Old 02-01-2015, 01:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Chlorinate rain water?

Boron Elgar wrote:
On Thu, 1 Jan 2015 10:50:14 +1100, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

Boron Elgar wrote:
On Tue, 30 Dec 2014 16:52:16 +1100, Fran Farmer
wrote:

On 30/12/2014 9:10 AM, David Hare-Scott wrote:
Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
Managed to save 2 trashcans full from our recent welcome rains.

Plan to use them for potted plants, indoor & out. They are SO
much happier with clean sky water! You folks that get rain don't
realize how precious this is.

Water may last quite a while. Should I chlorinate it to avoid
--what? Haven't seen any mosquitoes breeding over last [censored]
years...but...

If yes, how much bleach per 32 gal trash can?

TIA

HB

Why go to the trouble of collecting clean water, that you claim is
better for your plants, to then pollute it? What do you imagine
might grow in it that would harm your plants? To repel mossies
hang socks around the rim of the tubs.

:-)) I once saw a question in a newsgroup from someone who asked
whether he could drink rainwater. You can imagine how that made me
roll around laughing.

http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/drin...ollection.html

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/can-wat...ink-78356.html

http://www.harvesth2o.com/filtration...l#.VKQLoSvF-6U

Sure there are risks involved in anything that you ingest but these
articles are not balanced. There seems to be an unstated assumption
in relation to modern public health (often from the USA) that
anything that is not sterile is a serious risk. We see this in 100
ways, where you can't eat this or touch that, your kitchen benches
MUST be cleaned with some handy dandy steriliser and you will drop
dead if any human hand has touched the food before you put it in
your mouth.

That is not the intent or implication of *any* of these articles. You
seem to have read that into them all by yourself, then conflated it
into the rant you posted while sliding down an awfully slippery slope,
Mr. StrawMan.

Stick to the specific topic.

Boron

Ok then what do the articles actually mean and what point do you intend to
make? Say it in your own words so I don't have to guess. Or are we going
down the path of the microwave cooking thread where you refuse to do so?

--
David

A better world requires a daily struggle
against those who would mislead us.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
[...]

I think the authors of those articles need to get out more.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 2/01/2015 2:06 AM, songbird wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
So the upshot of it is there are risks to living and you should not imagine
that those risks are eliminated in town water or necessarily greater in roof
water.

there are decent (low tech even) systems which reject
the first amount of runoff from a rooftop collection
system which avoids most of the "gunk".

We drink the rainwater we collect from our various roof surfaces as do
all of our rural neighbours. There is no way known that we would ever
install those 'first flush' diverters. It wastes too much water from
what might be a brief passing rain event.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 1/01/2015 6:16 AM, songbird wrote:
Fran Farmer wrote:
:-)) I once saw a question in a newsgroup from someone who asked whether
he could drink rainwater. You can imagine how that made me roll around
laughing.

consider yourself very blessed that you live someplace
where it may be safe enough to do so.

Even in most of our cities people are now choosing to install rain water
tanks (cisterns in USian).

Old 02-01-2015, 03:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

Fran Farmer wrote:
songbird wrote:

there are decent (low tech even) systems which reject
the first amount of runoff from a rooftop collection
system which avoids most of the "gunk".

We drink the rainwater we collect from our various roof surfaces as do
all of our rural neighbours. There is no way known that we would ever
install those 'first flush' diverters. It wastes too much water from
what might be a brief passing rain event.

if i were in that dire of a situation (where i couldn't
afford 1 bucket to be diverted to a garden) i'd be looking
at a filtering system, enclosed greenhouses and other
water vapor preserving methods.

songbird

Old 02-01-2015, 02:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

songbird wrote:
Fran Farmer wrote:
songbird wrote:

there are decent (low tech even) systems which reject
the first amount of runoff from a rooftop collection
system which avoids most of the "gunk".

We drink the rainwater we collect from our various roof surfaces as do
all of our rural neighbours. There is no way known that we would ever
install those 'first flush' diverters. It wastes too much water from
what might be a brief passing rain event.

if i were in that dire of a situation (where i couldn't
afford 1 bucket to be diverted to a garden) i'd be looking
at a filtering system, enclosed greenhouses and other
water vapor preserving methods.

I have my own private well for all my water needs, that water is
filtered for sediment, treated with UV, softened, and for drinking
pre-softened water passes through a Reverse Osmosis filter... thing is
an RO filter makes 3-4 gallons of gray water for each gallon of
filtered water, that gray water is piped to my lawn where it flows via
gravity to water a few shrubs. Were I collecting rain water for
drinking I would definitely RO filter it, untreated rain water is
poluted. Anyone drinking collected rain water is drinking worse
quality water than the gray water from my RO filter. No one drinks so
much water in a day that they can't afford to produce some as gray
water, certainly less than a few toilet flushes. RO filters are very
inexpensive, costs far less than element filters and works a thousand
fold better than any other filtration system. Considering the price
of an RO filter and the cost of water (I still need to pay for my well
water in electric and maintainence) each gallon of RO filtered water
costs five cents... and also saves more than it costs in not having to
buy bottled water... bottled water is just ordinary tap water, albeit
from someone elses tap... buying bottled water is paying for plastic
bottles and transportation, the water is pretty much free... those
plastic bottles are huge polutants.
Old 27-02-2015, 10:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
[...]

This is a relflection of ignorance, stupid officials covering their
arses, commercial interest in selling 'remedies' and the consequences of
(what seems to outsiders) of endemic poor commercial food handling
practices that result in mass poisoning by strains of E Coli in
supermarket salad veges. This is of course intertwinned with a big dose
of "yuuuuuuccckkkkk how could you possibly (eat, touch, drink) that"
from people who have no idea where food or drink come from nor the
trillions of microorganisms to be found in every part of your house.
This view conveniently ignores the fact that your environment is never
sterile and never will be. You will always need the defences of your
body to keep out foreign organisms.

It is as if a whole generation have compromised immune systems are will
drop like flies of not kept in an airtight bubble.

In country Australia 90% of domestic water is collected from roofs and
aside from gross fitering to keep out solids and insects it is
untreated. It is fine water and there is no pattern of ill health
because of it and no attempt by authorities to regulate it or to insist
on treatment. Such water is never hard and is never over-chlorinated
(because it isn't chlorinated) and you never get transmission of
diseases to millions such as happens from time to time with reticulated
water. I am thinking things like Giardia and Cryptosporidium that have
been found in major city (eg Sydney) water supplies. There is city (eg
Adelaide) water that is so hard that people buy bottled water to wash
their hair.

Alright in the country but in the cities and especially industrial areas
all sorts of acids and chemicals land on your roof and are washed into
the tank,
can alleviate that a bit by diverting the first part of rain fall
elsewhere for a while then back to tank

The last time I was on town water it tasted terrible and every time I
ran the shower I got a coughing fit from the chlorine. To me the health
risks from those things were far worse than the possibility of the yuk
factor from a bit of bird poo. As if city water supplies never get bird
poo or dead animals in them, the difference is you don't see it. Sure
the water is treated but mostly this is chlorine and as the articles say
some bugs are resistant to it.

I am reminded of a very large dinner party where I served dessert and
forgot the garnish of sliced guava. I brought out the dish of garnish
and asked who wanted any. Some said yes others no. One said he would
have some if I used a spoon to serve. So I got a spoon and served and
he had some and ate it with relish. I later explained that I had to
touch the fruit to peel and slice it and in fact every dish that he had
eaten through the night had been touched by those same paws and
consequently if I was infected death would be quick and nasty. He
sheepishly admitted that he knew that there was no real risk but he just
couldn't WATCH me use my fingers and then eat the food I had touched.

So the upshot of it is there are risks to living and you should not
imagine that those risks are eliminated in town water or necessarily
greater in roof water.

But we drift OT as HB never said anything about drinking it. What is
your opinion on treating rainwater for the garden?