GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Thermogenic plants (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/208973-thermogenic-plants.html)

Todd[_2_] 07-01-2014 08:19 AM

Thermogenic plants

Hi All,

Came across an interesting article on Wilipedia.
Plants that create their own heat. Some melt
though the snow:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermogenic_plants

These plants would not be something you'd want to plant
in your own garden. Better to give as a gift to an
ex-wife or a relative you did not like (they smell bad):

skunk cabbage
dead-horse arum
carrion flower

:-)

-T

zxcvbob 07-01-2014 04:18 PM

Thermogenic plants

Todd wrote:
Hi All,

Came across an interesting article on Wilipedia.
Plants that create their own heat. Some melt
though the snow:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermogenic_plants

These plants would not be something you'd want to plant
in your own garden. Better to give as a gift to an
ex-wife or a relative you did not like (they smell bad):

skunk cabbage
dead-horse arum
carrion flower

Triffids
"Audrey Jr"
the legendary Puking Tree of Mozambique

;)

Frank Miles 07-01-2014 08:04 PM

Thermogenic plants

On Tue, 07 Jan 2014 00:19:20 -0800, Todd wrote:

Hi All,

Came across an interesting article on Wilipedia.
Plants that create their own heat. Some melt
though the snow:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermogenic_plants

These plants would not be something you'd want to plant
in your own garden. Better to give as a gift to an
ex-wife or a relative you did not like (they smell bad):

skunk cabbage
dead-horse arum
carrion flower

:-)

-T

Thanks! I've always wondered how skunk cabbage could beat all those
other herbaceous plants through the snow layers in the spring.

j[_2_] 09-01-2014 06:16 PM

Thermogenic plants

On 1/7/2014 3:19 AM, Todd wrote:
Hi All,

Came across an interesting article on Wilipedia.
Plants that create their own heat. Some melt
though the snow:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermogenic_plants

These plants would not be something you'd want to plant
in your own garden. Better to give as a gift to an
ex-wife or a relative you did not like (they smell bad):

skunk cabbage

Skunk cabbage is a rite of spring for my brother. There is a bog near
him that he visits to see the first plants of the year.

Jeff

dead-horse arum
carrion flower

:-)

-T

Frank 09-01-2014 06:45 PM

Thermogenic plants

On 1/7/2014 3:04 PM, Frank Miles wrote:
On Tue, 07 Jan 2014 00:19:20 -0800, Todd wrote:

Hi All,

Came across an interesting article on Wilipedia.
Plants that create their own heat. Some melt
though the snow:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermogenic_plants

These plants would not be something you'd want to plant
in your own garden. Better to give as a gift to an
ex-wife or a relative you did not like (they smell bad):

skunk cabbage
dead-horse arum
carrion flower

:-)

-T

Thanks! I've always wondered how skunk cabbage could beat all those
other herbaceous plants through the snow layers in the spring.

Got me thinking.
Is skunk cabbage responsible for global warming?