GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   freebies (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/210227-freebies.html)

songbird[_2_] 13-07-2014 06:55 AM

freebies

ah, we asked today if we could scavange
bricks from the house that has just had
two old fireplaces replaced after the
tornado damaged them. a large roll on
container is sitting there with piles in
it. so far we think we'll be able to
do it. will be a lot of work to move them
but well worth it as we are always short
of bricks/rocks and also any fill i can
get by using the old mortar will be just
fine too. i have places that can use
critter digging deterrents like that...

not that i have time for doing this
kind of work right now or that my hand
is healed completely, but when things
come along like this gotta take advantage
of it.

i tried to talk Ma into seeing if we
could get the roll on container just moved
down here instead of having to do all that
work, but she won't... silly... oh well...

songbird

[email protected] 13-07-2014 07:29 PM

freebies

On Sun, 13 Jul 2014 00:55:23 -0400, songbird
wrote:

ah, we asked today if we could scavange
bricks from the house that has just had
two old fireplaces replaced after the
tornado damaged them. a large roll on
container is sitting there with piles in
it. so far we think we'll be able to
do it. will be a lot of work to move them
but well worth it as we are always short
of bricks/rocks and also any fill i can
get by using the old mortar will be just
fine too. i have places that can use
critter digging deterrents like that...

not that i have time for doing this
kind of work right now or that my hand
is healed completely, but when things
come along like this gotta take advantage
of it.

i tried to talk Ma into seeing if we
could get the roll on container just moved
down here instead of having to do all that
work, but she won't... silly... oh well...

songbird

Salvage is good - but be careful of the dust !
In the 1960's asbestos was added to things like
plaster, mortar, window caulk, as well as the usual
places like ductwork, pipe insulation, etc
John T.

songbird[_2_] 14-07-2014 05:55 AM

freebies

Salvage is good - but be careful of the dust !
In the 1960's asbestos was added to things like
plaster, mortar, window caulk, as well as the usual
places like ductwork, pipe insulation, etc

i know at least one of the chimneys was
over 100yrs old. the bricks are wonderful
compared to some others we've hauled in.
they've been rinsed by a heavy rain or
two already. soot/creosote on some of them
might be a concern if it was for garden
applications, but these are not being
used in close contact with garden soils
yet (and likely won't ever be, but even if
they are it will be after several years of
further weathering).

songbird

brooklyn1 14-07-2014 07:07 PM

freebies

On Sun, 13 Jul 2014 23:55:04 -0400, songbird

Salvage is good - but be careful of the dust !
In the 1960's asbestos was added to things like
plaster, mortar, window caulk, as well as the usual
places like ductwork, pipe insulation, etc

i know at least one of the chimneys was
over 100yrs old. the bricks are wonderful
compared to some others we've hauled in.
they've been rinsed by a heavy rain or
two already. soot/creosote on some of them
might be a concern if it was for garden
applications, but these are not being
used in close contact with garden soils
yet (and likely won't ever be, but even if
they are it will be after several years of
further weathering).

Not talking soot/creosote. The danger inherent with asbestos doesn't
age/weather away... be very cautious of the mortar from old used
brick.
http://www.mesothelioma.com/asbestos...oducts/mortar/
http://www.asbestos.net/exposure/pro...ock-mortar#top

songbird[_2_] 18-07-2014 04:34 AM

freebies

Brooklyn1 wrote:
Not talking soot/creosote. The danger inherent with asbestos doesn't
age/weather away... be very cautious of the mortar from old used
brick.

not much dust or breathing of such,
and it was not likely added back in
those days. we're not near any normal
sources of such asbestos.

today we finished the last load we
wanted, to get more out of the container
would have been great, but it would have
involved digging a lot of other stuff
out of the way.

about a ton and a half of nearly free
materials are nice to come by. some
will be used in eventual covering up
the space that the groundhogs, rabbits,
etc like to use as easy hiding and
nesting/den sites. when i can get to
it i'll gradually fill it in. better
to prevent critter troubles if i can.

saved the person some money too as
they would have had to pay for extra
weight in the container.

Diaguard® 04-08-2014 06:09 PM

Pests on crops or gardens?

We offer a natural solution to control pests! 100% effective!

Diaguard® Natural Insect Control (Diatomaceous Earth)

Order online at www.amazon.co.uk or contact us by phone at (+44) 01865 339 580 or email at .

Diaguard® is a freshwater, "Food Grade", white diatomaceous earth. It has a very high silica content which enables it to literally cut through insects waxy outer layer. Diaguard® has unique characteristics which make it ideal for use as an inert, environmentally safe, non-harmful insecticide.

CAUTION! "Non-Codex" or “Non -Food Grade” DE can and often do contain high levels of heavy metals and crystalline silicas, both of which are unsafe for animal or human consumption.

When using Diaguard®, our clients reduce significantly their costs in the treatment of pests compared to traditional chemical insecticides.
Diaguard® Natural Insect Control is approved for use in organic systems and is certified by the Organic Farmers and Growers.

Order online at
www.amazon.co.uk or contact us by phone at (+44) 01865 339 580 or email at .

For more information visit:
JJS Minerals