Old 09-02-2015, 10:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Fertilizing roses

Have to confess, fertilizing is one of my weakest areas, garden-wise.

Ex: Always afraid to fertilize roses, too soon after pruning.

Pruned late January.

ISTR wait till first buds appear? Or?

Wd appreciate input from members *with similar climates* (So. Calif Coastal).

Also your guides to best Internet sites. There's overwhelmingly much out there.

TIA

HB
Old 10-02-2015, 12:49 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 2/9/2015 1:26 PM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
Have to confess, fertilizing is one of my weakest areas, garden-wise.

Ex: Always afraid to fertilize roses, too soon after pruning.

Pruned late January.

ISTR wait till first buds appear? Or?

Wd appreciate input from members *with similar climates* (So. Calif Coastal).

Also your guides to best Internet sites. There's overwhelmingly much out there.

TIA

HB

My roses are already showing leaves, so I fed them yesterday. I gave
them a mix of ammonium, iron, and magnesium sulfates (listed in
declining amounts).

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 10-02-2015, 06:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 10/02/2015 8:26 AM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
Have to confess, fertilizing is one of my weakest areas, garden-wise.

Ex: Always afraid to fertilize roses, too soon after pruning.

Pruned late January.

ISTR wait till first buds appear? Or?

Wd appreciate input from members *with similar climates* (So. Calif Coastal).

Also your guides to best Internet sites. There's overwhelmingly much out there.

Every 6 weeks once Spring gorwth commences is what I plan. Of course I
never manage to keep to that schedule but litte and often is the way to go.

Do you have "Sudden Impact for Roses" in the US? If you do, I use that
and recommend it as does one of this countries better known rosarians.
http://www.neutrog.com.au/sudden-impact-for-roses/
Old 11-02-2015, 05:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Monday, February 9, 2015 at 3:49:51 PM UTC-8, David E. Ross wrote:
On 2/9/2015 1:26 PM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
Have to confess, fertilizing is one of my weakest areas, garden-wise.

Ex: Always afraid to fertilize roses, too soon after pruning.

Pruned late January.

ISTR wait till first buds appear? Or?

Wd appreciate input from members *with similar climates* (So. Calif Coastal).

Also your guides to best Internet sites. There's overwhelmingly much out there.

TIA

HB

My roses are already showing leaves, so I fed them yesterday. I gave
them a mix of ammonium, iron, and magnesium sulfates (listed in
declining amounts).

Tx, David. How is this different from commercial rose food from nursery?
I don't have one handy to compare formulae.

TIA

HB

Old 11-02-2015, 05:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Monday, February 9, 2015 at 9:53:34 PM UTC-8, Fran Farmer wrote:
On 10/02/2015 8:26 AM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
Have to confess, fertilizing is one of my weakest areas, garden-wise.

Ex: Always afraid to fertilize roses, too soon after pruning.

Pruned late January.

ISTR wait till first buds appear? Or?

Wd appreciate input from members *with similar climates* (So. Calif Coastal).

Also your guides to best Internet sites. There's overwhelmingly much out there.

Every 6 weeks once Spring gorwth commences is what I plan. Of course I
never manage to keep to that schedule but litte and often is the way to go.

Do you have "Sudden Impact for Roses" in the US? If you do, I use that
and recommend it as does one of this countries better known rosarians.
http://www.neutrog.com.au/sudden-impact-for-roses/

Thanks for reference! Will look up.

Have fertilized so little & so haphazardly over the years ...decades! There is a school of thought (not that I follow them) that holds roses are so tough you can do or not do almost anything to them.

Will try a little love this year.

HB

Old 11-02-2015, 06:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 2/11/2015 8:32 AM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
On Monday, February 9, 2015 at 3:49:51 PM UTC-8, David E. Ross wrote:

My roses are already showing leaves, so I fed them yesterday. I gave
them a mix of ammonium, iron, and magnesium sulfates (listed in
declining amounts).

Tx, David. How is this different from commercial rose food from nursery?
I don't have one handy to compare formulae.

TIA

Commercial fertilizers often contain phosphorus, which is a waste of
money and a potential pollutant. The problem is that phosphorus --
which promotes flowering -- does not readily dissolve. Instead, it must
be placed where roots will find it. That is why I always place either
bone meal or super-phosphate in the bottom of planting holes when
planting something. Also, every 5-10 years or so, I take a piece of
steel rebar, poke holes about 1-2 feet deep in the root zone of my
roses, and then fill the holes with super-phosphate.

Furthermore, roses prefer an acid soil. That is why I use sulfates.
Most commercial fertilizers are relatively neutral.

Despite all that, I do use a commercial fertilizer. I feed my roses
monthly from the time new shoots appear after pruning until late
October. After the initial feeding with ammonium, iron, and magnesium
sulfates, I alternate between only ammonium sulfate (nitrogen) and a
commercial fertilizer that contains a systemic insecticide. The
instructions for the commercial fertilizer say to use it every 6 weeks,
but I only use it a full two months apart. I never see aphids, spider
mites, or bark borers.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 12/02/2015 3:35 AM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
[...]

Roses are tough, As tough as nanny goat's knees. Often the only thing
still left growing round old abandoned houses in the Australian country
side will be roses and our countryside IS tough. that being said, those
roses will all have gone back to the rootstock but they will still be
growing and be thickets but they will still put out some flowers.

But grafted roses in beds do a lot better with a bit of care. It is
very important to regularly dead head them if you want flowers. They
will put out a new flush about 6 week during the season after being dead
headed. And they do like a bit of water and that regular bit of feed.

I too used to ignore mine but a few years ago (after visiting the
rosarian I mentioned I was inspired to try to really start looking after
my roses. I'd already discovered "sudden Impact for Roses"and knew how
good it was for them, but I was slack about being regular in both the
dead heading and the regular feeding routine. Being better int hat area
has made a big difference to my roses. I live in a cold winter, hot dry
summer area, and rose like those conditions and do even better if given
a bit of help along the way.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Wednesday, February 11, 2015 at 9:36:41 AM UTC-8, David E. Ross wrote:
[...]

Most informative, tx.

Two further q's:

Why would (commercial)) phosphorus be a "potential pollutant".

Which commercial fertilizer avec insecticide do you use?

TIA

HB

HB
Old 12-02-2015, 01:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Wednesday, February 11, 2015 at 3:25:29 PM UTC-8, Fran Farmer wrote:
[...]

Tx for helpful info.

I DO deadhead faithfully, and shape during the summer/early fall, since certain varieties tend to go ape if not controlled.

Will be interesting to see -- if I can get my head around regular feeding -- how roses respond, given the vagaries of climate change.

Ex: Today it was over 80 F at noon. So hot I could not work in back (South-facing) garden. While my poor kids in NY are freezing their assets off, and New England is up to *their* assets in snow with public trans not running.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 2/11/2015 4:29 PM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
[...]

Because the phosphorus disolves so slowly, it is more likely to wash
away and enter streams and lakes. Eventually, it will disolve and then
cause excessive algae growth. As the older algae die, their
decomposition consumes more oxygen than the living algae produce,
leaving insufficient oxygen for fish and other aquatic animals.

Which commercial fertilizer avec insecticide do you use?

TIA

I use Bayer 2-in-1 rose and flower care. It contains Imidacloprid,
which should be used sparingly since it is quite harmful to bees.
Although not approved for use on edibles, studies indicate it is
harmless to birds and mammals (including humans). Thus, I use an
Imidacloprid drench on my peach tree to prevent flat-head bark borers;
but I use it only after the tree has finished blooming. I also use
Imidacloprid on my dwarf citrus to treat leaf miners, but only after I
see actual leaf miner damage and not when the trees are blooming or
about to bloom.

Old 12-02-2015, 02:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 2/11/2015 3:25 PM, Fran Farmer wrote:
[...]

One important thing (among others) to remember is that, if you are
growing a plant that would not be found growing naturally in your
environment, you must resort to unnatural care for that plant. Since
hybrid roses are unnatural, they require unnatureal care in all
environments.

Old 12-02-2015, 02:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 12/02/2015 12:18 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
[...]

Hmmmmmm. I don't think I'd agree with you on that score with the
exception of Julia's Rose. That damned rose just looks for an excuse to
turn up her toes and die and she does that to every other grower I know
round here. I've killed several Julias and so has at least one other
grower I know and others have also reported killing her. Pity, given
that she is such a glorious colour but I guess that since she's derived
from Blue Moon, which I always think is a truly loathsome rose, that
parentage might be have been pushing the envelope a bit.

Anyway, I every other rose we have here really is as tough as nanny
goat's knees and I stopped counting how many we had at 112 and I know
we've got more than that and I have also platned more since I stopped
counting.

Poor old Altissimo, of which I have perhaps 5, is still surviving along
the chook pen fence line near a bit oak and a rabbit warren and there
survival is despite not having had any watering or feeding or even
pruning from me in the 20 ears that we've been here. I really should
go and excavate them and do some maintenance on them, especially since
this year the blooms were just lovely. I do love single roses - well
really, I love nearly all roses except for non scented ones and the
species roses which I can't have because of the danger their thorns
present to my health.

Old 12-02-2015, 03:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 12/02/2015 11:36 AM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
[...]

Make an entry in your diary as treat your feeding routine like you do
your 6 weekly hair appointments??????

Ex: Today it was over 80 F at noon. So hot I could not work in back (South-facing) garden. While my poor kids in NY are freezing their assets off, and New England is up to *their* assets in snow with public trans not running.

No surprise given the distance between where you live and where they
live. The worst thing is the variability of yoyo temps in your own area.

We've had hot, cold, hot, cold. No wonder the poor old toms don't know
if to ripen or not.

Old 13-02-2015, 01:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Thursday, February 12, 2015 at 6:00:14 AM UTC-8, Fran Farmer wrote:
On 12/02/2015 12:18 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
On 2/11/2015 3:25 PM, Fran Farmer wrote:
On 12/02/2015 3:35 AM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
On Monday, February 9, 2015 at 9:53:34 PM UTC-8, Fran Farmer wrote:
On 10/02/2015 8:26 AM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
Have to confess, fertilizing is one of my weakest areas, garden-wise.

Ex: Always afraid to fertilize roses, too soon after pruning.

Pruned late January.

ISTR wait till first buds appear? Or?

Wd appreciate input from members *with similar climates* (So. Calif Coastal).

Also your guides to best Internet sites. There's overwhelmingly much out there.

[...]
I do love single roses - well really, I love nearly all roses except for non scented ones and the species roses which I can't have because of the danger their thorns present to my health.

Pls elucidate species roses, thorns, health danger -- if not intrusive q.

Also let's hear it for the few scented roses still available at nurseries.
Anybody know an on-line source for scented roses?

HB

Old 13-02-2015, 03:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 13/02/2015 11:40 AM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
[...]

Species roses are very, very, very Thorny.
http://www.bhg.com/gardening/plant-d.../species-rose/

Do you remember the story of the discovery of Penicillin and how it was
first given to a policeman who had blood poisoning from the scratch from
a rose which he got on his cheek?
http://www.healthcentral.com/dailydo...ot_feb_12_1941

I have had an infection from the tiniest scratch from a rose. I've been
told not to prune them and if I ever get a scratch to instantly
disinfect and cover with an antiseptic dressing. I am now very, very
cautious round roses and get my SO to prune. He does that and although
I don't like the way he does it, I know that the roses will survive
despite his treatment and at least I can still have roses.

Also let's hear it for the few scented roses still available at nurseries.
Anybody know an on-line source for scented roses?

Good luck. I won't buy non-scented rose bushes. My favourites for
perfume are "Mr Lincoln" and "Papa Meilland".