GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Best way to winterize Geranium plants? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/210905-best-way-winterize-geranium-plants.html)

[email protected] 18-11-2014 05:06 AM

Best way to winterize Geranium plants?

I have 6 hanging baskets of geraniums that I currently have moved to hanging in front of my garage window. The garage never quite gets down to freezing, but does go as low as the mid-30's once or twice a winter, and the plants seem to go essentially dormant until later in the Spring when they get more light from the longer days.

The plants are now leggy after a summer of growing/blooming without any trimming except for dead flower stalks. Should I trim them back now and try to root the cut-offs, or wait until mid-Spring to do the trimming and hopefully rooting the cut-offs?

[email protected] 12-12-2014 04:24 AM

On Monday, November 17, 2014 11:06:53 PM UTC-6, wrote:
I have 6 hanging baskets of geraniums that I currently have moved to hanging in front of my garage window. The garage never quite gets down to freezing, but does go as low as the mid-30's once or twice a winter, and the plants seem to go essentially dormant until later in the Spring when they get more light from the longer days.

The plants are now leggy after a summer of growing/blooming without any trimming except for dead flower stalks. Should I trim them back now and try to root the cut-offs, or wait until mid-Spring to do the trimming and hopefully rooting the cut-offs?

Doesn't anyone have any suggestions??

David E. Ross[_2_] 12-12-2014 07:51 AM

On 12/11/2014 8:24 PM, wrote:
On Monday, November 17, 2014 11:06:53 PM UTC-6, wrote:
I have 6 hanging baskets of geraniums that I currently have moved to hanging in front of my garage window. The garage never quite gets down to freezing, but does go as low as the mid-30's once or twice a winter, and the plants seem to go essentially dormant until later in the Spring when they get more light from the longer days.

The plants are now leggy after a summer of growing/blooming without any trimming except for dead flower stalks. Should I trim them back now and try to root the cut-offs, or wait until mid-Spring to do the trimming and hopefully rooting the cut-offs?

Doesn't anyone have any suggestions??

Do not trim the geraniums now. Trimming them is likely to force new
growth, which will be more tender than mature growth. If there is the
slightest chance of frost, that new growth will be killed.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see