Old 30-11-2014, 12:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default What to do with all the leaves?

On 11/26/2014 7:42 PM, Gus Overton wrote:
In the 70s people used to burn them in my hometown, I remember my dad doing it but it was noticed that's not really good idea when the flaming leaves get on houses, dry bushes, etc. And the city created a law banning it

I'm an idiot. I put the front leaves in a plastic bag. I forgot you aren't supposed to do that anymore. They have biodegradable bags now you use. I assume the hardware store down the street has some.

There were a billion leaves in the backyard and I did put those where the tomato plants were. I guess I should empty the plastic bag back there too. But there are so many leaves I don't think they will decompose. I should bury them?

They make wonderful mulch to protect delicate plants in winter and to
keep weeds down in shrub/flower beds. They are especially good mulch
for acid-loving shrubs like azalea and rhododendron. I pile then into
my flower beds in fall, just as flowers have been hit by frost and no
longer showing live foliage....leaving them piled around the more
delicate perennials helps prevent winter damage and when the leaves
become wet and pack down, they do a great job of stopping weed growth in
spring. By summer, they pretty much break down into nourishment for the
plants....or turn them onto a compost pile to build good dirt.
Old 30-11-2014, 06:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

Peter Jason wrote:
On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 22:42:00 -0500, Dan Espen
wrote:

Gus Overton writes:

In the 70s people used to burn them in my hometown, I remember my
dad doing it but it was noticed that's not really good idea when the
flaming leaves get on houses, dry bushes, etc. And the city
created a law banning it

I'm an idiot. I put the front leaves in a plastic bag. I forgot
you aren't supposed to do that anymore. They have biodegradable
bags now you use. I assume the hardware store down the street has
some.

There were a billion leaves in the backyard and I did put those
where the tomato plants were. I guess I should empty the plastic
bag back there too. But there are so many leaves I don't think they
will decompose. I should bury them?

Nope, way too much work.

My leaf pile is as big as a van.
It's behind some bushes.

Takes one to 2 years to turn back into dirt.

Not if you set fire to the pile.

There are good reasons that is now illegal many places.

Old 30-11-2014, 08:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Gus Overton writes:

[...]

In the County where I live burning leaves is illegal, and carries a
very stiff fine; $15,000.00
Can't burn trash, treated scrap lumber and many other combustables...
won't be long all wood stoves will be banned.
http://www.dec.ny.gov/chemical/58519.html
Old 01-12-2014, 02:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Gus Overton writes:

[...]

I live in a small Iowa village and it is perfectly legal to burn your
leaves. In fact, we attempted to burn leaves yesterday but they were
still a bit wet so most of them did not burn. My neighbor just put in a
high dollar outdoor wood stove that is a hot water system to heat his
home and his shop. He only needs to put additional wood in it every 4 to
5 days. It also has a 500 gallon water tank above the fire pit and two
pumps that circulate the water to the house and/or shop when called by
one or both of the thermostats.

It is a pretty high tech outfit but on the downside it cost $8,000 plus. :-(

Old 02-12-2014, 11:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Gus Overton writes:

[...]

IMO it would have made a lot more sense to have used that amount of money to
install efficient heat pump based heating (which could also act as AC if
needed).
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Old 05-12-2014, 08:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

it just so happened the other day some friends brought
by some of the leaves they've raked from their yard.

i had cardboard and stuff to put down first to smother
some weeds and then topped the area with the leaves.

by next fall it will probably start to be colonized
by strawberry plants.

the whole area is full of plants i don't want to
keep taking over so this is a good use of both
cardboard and leaves.

we'll be trying out some other material to use as
a root/stolon barrier for the weeds/grasses which keep
coming in from the drainage ditch (including horsetail).
each year i keep saying i don't want to spend much time
back there because of how it is so poorly situated it just
begs for making more work. so instead of feeding the time
sink i want to work on other stuff which is further in from
the borders and can be more easily defended and doesn't
take that much time to do. once we get a proper root/stolon
barrier down then i don't mind taking care of a garden
because it becomes so much easier. and if it is mulched
that is even better.

songbird
Old 07-12-2014, 06:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Gus Overton writes:

[...]

I think that would depend on his wood source and electrical costs.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Gus Overton writes:

[...]

Indeed. I think that we can assume that electricity will always be
available.....

Old 08-12-2014, 05:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Gus Overton writes:

[...]

Electricity is not always available. Where I live, Southern California
Edison can fail at any time of the year. We do not get snow, so that is
not a cause of failure. While high air conditioning usage might cause a
failure in the summer, it does not explain failures in the winter since
most homes here have natural gas for heat. I think the main cause of
failure might be a lack of preventive maintenance by SoCalEd on its
distribution system. Thankfully, we have mild winters and -- for the
summer -- lots of shade trees.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 09-12-2014, 09:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wednesday, November 26, 2014 5:28:18 PM UTC-8, David Hare-Scott wrote:
Gus Overton wrote:
In the 70s people used to burn them in my hometown, I remember my dad
doing it but it was noticed that's not really good idea when the
flaming leaves get on houses, dry bushes, etc. And the city created
a law banning it

I'm an idiot. I put the front leaves in a plastic bag. I forgot you
aren't supposed to do that anymore. They have biodegradable bags now
you use. I assume the hardware store down the street has some.

There were a billion leaves in the backyard and I did put those where
the tomato plants were. I guess I should empty the plastic bag back
there too. But there are so many leaves I don't think they will
decompose. I should bury them?

Compost them. Any large container will do, or make a heap, perhaps cover
initially if they tend to blow around. Some dampness will speed the
process.
--
David

A better world requires a daily struggle
against those who would mislead us.

David is much more virtuous than I leaves. (We garden on opposite sides of the same mountain in So Calif, but different micro-climates.)

I don't have many deciduous trees, so am not bothered much by shedding and don't have enough leaves to bother composting like I used to do -- kitchen scraps and all. Now I turn it all over to the City, which rewards us with quarterly compost giveaways.

The cosmetic aspect is what bugs me, frivolous though it may be. I don't like my careful garden plots cluttered with yellowing leaf litter. Tired of raking, I cover mess with small-bore mulch. And repeat. How high will this plateau eventually rise? Stay tuned G

HB

we garden on two sides of the same mountain in So. Cal. but different micro-climates.)

Old 09-12-2014, 10:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
Gus Overton wrote:
[...]

We have known that for ages.

leaves. (We garden on opposite
sides of the same mountain in So Calif, but different
micro-climates.)

I don't have many deciduous trees, so am not bothered much by
shedding and don't have enough leaves to bother composting like I
used to do -- kitchen scraps and all. Now I turn it all over to the
City, which rewards us with quarterly compost giveaways.

I reckon it is my organic matter and I see no reason to give it away to the
authorities.

The cosmetic aspect is what bugs me, frivolous though it may be. I
don't like my careful garden plots cluttered with yellowing leaf
litter.

Compost first and this will not be a problem.

Tired of raking, I cover mess with small-bore mulch. And
repeat. How high will this plateau eventually rise? Stay tuned G

HB

we garden on two sides of the same mountain in So. Cal. but different
micro-climates.)

Not this David, we are a continent apart.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 12/9/2014 1:10 PM, David Hare-Scott wrote [in part]:
Hypatia Nachshon wrote [also in part]:
we garden on two sides of the same mountain in So. Cal. but different
micro-climates.)

Not this David, we are a continent apart.

Hypatia has confused you with me.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Gus Overton writes:

[...]

Ahh. OK. I live in a civilised country and the electricity is supplied
99.999% of the time.

Mea culpa. I guess that's what you get when you assume that everyone else on
usenet is in the same country as you cough.

Old 10-12-2014, 04:39 AM posted to rec.gardens

David E. Ross wrote:
On 12/9/2014 1:10 PM, David Hare-Scott wrote [in part]:
Hypatia Nachshon wrote [also in part]:
we garden on two sides of the same mountain in So. Cal. but
different micro-climates.)

Not this David, we are a continent apart.

Hypatia has confused you with me.

Apparently nominative determinism isn't working for her then.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tuesday, December 9, 2014 3:50:27 PM UTC-8, David E. Ross wrote:
On 12/9/2014 1:10 PM, David Hare-Scott wrote [in part]:
Hypatia Nachshon wrote [also in part]:
we garden on two sides of the same mountain in So. Cal. but different
micro-climates.)

Not this David, we are a continent apart.

Hypatia has confused you with me.

No I haven't!! It should have been quite clear that gardening in So. Cal. is NOT gardening in OZ. Besides David Ross is always a perfect gentleman.

HB