GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What to do with Osage oranges? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/210869-what-do-osage-oranges.html)

[email protected] 09-11-2014 08:47 PM

What to do with Osage oranges?

I have access to a couple dozen Osage Oranges if I want them. But, I can't figure out what to do with them. Help!

David E. Ross[_2_] 09-11-2014 10:14 PM

On 11/9/2014 12:47 PM, wrote:

I have access to a couple dozen Osage Oranges if I want them. But, I
can't figure out what to do with them. Help!

If you mean the fruit, it is not edible.

If you mean the trees, they can grow quite large -- to 60 ft tall and 40
ft wide, making nice shade trees. Or they can be trimmed to form a tall
hedge (not less than 6 ft) that provides some security because new
growth is quite thorny.

Osage orange (Maclura pomifera) is quite hardy down to 10F and actually
needs significant winter chill. It will NOT grow in my climate because
my winters are too mild.

The fruit might be considered ornamental. There are male and female
plants. The female plants will not set fruit unless there is a nearby
male plant. (Such plants are called "dioecious". Dioecious plants
include asparagus, ash trees, and ginkgo trees.)

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see

Fran Farmer 09-11-2014 11:10 PM

On 10/11/2014 7:47 AM, wrote:
I have access to a couple dozen Osage Oranges if I want them. But, I can't figure out what to do with them. Help!

I assume you mean the fruit which is inedible.

A fried of mine does the most wonderful display of them. He makes a
pyramid of them out the front of his house on the nature strip. They
look wonderful.

Steve Peek[_2_] 10-11-2014 04:18 PM

On Sunday, November 9, 2014 3:47:41 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I have access to a couple dozen Osage Oranges if I want them. But, I can't figure out what to do with them. Help!

They are supposed to make wonderful bug repellants.

~misfit~[_4_] 10-11-2014 10:03 PM

wrote:
I have access to a couple dozen Osage Oranges if I want them. But,
I can't figure out what to do with them. Help!

They are supposed to make wonderful bug repellants.

Urban myth....

"The belief about the use of hedge apples for insect control is widespread
and persistent. it is claimed that placing hedge apples around the
foundation or inside the basement will repel or control insects. A few years
ago, Iowa State University toxicologists extracted compounds from hedge
apples. When concentrated, these compounds were found to repel insects.

Scientists also found that natural concentrations of these compounds in the
fruit were too low to be an effective repellent. So, don't be fooled into
spending much to use hedge apples as an insect repellent."

From http://lancaster.unl.edu/enviro/pest...hedgeapple.htm
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Drew Lawson[_2_] 11-11-2014 03:20 PM

What to do with Osage oranges?

In article
" writes:
I have access to a couple dozen Osage Oranges if I want them. But,
I can't figure out what to do with them. Help!

Play softball?

Odd looking trees, but the wood is beautiful.

--
Drew Lawson | Radioactive cats have

brooklyn1 11-11-2014 05:06 PM

hrhofmann writes:

I have access to a couple dozen Osage Oranges if I want them. But,
I can't figure out what to do with them. Help!

Plant them.

Wonderful wood for turning, and is extremely durable... years ago I
bought some blanks for making pens and knife bolsters.
http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-.../osage-orange/

Don Wiss 11-11-2014 05:17 PM

On Sun, 9 Nov 2014 12:47:37 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I have access to a couple dozen Osage Oranges if I want them. But, I can't figure out what to do with them. Help!

Years ago I put a pile of them on my stoop:
http://donwiss.com/pictures/house/h0004.htm

brooklyn1 11-11-2014 07:56 PM

Don Wiss wrote:
hrhofmann wrote:

I have access to a couple dozen Osage Oranges if I want them.
But, I can't figure out what to do with them. Help!

Years ago I put a pile of them on my stoop:
http://donwiss.com/pictures/house/h0004.htm

Very attractive doors.

Fran Farmer 12-11-2014 02:35 AM

On 12/11/2014 6:56 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
Don Wiss wrote:
hrhofmann wrote:

I have access to a couple dozen Osage Oranges if I want them.
But, I can't figure out what to do with them. Help!

Years ago I put a pile of them on my stoop:
http://donwiss.com/pictures/house/h0004.htm

Very attractive doors.

I agree. They are gorgeous doors (and nice looking Osage Oranges too).

Don Wiss 12-11-2014 02:52 AM

Don Wiss wrote:
hrhofmann wrote:

I have access to a couple dozen Osage Oranges if I want them.
But, I can't figure out what to do with them. Help!

Years ago I put a pile of them on my stoop:
http://donwiss.com/pictures/house/h0004.htm

Very attractive doors.

I agree. They are gorgeous doors (and nice looking Osage Oranges too).

They are better looking now. I removed those brass sheets at the bottom
that were covering over damaged wood. I had wood veneered over the damage.
And I removed the metal plates that were surrounding the locks. And the
not-in-use brass doorbell was removed and the stone filled in. (There is
now an intercom.)

What is missing are the solid wood doors that were just behind the pair of
glass doors. The fellow that sold the house in 1959 took them. And still
has them in his basement. (He also took off and gave away many of the
overmantles. All this done after the contract was signed and before the
closing.)

I picked up the osage oranges in Prospect Park. There could be some there
now.

Fran Farmer 12-11-2014 05:46 AM

Don Wiss wrote:
hrhofmann wrote:

[...]

What a mongrel act!!!!! BTW, gorgeous house and stunning timber work,
but I'd like to know what a 'pocket door' happens to be? I've not heard
that term before.

Don Wiss 12-11-2014 07:35 AM

What to do with Osage oranges?

On Wed, 12 Nov 2014, Fran Farmer wrote:

On 12/11/2014 1:52 PM, Don Wiss wrote:
What is missing are the solid wood doors that were just behind the pair of
glass doors. The fellow that sold the house in 1959 took them. And still
has them in his basement. (He also took off and gave away many of the
overmantles. All this done after the contract was signed and before the
closing.)

What a mongrel act!!!!! BTW, gorgeous house and stunning timber work,
but I'd like to know what a 'pocket door' happens to be? I've not heard
that term before.

The fellow that was buying the house in 1959 caught him taking the doors.
They were friends. He let the doors be taken. I don't know about all the
overmantels. But at the time it was a rooming house and people didn't care
so much about these things.

A pocket door slides into the wall. The house has eight of them. Half of
them double doors, and half single doors.

Fran Farmer 12-11-2014 10:38 AM

On 12/11/2014 6:35 PM, Don Wiss wrote:
[...]

Ah! Thank you for explaining. That name makes such obvious sense but
I've not heard that term used for such style doors before. I can't even
bring to mind the name we use for those sorts of doors in this country.
No doubt I'll wake up at 2 am and remember.

songbird[_2_] 12-11-2014 12:20 PM

Fran Farmer wrote:
Don wrote:

A pocket door slides into the wall. The house has eight of them. Half of
them double doors, and half single doors.

Ah! Thank you for explaining. That name makes such obvious sense but
I've not heard that term used for such style doors before. I can't even
bring to mind the name we use for those sorts of doors in this country.
No doubt I'll wake up at 2 am and remember.

we've called them sliding doors. :)

songbird