GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Christmas cactus (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/210537-christmas-cactus.html)

zxcvbob 27-08-2014 06:16 PM

Christmas cactus

I started a CC in December from a piece that fell off of my MIL's plant.
It was growing nicely under fluorescent lights, and I repotted it
about a month ago and moved it to my desk at work, right by an
east-facing window and the lights are always off at night. I wanted it
to be able to tell the day lengths.

I thought it should be going dormant now that the days are getting
noticably shorter, but instead it's growing like crazy. At least a
dozen new leaves in the past 2 weeks, and I see new ones starting to bud.

Hers was blooming at Thanksgiving; mine could be several weeks before or
after that 'cause I'm hundreds of miles farther north.

Maybe the dormancy period is shorter than I think? And it doesn't start
until after the equinox? I've never grown one of these before. (I had
no idea they grow so fast)

Bob

brooklyn1 27-08-2014 06:38 PM

Christmas cactus

On Wed, 27 Aug 2014 12:16:47 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

I started a CC in December from a piece that fell off of my MIL's plant.
It was growing nicely under fluorescent lights, and I repotted it
about a month ago and moved it to my desk at work, right by an
east-facing window and the lights are always off at night. I wanted it
to be able to tell the day lengths.

I thought it should be going dormant now that the days are getting
noticably shorter, but instead it's growing like crazy. At least a
dozen new leaves in the past 2 weeks, and I see new ones starting to bud.

Hers was blooming at Thanksgiving; mine could be several weeks before or
after that 'cause I'm hundreds of miles farther north.

Maybe the dormancy period is shorter than I think? And it doesn't start
until after the equinox? I've never grown one of these before. (I had
no idea they grow so fast)

There are several varieties:
http://whittongreenhouses.com/variety.htm
http://web.extension.illinois.edu/st...fm?NewsID=8570

Dan Espen[_2_] 27-08-2014 07:20 PM

Christmas cactus

zxcvbob writes:

I started a CC in December from a piece that fell off of my MIL's
plant. It was growing nicely under fluorescent lights, and I repotted
it about a month ago and moved it to my desk at work, right by an
east-facing window and the lights are always off at night. I wanted
it to be able to tell the day lengths.

I thought it should be going dormant now that the days are getting
noticably shorter, but instead it's growing like crazy. At least a
dozen new leaves in the past 2 weeks, and I see new ones starting to
bud.

Hers was blooming at Thanksgiving; mine could be several weeks before
or after that 'cause I'm hundreds of miles farther north.

Maybe the dormancy period is shorter than I think? And it doesn't
start until after the equinox? I've never grown one of these before.
(I had no idea they grow so fast)

Dormancy?

I have 3 of them in a north facing window.
They start blooming around Thanksgiving, end up around May.
(I'm in central NJ.)

When I kept them in a south facing window they would bloom all at once,
the plant covered in flowers. I think I like them blooming all winter.
I turn the plant to see the flowers and another side starts blooming.
I like that a lot.

As for going dormant, I never really noticed any dormant period.
They put out buds and get bigger all the time they are not blooming.

--
Dan Espen

zxcvbob 27-08-2014 07:34 PM

Christmas cactus

Dan Espen wrote:
zxcvbob writes:

I started a CC in December from a piece that fell off of my MIL's
plant. It was growing nicely under fluorescent lights, and I repotted
it about a month ago and moved it to my desk at work, right by an
east-facing window and the lights are always off at night. I wanted
it to be able to tell the day lengths.

I thought it should be going dormant now that the days are getting
noticeably shorter, but instead it's growing like crazy. At least a
[...]

Okay, I'm worrying for nothing. :) I read somewhere that they go
dormant for a while (and you stop watering) before the flower buds
start. Thanks!

Bob

Dan Espen[_2_] 27-08-2014 09:48 PM

Christmas cactus

zxcvbob writes:

Dan Espen wrote:
zxcvbob writes:

[...]

That does sound familiar, hang around and see if anyone else
agrees. I don't stop watering and the plants are doing fine.
I do let them get pretty dry between waterings year round.

--
Dan Espen