Old 27-02-2003, 07:27 PM
Mick709

Default Garden planning websites/Etc?????

Howdy all!

I am hoping someone out there can help me - -I get all sorts of gardening
magazines and love the look of many of the gardens and would love to do
something that looks a bit more 'professional' than my garden does now. I have
a plot that I am turning into more garden in the spring and would like
something thats a little snappier than the other parts of the yard. It doesnt
have to look like a page from "Home and Garden" but close to that would be
nice! grin So, any suggestions on websites etc with (hopefully!) free plans
for gardens WITH actual photographs of what they look like in bloom? Looking at
a planting plan is one thing but actually seeing what it should look like would
be a great help to see if its something that would work in my yard.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks !
Mick
in frozen pittsburgh (brrrrr!)
Old 27-02-2003, 10:03 PM
Karen Fletcher

Mick709 wrote:
: Howdy all!

: I am hoping someone out there can help me - -I get all sorts of gardening
: magazines and love the look of many of the gardens and would love to do
: something that looks a bit more 'professional' than my garden does now. I have
: a plot that I am turning into more garden in the spring and would like
: something thats a little snappier than the other parts of the yard. It doesnt
: have to look like a page from "Home and Garden" but close to that would be
: nice! grin So, any suggestions on websites etc with (hopefully!) free plans
: for gardens WITH actual photographs of what they look like in bloom? Looking at
: a planting plan is one thing but actually seeing what it should look like would
: be a great help to see if its something that would work in my yard.

: Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Your best bet is still the old technology -- books. Make a trip to your
public library with a big, sturdy canvas bag (for lugging home of big
books). Or visit your local 'Capitalist Library', i.e. your local
bookstore, and linger over a latte and piles of garden design books.

There are some Web sites that have plans and photos, but it will be hard
to find something that will work for your climate, soil, and site.

Some nurseries have package deals on plants for prefab designs of various
types. Bluestone Perennials [http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/] comes
to mind offhand.

Cheers!

-- Karen

The Garden Gate http://garden-gate.prairienet.org
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
^and cats -- Cicero
On the Web since 1994 Forbes Best of Web 2002
Old 27-02-2003, 10:16 PM
Bobby Baxter - Wake Forest, NC

Hello Mick in Pittsburgh,

I have been producing garden videos for several years. Last year I made 9
different videos. I think one that would be right for you would be the one
I made this past season at the 2002 American Hemerocallis Society's National
Convention that was in the Detroit area. This is a full 2 hour video
featuring 10 different gardens from small private gardens to large private
estate gardens. There is a wonderful mix and I focus on many different
aspects of landscaping in this video (there are many landscape sweeps and
special garden areas focused on), in addition to the glorious daylilies and
other plant material. My videos are only $15 each so this may be an
inexpensive, yet visually pleasing way to get some ideas for your garden.

My garden video website is located at http://daylily.net/gardenvideos/. You
can print and mail the orderform, or use the PayPal feature for faster
services.

BTW, I will be in Pittsburgh in July to make two garden videos of some great
gardens in your hometown. I'll be attending a gardening convention as well
as visiting some private gardens. You live in a great gardening town.

Enjoy,
Bobby Baxter

ps. I also currently have 66 clients that are gardens that I do web design
for. Links to all these gardens are on my homepage at http://daylily.net/.
Many of these garden sites do have some garden galleries showing
landscaping.

Old 28-02-2003, 03:39 AM
Pam

Mick709 wrote:

Howdy all!

I am hoping someone out there can help me - -I get all sorts of gardening
magazines and love the look of many of the gardens and would love to do
something that looks a bit more 'professional' than my garden does now. I have
a plot that I am turning into more garden in the spring and would like
something thats a little snappier than the other parts of the yard. It doesnt
have to look like a page from "Home and Garden" but close to that would be
nice! grin So, any suggestions on websites etc with (hopefully!) free plans
for gardens WITH actual photographs of what they look like in bloom? Looking at
a planting plan is one thing but actually seeing what it should look like would
be a great help to see if its something that would work in my yard.

Wouldn't that be great? Then everyone would be a garden designer and I'd be out of
a job!! Seriously, I know of no single website that offers what you need. OTOH, I
agree with Karen that you can find a lot of what you are looking for in books.
There are scores of pretty decent home landscape design books out there, many with
photos AND detailed diagrams of planting plans. I recall a couple of the Reader's
Digest series do this and look for John Brooks, "The Book of Garden Design". They
will be able to give you a few other design pointers, too, like developing focal
points and balance and adding structure, etc. Libraries and bookstores are
wonderful things.

pam - gardengal

Old 28-02-2003, 02:03 PM
Tom Engel

Hi Mick - A visit to your local library would be very worth while as well as a
possible visit to some neighbors who garden or area garden club to see what really
works in your gardening zone. Randy

Old 28-02-2003, 02:27 PM
Steve

Here are some sites you might find helpful:

http://www.the-landscape-design-site.com/
http://www.gardendesigner.com/index.htm
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/e...cape/home.html
http://landscaping.about.com/mbody.htm

Also I've found the Southern Living Landscape Book by Steve Bender to be
useful
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...292689-0234212)

Good luck!

Old 28-02-2003, 11:51 PM
Keiko

Hi! I have found a wealth of information at
http://www.nationalgardening.com and also more general tips at
http://www.pallensmith.com. Good luck.