GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   transplanting night blooming jasmine (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/2110-transplanting-night-blooming-jasmine.html)

Zemedelec 28-02-2003 01:51 AM

transplanting night blooming jasmine

I have some mature nightblooming jasmine bushes, some of which I want to get
rid of. The frost (New Orleans, south of lake) killed the leaves but the
trunks and bigger branches are healthy. A friend--not terribly experienced in
gardening--said she'd dig them and take them in her truck. Is there any way
to do this without killing either the trees or the friend?

zemedelec

animaux 28-02-2003 04:16 AM

On 28 Feb 2003 01:41:17 GMT, pamfree (Zemedelec) wrote:

I have some mature nightblooming jasmine bushes, some of which I want to get
rid of. The frost (New Orleans, south of lake) killed the leaves but the
trunks and bigger branches are healthy. A friend--not terribly experienced in
gardening--said she'd dig them and take them in her truck. Is there any way
to do this without killing either the trees or the friend?

zemedelec

Buy a roll of burlap from Home Depot. Dig as large a root ball as you can carry
and tie it up with the burlap. Better do it fast as heat is on the way. She
should prepare the hole where it is to be planted before digging it out so it
can go right in. Water it well the night or two before removing it. Cut it way
back before digging it out.

I hate the smell of that plant. It is so wafting and sweet, but to my nose,
just too much. To be sure it is still alive, scratch the bark. If green, it
will do just fine if transplanted, but it has to immediately go into the ground
and it needs to be moved with AS much soil around the root ball as possible,
thus, the burlap. Remove the burlap when you plant it into the new hole.

Victoria

Beecrofter 28-02-2003 05:03 PM

pamfree (Zemedelec) wrote in message ...
I have some mature nightblooming jasmine bushes, some of which I want to get
rid of. The frost (New Orleans, south of lake) killed the leaves but the
trunks and bigger branches are healthy. A friend--not terribly experienced in
gardening--said she'd dig them and take them in her truck. Is there any way
to do this without killing either the trees or the friend?

zemedelec

Pretty tough stuff although us Yankees have to grow it as house
plants.
Don't let the roots dry even for a moment and you should be fine.
I would trim the top back by at least a third and when replanting it I
would water it in twice to be rid of any air pockets.

jcart003 28-02-2003 05:39 PM

transplanting night blooming jasmine

I am not sure exactally about that jasmine, but my experience with
jasmines in general is they are tough as nails, especially if they
have a good start! I would think that as much root as possible and cut
the top back pretty severely should work! Of course that isn't any
brilliant new discovery....

Zemedelec 28-02-2003 06:03 PM

transplanting night blooming jasmine

Thank y'all about the advice on the Jasmine.''

Leslie
zemedelec