Old 13-02-2015, 03:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Fertilizing roses

On 2/12/2015 6:23 PM, Fran Farmer wrote:
On 13/02/2015 11:40 AM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
On Thursday, February 12, 2015 at 6:00:14 AM UTC-8, Fran Farmer wrote:
On 12/02/2015 12:18 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
On 2/11/2015 3:25 PM, Fran Farmer wrote:
On 12/02/2015 3:35 AM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
On Monday, February 9, 2015 at 9:53:34 PM UTC-8, Fran Farmer wrote:
On 10/02/2015 8:26 AM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
Have to confess, fertilizing is one of my weakest areas, garden-wise.

Ex: Always afraid to fertilize roses, too soon after pruning.

Pruned late January.

ISTR wait till first buds appear? Or?

Wd appreciate input from members *with similar climates* (So. Calif Coastal).

Also your guides to best Internet sites. There's overwhelmingly much out there.

[...]
I do love single roses - well really, I love nearly all roses except for non scented ones and the species roses which I can't have because of the danger their thorns present to my health.

Pls elucidate species roses, thorns, health danger -- if not intrusive q.

Species roses are very, very, very Thorny.
http://www.bhg.com/gardening/plant-d.../species-rose/

Do you remember the story of the discovery of Penicillin and how it was
first given to a policeman who had blood poisoning from the scratch from
a rose which he got on his cheek?
http://www.healthcentral.com/dailydo...ot_feb_12_1941

I have had an infection from the tiniest scratch from a rose. I've been
told not to prune them and if I ever get a scratch to instantly
disinfect and cover with an antiseptic dressing. I am now very, very
cautious round roses and get my SO to prune. He does that and although
I don't like the way he does it, I know that the roses will survive
despite his treatment and at least I can still have roses.

Also let's hear it for the few scented roses still available at nurseries.
Anybody know an on-line source for scented roses?

Good luck. I won't buy non-scented rose bushes. My favourites for
perfume are "Mr Lincoln" and "Papa Meilland".

There is a constant dispute in the gardens where I am a docent whether
'Mr. Lincoln' or 'Perfume Delight' has the better aroma. In my own
garden,I have 'Mr. Lincoln', 'Arizona' (somewhat fruity), 'Pink
Perfume', 'Color Magic', climbing 'Peace', and climbing 'Dublin Bay',
all of which are fragrant. I know that 'Peace' is also available as a
shrub. I miss the very fragrant 'Chrysler Imperial', which I used to
have as a climber. It supposedly is still available as a shrub, but I
have not seen it in a long time.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 13-02-2015, 08:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 13/02/2015 2:10 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
[...]

Now there IS a blast from the past. Dear old Chrysler Imperial. I must
go and do a bit of a read up on it. I've been wandering round all day
thinking that tonight I would dig out my rose books and do a bit of a
read up. And Peace is always glorious.

I should a say thank you to you and HN for the rose discussion because
today I decided to clear up around the Altissimos, spurred on byt the
discussions here. I've been meaning to do it for months as there is
also a rabbit warren near it under a prostrate conifery thing with a
blackberry bush growing out of it and we need to get to the burrow to
rip and fumigate. We chopped and slashed and took a trailer to the tip
and I can now actually get in and around the first of the Altissimos. I
am going to take a 25 litre drum down and fill it with water and leave
it to drip on the base of the rose - that will be the first drink it has
ever been given by me. Having tried so hard this year with ll of its
blooms, you and HN both reminded me that roses do do a whole lot better
with care.

So thank you and thanks also the HN.

Old 14-02-2015, 02:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Thursday, February 12, 2015 at 7:10:44 PM UTC-8, David E. Ross wrote:
[...]

Blast from the past, verily! My Mr. Lincoln is still producing heavenly-scented blooms, but the downside of dear Abe is that his blooms don't last as long as some. My "Peace" is still doin' its thang, and ISTR I once had a Chrysler Imperial ? lost in the mists of time.

I did replace two roses on the S. Side of the house last month; it hurt me to remove the wizened Golden Oldies, but...to everything there is a season....

HB