GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Growing cotton (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/210912-growing-cotton.html)

Fran Farmer 21-11-2014 02:17 AM

Growing cotton

Has anyone ever grown cotton in their home garden? I've just ordered
seeds for 3 different coloured cotton so would like some growing tips
form anyone with experience. I am after the bolls as I'm a spinner and
thought it might be interesting to try to grow my own cotton so I'm
after the flowers followed by the bolls.

I had thought that feeding with 'flower and fruit' fertiliser might be
appropriate once I get them growing.

David E. Ross[_2_] 21-11-2014 07:19 AM

Growing cotton

On 11/20/2014 6:17 PM, Fran Farmer wrote:
Has anyone ever grown cotton in their home garden? I've just ordered
seeds for 3 different coloured cotton so would like some growing tips
form anyone with experience. I am after the bolls as I'm a spinner and
thought it might be interesting to try to grow my own cotton so I'm
after the flowers followed by the bolls.

I had thought that feeding with 'flower and fruit' fertiliser might be
appropriate once I get them growing.

As I recall from studying cotton in elementary school more than 60 years
ago, cotton plants require a lot of water and some fertilizer. However,
the bolls are damaged if the plant gets rain as the bolls are ripening.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see

Boron Elgar[_2_] 21-11-2014 01:55 PM

Growing cotton

On Fri, 21 Nov 2014 13:17:06 +1100, Fran Farmer
wrote:

Has anyone ever grown cotton in their home garden? I've just ordered
seeds for 3 different coloured cotton so would like some growing tips
form anyone with experience. I am after the bolls as I'm a spinner and
thought it might be interesting to try to grow my own cotton so I'm
after the flowers followed by the bolls.

I had thought that feeding with 'flower and fruit' fertiliser might be
appropriate once I get them growing.

A friend grew some in her home yard just this past summer and got
enough to spin a bit. You need way bigger than a backyard crop to get
serious with it, though.

Boron

brooklyn1 21-11-2014 06:33 PM

Growing cotton

http://www.cottonsjourney.com/storyofcotton/default.asp

Fran Farmer 21-11-2014 11:59 PM

Growing cotton

On 21/11/2014 6:19 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
On 11/20/2014 6:17 PM, Fran Farmer wrote:
Has anyone ever grown cotton in their home garden? I've just ordered
seeds for 3 different coloured cotton so would like some growing tips
form anyone with experience. I am after the bolls as I'm a spinner and
thought it might be interesting to try to grow my own cotton so I'm
after the flowers followed by the bolls.

I had thought that feeding with 'flower and fruit' fertiliser might be
appropriate once I get them growing.

As I recall from studying cotton in elementary school more than 60 years
ago, cotton plants require a lot of water and some fertilizer. However,
the bolls are damaged if the plant gets rain as the bolls are ripening.

Thanks for that input.

Fran Farmer 22-11-2014 12:01 AM

Growing cotton

wrote:

Has anyone ever grown cotton in their home garden? I've just ordered
seeds for 3 different coloured cotton so would like some growing tips
form anyone with experience. I am after the bolls as I'm a spinner and
thought it might be interesting to try to grow my own cotton so I'm
after the flowers followed by the bolls.

I had thought that feeding with 'flower and fruit' fertiliser might be
appropriate once I get them growing.

A friend grew some in her home yard just this past summer and got
enough to spin a bit. You need way bigger than a backyard crop to get
serious with it, though.

Well that sounds positive. It's good to know that it is possible to
grow enough to have a play with it. Next time you talk to your friend
could you see if she has any particular cultivation tips please and
report back?

brooklyn1 22-11-2014 03:20 PM

Growing cotton

Fran Farmer wrote:

Has anyone ever grown cotton in their home garden? I've just ordered
seeds for 3 different coloured cotton so would like some growing tips
form anyone with experience. I am after the bolls as I'm a spinner and
thought it might be interesting to try to grow my own cotton so I'm
after the flowers followed by the bolls.

I had thought that feeding with 'flower and fruit' fertiliser might be
appropriate once I get them growing.

http://www.cottonsjourney.com/storyofcotton/default.asp

Thanks Sheldon.

Good luck growing... do you also knit as well as spin?
Cotton knits can be kind of weighty.

Fran Farmer 23-11-2014 07:26 AM

Growing cotton

Fran Farmer wrote:

Has anyone ever grown cotton in their home garden? I've just ordered
seeds for 3 different coloured cotton so would like some growing tips
form anyone with experience. I am after the bolls as I'm a spinner and
thought it might be interesting to try to grow my own cotton so I'm
after the flowers followed by the bolls.

I had thought that feeding with 'flower and fruit' fertiliser might be
appropriate once I get them growing.

http://www.cottonsjourney.com/storyofcotton/default.asp

Thanks Sheldon.

Good luck growing... do you also knit as well as spin?
Cotton knits can be kind of weighty.

Yes, I do knit, but I wasn't thinking of knitting any cotton. Years
ago, I knitted one short sleeved top and as you say, it was heavy and
too hot for our summers. I was thinking that I might include any cotton
I can manage to produce into some weaving project or other.

First I have to actually grow it and the seeds haven't even arrived yet
- hopefully that should be tomorrow or the next day.

brooklyn1 23-11-2014 12:06 PM

Growing cotton

Fran Farmer wrote:
Brooklyn1 wrote:
Fran Farmer wrote:
Brooklyn1 wrote:
Fran Farmer wrote:

[...]

Then you've plenty of time to ponder what to do with your crop,
perhaps some colorful cotton collages:
http://www.suebenner.com/pages/galleryrecentwork.html

Boron Elgar[_2_] 23-11-2014 02:54 PM

Growing cotton

wrote:

Has anyone ever grown cotton in their home garden? I've just ordered
seeds for 3 different coloured cotton so would like some growing tips
form anyone with experience. I am after the bolls as I'm a spinner and
thought it might be interesting to try to grow my own cotton so I'm
after the flowers followed by the bolls.

I had thought that feeding with 'flower and fruit' fertiliser might be
appropriate once I get them growing.

A friend grew some in her home yard just this past summer and got
enough to spin a bit. You need way bigger than a backyard crop to get
serious with it, though.

Well that sounds positive. It's good to know that it is possible to
grow enough to have a play with it. Next time you talk to your friend
could you see if she has any particular cultivation tips please and
report back?

I will. Her garden is in Alabama - long, hot & humid summers. Cotton
territory.

Boron

Fran Farmer 24-11-2014 10:45 AM

Growing cotton

wrote:

[...]

Ah. We don't have humid here. Hot yes, but not humid as we're inland.
Is humid important for cotton do you know?

Drat, now I've got a song about Alabama running my brain and I'm darned
if I can remember who sun it or enough of the lyrics to do a google!!!!

Fran Farmer 24-11-2014 10:54 AM

Growing cotton

On 23/11/2014 11:06 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
Fran Farmer wrote:
Brooklyn1 wrote:
Fran Farmer wrote:
Brooklyn1 wrote:
Fran Farmer wrote:

[...]

Wow. Stunning work. Thanks for posting that link.

Boron Elgar[_2_] 24-11-2014 12:19 PM

Growing cotton

wrote:

[...]

Certainly here in the US cotton was grown under such conditions (its
commercial heyday is long gone here) .

Granted, these requirements are mainly for commercial plantings, but a
quick Google shows what you see blow...Odd, the list below mentions
"dry conditions," but when cotton was king in the south before the
Civil war, I assure you, nothing was dry about the climate down
there....Mississippi River delta provided the water and the shipping
lanes..

http://www.organiccotton.org/oc/Cott...quirements.php
Cotton is grown between latitudes of 37° north and 30° south in
temperate, subtropical and tropical regions and on every continent.

Ideal conditions for the cotton plant a

Long vegetation periods (175 to 225 days) without frost.
Constant temperatures between 18 and 30°.
Ample sunshine and fairly dry conditions.
A minimum of 500 mm of water between germination and boll formation.
Deep, well-drained soils with a good nutrient content.

brooklyn1 24-11-2014 04:49 PM

Growing cotton

wrote:

[...]

Drat, now I've got a song about Alabama running through my brain and I'm darned
if I can remember who sung it or enough of the lyrics to do a google!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oh!_Susanna
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYiXyZwgPB8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZXvxOXXdCk