Old 19-02-2015, 01:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Scientists lie?

Frank wrote:
On 2/17/2015 6:29 AM, David Hare-Scott wrote:
Frank wrote:
Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
"This Changes Everything" Klein, The relationship between growth,
capitalism and climate denial.

Klein is a vicious ideological opponent of Israel; inter alia, she
is a proponent of the infamous BDS movement. She belongs to the
lunatic far-far-Left fringe.

There is a great deal of healthy writing out there to educate us
without ingesting the ejaculations of this ideological "merchant
of hate"

HB

I don't accept every word in any of the books I listed but I
recommend them as presenting some good facts and some good ideas
worth thinking about I am more interested in the ideas Klein
presents on the specific
topic than her general demeanour or its perception, or what she
thinks of Israel. People we dislike can say good things and those
we like can say bad things. The great Linus Pauling (the only
person to get two Nobel Prizes in his own right) said a lot of
crap about vitamin C. Expressing your loathing of the author of a
book you haven't read is
not a useful book review. Anyway back to radishes.

I looked over your list of books and it is obvious from the titles
what the conclusions are.

#1 not obvious but you could probably make a fair guess.
#2 really obvious
#3 you must be a mind reader

But aside from the facile observations that the content of many books
has a relationship to their titles did you read any of them? Do you
have any observations about whether they supported their conclusions
or not, or do you make it a point to only read books that support
your politics and pre-conceived ideas?

Not did I read any of them, but why should I read any of them.

Only to be able to judge whether the conclusions were justified by the
evidence presented, clearly not something you are too concerned about. You
prefer to make snarky comments about them based on ignorance - which is of
course your right.

--
David

Corporate propaganda is their
protection against democracy

#1 not obvious but you could probably make a fair guess.
#2 really obvious
#3 you must be a mind reader

But aside from the facile observations that the content of many books
has a relationship to their titles did you read any of them? Do you
have any observations about whether they supported their conclusions
or not, or do you make it a point to only read books that support
your politics and pre-conceived ideas?

Not did I read any of them, but why should I read any of them.

Only to be able to judge whether the conclusions were justified by the
evidence presented, clearly not something you are too concerned about.
You prefer to make snarky comments about them based on ignorance - which
is of course your right.

If this annoys you, it is fine by me.
Old 19-02-2015, 09:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

Frank wrote:

If this annoys you, it is fine by me.

plonk

#1 not obvious but you could probably make a fair guess.
#2 really obvious
#3 you must be a mind reader

But aside from the facile observations that the content of many books
has a relationship to their titles did you read any of them? Do you
have any observations about whether they supported their conclusions
or not, or do you make it a point to only read books that support
your politics and pre-conceived ideas?

Not did I read any of them, but why should I read any of them.

Only to be able to judge whether the conclusions were justified by the
evidence presented, clearly not something you are too concerned about.
You prefer to make snarky comments about them based on ignorance - which
is of course your right.

If this annoys you, it is fine by me.

That snark was a good illustration of the very point that David was
making.

Old 21-02-2015, 01:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 02/08/2015 09:43 AM, Frank wrote:
Who would have thunk it?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/eart...ndal-ever.html

Hi Frank,

Here is a fun read from the non-idealogical (non-religious)
side of climate studies.

http://scienceandpublicpolicy.org/im...not_rising.pdf

"The President of Tuvalu continues to claim that his islands
are being flooded. Yet the tide-gauge data provide clear
indications of stability over the last 30 years (Mörner,
2007ac, 2010b; Murphy, 2007). In Vanuatu, the tide gauge
indicates a stable sea level over the last 14 years (Mörner,
2007c)

Great telemetry too

That is only a tiny tid bit of the article. It sounds like
Tuvalu has their hand out for money!

-T

Can't wait for Professor Nils-Axel Mörner to be called a known liar
by the Lysenkoists, yada, yada, yada . (Then they will discover
that -- surprise -- "-T" is actually "Todd!" Duh!!!)

Religion and politics need to butt out of science.

Old 21-02-2015, 01:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 20 Feb 2015 17:04:47 -0800, T wrote:

[...]

Mornier's sources reject his claims.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/Nils...evel-rise.html
Old 21-02-2015, 02:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 2/20/2015 8:04 PM, T wrote:
[...]

Whether warming, cooling or neither, the science has been highly
politicized mainly by those that are government control freaks, i.e.
progressives/liberals. Just trying to point out that it is not beyond
scientists to cherry pick data or even lie for their own advancement or
for their political views. Having worked most of my life in R&D I found
the majority of scientists bent to the left as if they had never left
the university.
Old 21-02-2015, 02:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 02/20/2015 06:01 PM, Frank wrote:
On 2/20/2015 8:04 PM, T wrote:
[...]

The cherry picking drives me nuts.
Old 21-02-2015, 02:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 2/20/2015 8:04 PM, T wrote:
[...]

Seen that myself.

Having worked most of my life in R&D I found
the majority of scientists bent to the left as if they had never left
the university.

Hi Frank,

There was a study about 20 years ago that set to prove that
countries that had low fat diets had less heart disease.
He left out all the considerable data on counties where the
had high fat diets and low heart disease. He even went so
far as to make his test in Crete during Orthodox Lent, when
the eat little meat, to prove his point. I don't remember the
exact name of the study. We are still suffering from his
fraud to this day.

Global Warming has been around for long enough that the models
have had time to pan out. They couldn't predict if the sun
was to rise tomorrow they are so bad. But, as long as the
endless funding continues ...

Which Communist said that they would never try to take our freedom
by force again, but rather they would convince us to give it to
them willingly? Sounds like he is in full swing.

-T

Old 21-02-2015, 02:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 02/20/2015 05:32 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:
[...]

That is to be expected.
Old 15-03-2015, 05:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

Frank wrote:
Who would have thunk it?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/eart...ndal-ever.html

And then, yhere's reality.
http://www.politifact.com/punditfact...icated-temper/

Old 15-03-2015, 05:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Saturday, March 14, 2015 at 10:45:05 PM UTC-7, Bob F wrote:
Frank wrote:
Who would have thunk it?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/eart...ndal-ever.html

And then, yhere's reality.
http://www.politifact.com/punditfact...icated-temper/

Thanks, Bob F. for another mention of Politifact (I cited them under Subject "Pants on Fire" as one of the primo debunk sources for those not wedded to their beliefs in disregard of facts.

Here's link to St. Petersburg Fl (yes, really, Florida!!!)* Pulitzer Prize** for Politifact's national reporting on, inter alia, 2008 election

http://www.pulitzer.org/citation/200...onal-Reporting

* FF (foreign friends) Florida is not, uh, the most "progressive" -- in the old, true, non-crazy sense -- State in the Union.

**FF - you no doubt know that the Pulitzer Prize is THE honor that journalists and other of the written word aspire to.

pulitzer.org

Curious if your countries have something similar.

HB
Old 15-03-2015, 09:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 16/03/2015 4:21 AM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:

* FF (foreign friends) Florida is not, uh, the most "progressive" -- in the old, true, non-crazy sense -- State in the Union.

Indeed. "Jeb Bush" says it all really.

**FF - you no doubt know that the Pulitzer Prize is THE honor that journalists and other of the written word aspire to.

Yes, we all know about that too.

pulitzer.org

Curious if your countries have something similar.

Well our country does. It's called the Walkley Awards.

There is an old saying: "When the US sneezes, the world catches a cold".
In essence that means that the world watches, and reports on
happenings in the US very closely. From comments I've sen over many
years online, I'm not convinced that the reverse applies.

To support my point, all you have to do is to read Cotton's letter to
the Iranians and then read what the Iranian Foreign Minister wrote in
response. One of those letters reads like it came from a smart, urbane
informed person. The other letter reads like it comes from the pen of a
parochial, patronising, ill informed person.

Old 16-03-2015, 01:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

Fran Farmer wrote:
To support my point, all you have to do is to read Cotton's letter to
the Iranians and then read what the Iranian Foreign Minister wrote in
response. One of those letters reads like it came from a smart, urbane
informed person. The other letter reads like it comes from the pen of a
parochial, patronising, ill informed person.

i'm very convinced that the USoA could be governed
much better by random selection than by what we get
from mass-media driven erectoids.

after 2 years there is a referendum on encumbents
to continue, then if they pass that election of
confirmation they have to pass a new referendum
every 4 years.

that way we keep the good ones, boot the bad ones,
and have a truely representative government with
nobody beholden to corporate campaign contributions.

far more efficient, far more likely to get some
decent people in office who aren't photogenic or
ignorant nepotists.

i'll take a random dud any time over the folks
we seem to elect these days.

oh, and as for pay and benefits, the longer you
are in office the better your pay and health care
percentages are, but you don't get a pension or
anything any different than most USoAians. in
other words, there's no reason the government should
be paying someone's health care the rest of their
life if they've only been in office a few years.
instead they can contribute to an IRA or some other
retirement slavings plan just like the rest of us...

songbird