GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Lily Seeds (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/210839-lily-seeds.html)

[email protected] 30-10-2014 03:43 AM

Lily Seeds

I have some lilly seeds that I collected from mature seed pods a couple of weeks ago. I do not know what type of lillies they were, so I don't know whether they have to be refrigerated for a month or so before planting. All I can say is that the plants were not the "swamp lillies" that grow in the wild. I live in the Chicago suburbs, so the seeds would naturally fall to the ground sometime in the Fall and then probably not sprout over the winter. If I refrigerate the seeds for a month or so before planting, will that do any damage to the seeds?

songbird[_2_] 31-10-2014 05:25 PM

Lily Seeds

wrote:
I have some lilly seeds that I collected from mature
seed pods a couple of weeks ago. I do not know what type
of lillies they were, so I don't know whether they have to
be refrigerated for a month or so before planting. All I
can say is that the plants were not the "swamp lillies"
that grow in the wild. I live in the Chicago suburbs, so
the seeds would naturally fall to the ground sometime in
the Fall and then probably not sprout over the winter.
If I refrigerate the seeds for a month or so before
planting, will that do any damage to the seeds?

are the seeds thick coated?

they might need some mechanical action to let
moisture in before planting/sprouting.

otherwise i doubt refrigeration would damage them.

songbird