Old 28-02-2003, 02:52 AM
Todd J.

Default propagation question

Do Hyacinth's propagate?? Or are they like most tulips....good for a
couple of years and then start to fritter out...............

Thanks in advance.

Change the .com to .net to email me
Old 28-02-2003, 10:27 AM
Anne Middleton/Harold Walker

Yes indeed they do.........via a) chipping b)scaling c)scooping d) scoring
etc.

Details are too lenghty to be included in this reply but if you are really
interested suggest you look at a good book covering the subject......I
usually do this by browsing in a book store...being a cheapskate I browse
without buying.......one excellent book is the Royal Horicultural Societies
"Plant Progagation"

HW.

Old 28-02-2003, 12:51 PM
Dwight Sipler

Anne Middleton/Harold Walker wrote:

....I
usually do this by browsing in a book store...being a cheapskate I browse
without buying.......one excellent book is the Royal Horicultural Societies
"Plant Progagation"...

I'm sure the bookstores would appreciate it if you would use your local
library. Most libraries have a network from which they can get (almost)
any title you might want to look at.

On the other hand, if the book is really that useful you could save
yourself some time by buying a copy for yourself (or your neighborhood).
Old 28-02-2003, 01:39 PM
Iris Cohen

Do Hyacinths propagate?? Or are they like most tulips....good for a couple
of years and then start to fritter out....

It probably depends on climate and location. If you plant them deep enough, say
8 inches, in halfway decent soil with at least half a day of sun, they are
there forever. At least I can speak for Zone 5. They will multiply slowly until
you have a very nice showy clump.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 28-02-2003, 03:15 PM
animaux

http://www.actahort.org/books/109/109_39.htm

http://www.actahort.org/books/109/109_38.htm

http://www.discoveredmonton.com/devonian/getgro103.html

http://www.delhi.edu/page/plantsci/P...AL/ASEXUAL.HTM

http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopE.../bulbprop.html

Old 28-02-2003, 05:03 PM
animaux

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003 07:47:59 -0500, Dwight Sipler
wrote:

Anne Middleton/Harold Walker wrote:

....I
usually do this by browsing in a book store...being a cheapskate I browse
without buying.......one excellent book is the Royal Horicultural Societies
"Plant Progagation"...

I'm sure the bookstores would appreciate it if you would use your local
library. Most libraries have a network from which they can get (almost)
any title you might want to look at.

On the other hand, if the book is really that useful you could save
yourself some time by buying a copy for yourself (or your neighborhood).

Barnes and Nobel have huge swaths of very comfortable chairs to sit and read
anything in the store. As long as people don't put suntan oil on their hands
then handle books, what's the diff? If I counted on MY library to have these
books I'd never know anything. I do, however, buy a lot of books. Occasionally
I sit in the store while my husband looks around and I browse the books I'd
never buy.

Victoria
Old 01-03-2003, 01:03 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Dwight Sipler contains these words:

Anne Middleton/Harold Walker wrote:

....I
usually do this by browsing in a book store...being a cheapskate I browse
without buying.......one excellent book is the Royal Horicultural
Societies
"Plant Progagation"...

I'm sure the bookstores would appreciate it if you would use your local
library.

??? Many large bookchains in the UK encourage customers to relax in
their comfy sofas and armchairs with a cup of coffee/snack, and browse
ANY unpaid-for books to their hearts content.You can spend the whole day
there with absolutely no pressure to make a purchase.

Janet.