs (2

of them) have BUDS! Is this a problem? I pruned the dead flowers off one

in late summer. The other didn't bloom this year and I didnt touch it.

Are my lilacs in trouble? What to do?

-Sheila

Zone 5b

Don't know. For some strange mine bloomed out in November and now are

all leafed out like it is spring. Have they gotten the seasons mixed

up? I'm in zone 8 in Arkansas USA.

I am in Portland OR (Zone 7),it is NOVEMBER. I have a lilac that is putting out leaves and buds like it thinks it is March. It is in a pot so I brought it inside. Was that the right thing to do?

I am in Santa Monica CA (Zone 8). My fraises du bois, which are supposed to produce in spring? are blooming and have produced a few tiny, luscious morsels.

if you are creating a warm microclimate (an enclosed space,
near a brick wall, etc.) plants may do all sorts of things
that aren't expected. can you describe where it was kept
and what kinds of conditions you've had?

i would expect this to mean that it will not bloom next
spring, but perhaps only a part of the plant is affected
and the rest will still bloom next spring.

i transplanted some mini-irises which normally bloom in
the spring and that's it. this year the few i transplanted
bloomed right before the frosts came along.

songbird

Higgs Boson 28-11-2013 08:35 AM

Sheila Craig wrote:

[...]

Hmmm...you may have a point. This (not enclosed) bed is just inside a South-facing block wall. It gets direct sun the 2nd part of the day. Perhaps block wall absorbs heat the lst part of the day ?

Our weather has been climate change crazy with warm days alternating with "cold", both out of season. Been gardening here since approx. forever, and have never seen such anomalies as last few years.

i would expect this to mean that it will not bloom next

spring, but perhaps only a part of the plant is affected

and the rest will still bloom next spring.

I will have a serious talk with them: Songie says you are supposed to...!

This is my second try at fraises du bois, separated by many years, so I am determined to Make It Work.

HB