Old 06-05-2003, 08:44 PM
Steve Lipson

Default Fronds turning brown! Cyathea cooperi (Australian Tree Fern)

I live in Southern California. I planted a Cyathea cooperi
(Australian Tree Fern) a few weeks ago and shortly afterwards many of
the fronds turned brown! It seemed only the ones that were getting
wet from the watering system so I arranged it so they did not get wet.
Does this sound likely to anyone? It seems strange that a plant from
a rain forest would need dry fronds! Should I cut off the brown
fronds or leave them alone? Thanks for any help!
Old 08-05-2003, 05:08 PM
julieandian lester

Steve
They don't like being moved and the brown leaves may be just it's way of
telling you so. It takes a while for the root system to settle down and keep
it well watered. Are you near the coast? They don't like salty or hot
winds.Be generous with the water - they like high humidity and moist soil.
Also, not keen on full sun. It's OK to cut off old fronds, but normally they
are shed. In 'real life' they are a rainforest understorey plant. They grow
quite fast under appropriate conditions and I have seen some magnificent
oldtimers around 8 metres or more. So, lots of water, protect from wind and
direct sun, and go easy on fertiliser. Check to make sure the crown gets
water and also keep a look out for new fronds uncurling - that's the fun
part.
Cheers
Ian

om...