Old 29-01-2015, 12:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default tom-tato?

songbird wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
find it a little aromatic for the patio or the front room too.

in an arid climate i'd not want to use a lot of it
all the time, but right before the rainy season is
likely ok.

I am not talking about emptying the chamber pots of the whole family on one
lemon tree daily but ****ing on one of my fruit trees as the opportunity
arrises. I cannot persuade Her Indoors to contribute.

For those
who are about to read me a lesson on public health your urine ought
to be sterile unless you have a urinary tract infection in which
case you should be seeing the doctor not ****ing on your plants.

recently the knowledge on this has changed. originally
when such studies were made baterial levels were below that
easily detectable, now they find that "urine is sterile" is a
myth. so it does usually have some bacteria in it but that
doesn't mean it is a problem when properly composted.

We can argue about what is meant by 'sterile', if you need special modern
techniques to detect pathogens but still they are there you are technically
correct. However from a practical point of view it is not a health risk.
Of course anything composted is far from sterile by any definition.

poo & pee together with some carbon source (sawdust,
shredded leaves, etc.) is about the perfect combination
and will compost nicely.

there are plenty of nutrients in feces from humans,
bacteria will use it as an energy source quite easily.
trace elements that did not get absorbed, etc. all often
well appreciated by plant life.

though i do not believe in "design" i do think that we
are here in this system and not outside of it so that
what goes in and comes back out are a good part of the
whole. just treat it with the respect it deserves.

if you are in an arid climate with little access to
organic materials use it instead of wasting it.

A good idea in principle but much harder to manage in practice. Feces do
require considerable care and management to be safe whereas urine doesn't.
As you observe much more suited to a dry climate. I have friends who have
for idealogical reasons installed composting toilets in a wet climate and it
is a constant source of problems.
--
David

A better world requires a daily struggle
against those who would mislead us.

Old 29-01-2015, 12:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

Once upon a time on usenet David Hare-Scott wrote:
[snipped]
Human urine is not concentrated enough to harm plants in the ground,
it might be possible if you flooded a potted plants but then you
might also find it a little aromatic for the patio or the front room
too.

My experience differs from your statement. I used to sleep in a 'sleep-out'
at my parents home and, as the toilet was inside and I am a night-owl I'd
often pee on the lawn / garden at night so as not to disturb others. I'd
take care to pee in a different place each time but still there would
sometimes be patches of lawn etc. that would brown off. There was no smell
of urine.

Now I realise that it could just be me and *my* urine that caused it but
once I started to 'spread it around', even (carefully) walking sideways as I
peed it ceased to be a problem and instead those areas started to grow
better than surroundings. That was a couple of decades ago and sowed the
seeds of my current micturition horticulture practices.

I have since found it much easier to pee in a bucket, dilute it ~10:1 with
water in the morning and use a watering can. That way it's not just the
closest area to my bedroom door that gets the benefit and I don't have to
worry about peeing on my legs or triping over while doing it. Also I no
longer live in a rural area and don't fancy getting arrested for indecent
exposure. ;-)
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Old 29-01-2015, 12:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

Once upon a time on usenet songbird wrote:
~misfit~ wrote:
Thanks for the kind words. A sit-rep of my disability below, feel
free to not read it.....

much sympathy, it's no fun, that is for sure!

Thank you. Indeed it's not fun.

my chiropractor has helped me a lot. and i've
done a lot of studying to see what is going on and
what might help the most. right now i am stable
and fairly pain free (off and on again problems for
37 years). i am not restored to perfect function
though so i do have to be wary of certain things
and pay attention to when my back has had enough.

Yes, as do I. Good to hear that you are fairly pain free these days

unfortunately, most people are not taught how to
take care of their back in health class or on the
job training (along with proper lifting techniques).
i wasn't.

for some jobs this training should be mandatory
along with a basic fitness test (to make sure your
abdominal muscles are strong enough and lifting
techniques are proper).

the morning is the most likely time to blow out a
disc because they get recharged at night and the fluids
in them make them stiff until you can get them
limbered up (gently).

Mornings are worst for me these days as, during the day my 'tenderloins'
subconsciously bunch up and semi-immobilise the injured area. Late in the
day they feel like hard rubber and I'd have difficulty moving my disc-less
area if I wanted to. However they relax as I sleep and, during the early
part of the day I feel very vulnerable and take great care not to twist my
lower back.

if you are doing any kind of garden work or heavy
lifting or even bending in the morning it is always
a good idea to warm up first.

Very much so.

most of the injuries to my back could have been
avoided had i known such things. it's always a bad
idea to take someone and throw them into heavy
work without conditioning and training. had i been
given such i think i could have avoided most of my
troubles and the injuries i did have would have been
much less troublesome over the longer term.

My injury was a freak occurance and, while I'd never put myself in a
situation where it could occur again it wasn't something that could have
been avoided by education. That said most back injuries *could* be avoided
if only people were given more information and bosses were made to stick to
a code of conduct with their workers.

living some place i could swim in the ocean on a
regular basis would be really nice and the most help.
around here i try to take regular walks and of course
keep active in the gardens when the ground isn't
frozen.

Swimming in the ocean would be nice - as long as there wasn't too much surf
to put pressure on my lower back. However I now live on the cheap side of
town and going for walks is almost inviting trouble so my excercise is
limited to gardening and (careful) lawnmowing.

Cheers,

Old 29-01-2015, 05:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 6:46:30 PM UTC-5, ~misfit~ wrote:
[...]

Don't pee on the azaleas! I killed a 1/2 dozen of the missus's.
Old 29-01-2015, 06:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

Steve Peekingese wrote:

Don't pee on the azaleas! I killed a 1/2 dozen of the missus's.

Did the missus bring you to the Vet for neutering?

Old 30-01-2015, 11:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

Once upon a time on usenet Steve Peek wrote:
[...]

Heh! Now if you'd diluted that pee with water 10:1 you'd have made them grow
much better than the rest instead of killing them. ;-)

Old 30-01-2015, 05:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thursday, January 29, 2015 at 12:20:12 PM UTC-5, Brooklyn1 wrote:
Steve Peekingese wrote:

Don't pee on the azaleas! I killed a 1/2 dozen of the missus's.

Did the missus bring you to the Vet for neutering?

I never admitted to it.
Old 30-01-2015, 08:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

Steve Peek wrote:
Brooklyn1 wrote:
Steve Peekingese wrote:

Don't pee on the azaleas! I killed a 1/2 dozen of the missus's.

Did the missus bring you to the Vet for neutering?

I never admitted to it.

That was wise, as you knew she would have raised your voice a few
octaves. hehe
Old 30-01-2015, 08:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Friday, January 30, 2015 at 2:10:02 PM UTC-5, Brooklyn1 wrote:
Steve Peek wrote:
Brooklyn1 wrote:
Steve Peekingese wrote:

Don't pee on the azaleas! I killed a 1/2 dozen of the missus's.

Did the missus bring you to the Vet for neutering?

I never admitted to it.

That was wise, as you knew she would have raised your voice a few
octaves. hehe

Yep, I was born at night, but twasn't last night.