Old 27-01-2015, 09:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default What is this stringy weed in my ice plant

In article
"Walter E." writes:
I live in Southern California. This stringy weed has invaded my iceplant and
I do not know how to get rid of it. it is unsightly and creates mats. It is
so badly interspersed with my regular ice plant that I cannot pull
individual strands. What is it? How do I get rid of it?

It is a small leaf iceplant. Had it in my front yard in San Jose
and mostly liked it. I don't know how to kill it, as I never tried.

http://postimg.org/image/6jqtddcfd/

http://postimg.org/image/qzyc0qckl/
--

www.rationality.net

--
Drew Lawson | Savage bed foot-warmer
Old 27-01-2015, 11:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

Drew Lawson wrote:
Walter E. writes:
I live in Southern California. This stringy weed has invaded my iceplant and
I do not know how to get rid of it. it is unsightly and creates mats. It is
so badly interspersed with my regular ice plant that I cannot pull
individual strands. What is it? How do I get rid of it?

It is a small leaf iceplant. Had it in my front yard in San Jose
and mostly liked it. I don't know how to kill it, as I never tried.

usually repeatedly cutting it to the ground should
eventually take it out, but you do have to be persistent
and consistent. for larger patches i'll set goals of
so many square feet at a time to get weeded and then
the next time i'll scan what i've done previously for
what i've missed before starting on the next part. after
a few seasons the problem plants are hard to find and
what i've left behind has taken over.

if you want to go the mechanical route, digging and
removing all roots found and then replanting with what
you do want to grow in that space, followed by a regular
close eye to remove any regrowth from bits or seeds that
you missed the first time around.

smothering it with landscape fabric and a fairly deep
layer of mulch is another option.

songbird

[IMG] code is On

Sea Shepherd Announces: Seal Defense Campaign 2008! Sea ShepherdCrew to Shift from the Southern Ice to the Northern Ice [email protected] United Kingdom 1 06-04-2008 09:41 AM
yucky green stringy moss SNC Ponds 6 12-06-2004 01:02 PM
Green stringy algae and what to do about it John Worfin Freshwater Aquaria Plants 5 20-04-2003 07:23 AM
How do I get rid of stringy green moss in my Koi pond? RoundRide Ponds 2 10-03-2003 06:08 PM
Green stringy algae and what to do about it John Worfin Freshwater Aquaria Plants 16 21-02-2003 12:21 AM