Old 04-03-2015, 11:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tomatoes - breaking my oath

On 3/03/2015 8:51 AM, ~misfit~ wrote:
Once upon a time on usenet Fran Farmer wrote:
On 2/03/2015 12:06 PM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
I swore I was going to give up veg gardening; small family; buy
organic produce. But prices so high, and taste not all that great,
reconsidering.

No point in buying tomato seeds from local nurseries; they'll just
produce more tasteless fruit.

So I'm taking "short cut" around research by asking NG members in
similar climates (So. Calif coastal) for names of sharp, acidic
tomatoes. Already OK to plant here so want to order seeds pronto)
Appreciate your experienced-based recommendations.

I'm not even in the same country as you but we get hot and dry summers
and my SO says that California always reminds him of Aus, and
especially the Napa Valley so perhaps......

I always plant Grosse Lisse. Every year without fail for decades they
are included in the tomato mix even though we also plant other
varieties. We like Grosse Lisse for the flavour in salads and fresh
and, when I do manage to get a glut, which is not as often as I'd like
due to the usual vagaries of the seasons, they are good for
preserving too.
Grosse Lisse is now considered an Heirloom variety and I don't know
where you might find it in the US even though I've recently read that
it started life in the US and then went world wide (but then I've
also read that it started it's life in France too and that it's now
more grown in Australia than it is in France)

Failing Grosse Lisse, I also like Roma and the cherry tomatoes called
Tommy Toe.

I second Gross Lisse. It's always been the standout variety (here in my
northern New Zealand garden) to the point that this year it's the only
variety I've planted.

Yaaaaaahhh! So nice to meet another fan online!

Old 05-03-2015, 12:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 4/03/2015 12:17 PM, Drew Lawson wrote:

Beefsteaks aren't my thing this century, so the flavor is not easy
to recall or comment on.

My objection to all of the beefsteaks is that they have all seemed to
have a large white section remaining in them up around the stem end for
far too long. None of the Italo-Australian families round here will
grow or use them because of that white patch. The Italo-Australians
round here still do the HUGE Passata bottling day annually where
hundreds of bottles are produced so the toms they use are always a good
indicators for quality toms IME.

Old 05-03-2015, 01:21 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Monday, March 2, 2015 at 1:33:48 PM UTC-8, Fran Farmer wrote:
On 2/03/2015 12:06 PM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
I swore I was going to give up veg gardening; small family; buy organic produce.
But prices so high, and taste not all that great, reconsidering.

No point in buying tomato seeds from local nurseries; they'll just produce
more tasteless fruit.

So I'm taking "short cut" around research by asking NG members in similar climates (So. Calif coastal) for names of sharp, acidic tomatoes. Already OK to plant here so want to order seeds pronto)

Appreciate your experienced-based recommendations.

Isn't anyone who lives in the same country going to tell him what
tomatoes they grow and why they like them?

I've done my bit and I don't even live in the same country as HN.

Thanks, Fran. Appreciate all the input. Geographic boundaries matter less than climate/soil/water,etc. so shout-outs from Down Under always welcome.

My soil is pretty good, per T's comment, and I do amend several times a year when the City offers free compost.

Note that Fran said "hot, dry summers". Ours are dry, but not hot; fairly mild, at least until climate change really became noticeable. With our water rates going WAY up (fierce citizen opposition to the Council's actions) I hope summer/fall crops don't need too much more water!

Still making up mind. Have been to Lisse sites; under active consideration..

A number of kind NG members have posted kudos for sweet, juicing, etc. All desirable qualities, but I emphasized SHARP, ACIDIC.

Drew Lawson in similar climate to mine mentioned Celebrity, a standard on So. Calif coastal. I've tried it a few times; ok, but...I want to be adventurous this year, tomato-wise.

I'm not into BIG tomatoes, nor do I have much experience -- like zero -- with Heirlooms. Have read some mildly snarky comments on the "Heirloom mystic" but have no experience to contribute.

One thing I WILL do this year, starting NOW is get my *** in gear so I don't rush out & buy plants at the last moment instead of sowing seed.

Any more sharp-acidic recommendations welcome.

Thanks to all

HB

Old 14-03-2015, 04:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 5:06:32 PM UTC-8, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
I swore I was going to give up veg gardening; small family; buy organic produce.
But prices so high, and taste not all that great, reconsidering.

No point in buying tomato seeds from local nurseries; they'll just produce
more tasteless fruit.

So I'm taking "short cut" around research by asking NG members in similar climates (So. Calif coastal) for names of sharp, acidic tomatoes. Already OK to plant here so want to order seeds pronto)

Appreciate your experienced-based recommendations.

TIA

HB

UPDATE: Earlier inquiry led to tomato "Hank" which led to database "Folia".
Any of Hon. members dealt with "Folia"? Your experience?

TIA

HB
Old 17-03-2015, 09:08 PM
Banned

Location: Horsham

If you need any help in growing the perfect tomatoe, this article will hit the spot. From the UK so I hope the advice they give is applicable where you are.
Growing tomatoes: 20 tips for tasty fruit | Life and style | The Guardian

Tree LC
Tree surgery Horsham

Old 02-04-2015, 02:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Saturday, March 14, 2015 at 8:52:48 AM UTC-7, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
On Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 5:06:32 PM UTC-8, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
I swore I was going to give up veg gardening; small family; buy organic produce.
But prices so high, and taste not all that great, reconsidering.

No point in buying tomato seeds from local nurseries; they'll just produce
more tasteless fruit.

So I'm taking "short cut" around research by asking NG members in similar climates (So. Calif coastal) for names of sharp, acidic tomatoes. Already OK to plant here so want to order seeds pronto)

Appreciate your experienced-based recommendations.

TIA

HB

UPDATE: Earlier inquiry led to tomato "Hank" which led to database "Folia".
Any of Hon. members dealt with "Folia"? Your experience?

TIA

HB

Search for sharp acid tomatoes ended in Canadian site

*****

"Tatiana's TOMATObase - Heritage Tomatoes - Tatiana's ...
tatianastomatobase.com/
July 2011. We are a Garden Watchdog Top 5 Tomato Seed company. ... Please buy seeds from Tatiana's TOMATObase Seed Store to support our mission."

*****

After extensive email corresp. with patient Tatiana, (I emphasized my local growing conditions) I ordered 3 varieties with such charming names!

1. Grosse Lisse, (also recommended by some NG members)

2. Bulgarian, Tozala Egpu

3. Costuluto Fioretino Novoli

Will be fascinating to see what develops, providing enough germinate and all goes well. Due to my chronic dithering, it is late in our season (So. Coastal CA) to sow seeds instead of putting in plants from nursery, but whatthehey, live dangerously!

Question: I was suprised to see following envelope labels:

#1 from 2014 crop
#2 from 2013 crop
#3 from 2012 crop

Wondering if that means that #2 and #3 were unsuccessful so they're still
selling "older seeds.

HB
Old 06-04-2015, 08:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

#1 from 2014 crop
#2 from 2013 crop
#3 from 2012 crop

Wondering if that means that #2 and #3 were unsuccessful so they're still
selling "older seeds.

Possibly, but probably not. More likely it means they had sufficient
seed remaining from the previous crop years that they didn't bother
purchasing more, they just re-tested the older seed and updated the
labeling for the packets. That's why you generally see the phrase
'packed for' on the label. Tomato seeds retain their viability for
many years, incidentally.

Also, most retail seed providers don't grow their own, they purchase
from third-party sources.

I worked for a regional seed company years ago. We were the
distributors of bulk seeds from many major and minor seed companies.
If you wanted to buy any of their seeds in bulk, you didn't buy direct
from the producers, you bought from one of their regional
distributors. They sold us the same seed they sold to all the
companies that package and sell the very same seeds under their
private labels. Burpee, Ferry-Morse, etc. - as long as it's the same
variety name, it's all the same seeds coming from the same sources.
Only the package and the price differ.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

#1 from 2014 crop
#2 from 2013 crop
#3 from 2012 crop

[...]

Dern! How depressing! From the aura surrounding Tatiana's Web site
(part of which I quoted above), I really got the impression that it was an
in-house operation, not that they bought from wholesalers for resale.

Especially since these seeds sounded "exotic"; not the familiar brands
carried by most nurseries.

Sigh! Guess I'll have to wait till (a) they germinate and (b) bear fruit, probably well into summer. (beats up self) Should have started earlier...

Tx for reply.

HB

Old 21-05-2015, 04:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

#1 from 2014 crop
#2 from 2013 crop
#3 from 2012 crop

[...]

The jury is in on germination of the 3 Canadian "exotics". Two of them
ZERO. Other one, TWO puny little things that don't seem to be growing. I'm
sending the packets back to Tatiana with germination rates.

Note that these were planted in good cimposted soil and appropriately watered.

I'm on a Library computer right now (don't ask!!!) but when I get computer fixed I'll post the varieties of tomato plants I bought at nabe nursery, which are doing fine. Interestingly, the plant person who helped me choose "sharp, acid" -- which has been my quest -- noted that most customers want "sweet"??!!

Go figure.

HB

Old 21-05-2015, 03:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
Hypatia Nachshon writes:

I'm on a Library computer right now (don't ask!!!) but when I get
computer fixed I'll post the varieties of tomato plants I bought
at nabe nursery, which are doing fine. Interestingly, the plant
person who helped me choose "sharp, acid" -- which has been my
quest -- noted that most customers want "sweet"??!!

Many people seem to assiciate acidic tomatoes to with heartburn.
I assume that is part of why the breeding trend has been toward
lower acid types.

I don't think my varieties are considered low acid, but I haven't
looked into it. I just know what I like. I pressure can the sauces,
so it is fine if they are low acid.

--
Drew Lawson | Pass the tea and sympathy

Old 26-05-2015, 02:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Thursday, May 21, 2015 at 6:40:14 AM UTC-7, Drew Lawson wrote:
In article
Hypatia Nachshon writes:

I'm on a Library computer right now (don't ask!!!) but when I get
computer fixed I'll post the varieties of tomato plants I bought
at nabe nursery, which are doing fine. Interestingly, the plant
person who helped me choose "sharp, acid" -- which has been my
quest -- noted that most customers want "sweet"??!!

Many people seem to assiciate acidic tomatoes to with heartburn.
I assume that is part of why the breeding trend has been toward
lower acid types.

I don't think my varieties are considered low acid, but I haven't
looked into it. I just know what I like. I pressure can the sauces,
so it is fine if they are low acid.

--
Drew Lawson | Pass the tea and sympathy
| for he good old days are dead
| Let's raise a toast to those
| who best survived the life they led

Here at last is report on the four varieties I planted after consulting with helpful plant guy at my nursery to find "sharp, acid" varieties.

I didn't specify "heirloom" or "organic" but 3 out of 4 fit that bill.

Black Krim - heirloom - organic

Brandywine - heirloom organic

Old German - heirloom - organic

Black Zebra

After [censored] years of planting the tried&true varieties offered for this area, it will be VERY interesting to see how these turn out.

Anybody know if the ones with "black" in the name are really "black"?

TIA for any feedback.

HB

Old 26-05-2015, 03:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 25 May 2015 17:00:58 -0700 (PDT), Hypatia Nachshon
wrote:

Here at last is report on the four varieties I planted after consulting with helpful plant guy at my nursery to find "sharp, acid" varieties.

I didn't specify "heirloom" or "organic" but 3 out of 4 fit that bill.

Black Krim - heirloom - organic

Brandywine - heirloom organic

Old German - heirloom - organic

Black Zebra

After [censored] years of planting the tried&true varieties offered for this area, it will be VERY interesting to see how these turn out.

Anybody know if the ones with "black" in the name are really "black"?

TIA for any feedback.

HB

I grow black varieties with some frequency - no, they are not black,
but dark, dark green. There is one variety of blacks that is dark,
dark, dark, but to me, they look a bit like purple plums.

http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/201...ine/33668f.jpg

https://ahmadalijetplane.files.wordp.../2014/01/1.jpg

The fruits from the heirlooms you have should be quite nice, except I
do not generally find these varieties as prolific fruiters. Some can
be. Additionally, what one gain for the flavor, one loses due to
disease susceptibility or cracking. Some years you will be
fine....other years, you'll get caught short.

I generally plant a mix of heirlooms and others, including cherry
varieties. It is hard to lose an entire crop of cherries, so there is
always something to harvest.

I have at least 15 different varieties planted and a bunch o'
volunteers that will surprise me as the season goes on.
Old 26-05-2015, 04:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
Hypatia Nachshon writes:

Anybody know if the ones with "black" in the name are really "black"?

I haven't grown your varieties. Black Plum is dark but not black.
Depending on the weather they are dark red or a bit toward purple.
The insides are a rich red.

My Black Plum just started to bloom a few days ago. The others
(Amish Paste and Opalka) have not. They look stressed, but are
growing. The weather was pretty hot when I first put them out.
I suspect that the roots have not expanded as much as I'd like.

We're looking at a week of thunder storms, which should be good.

Looking at some notes from earlier years, the Black Plum shoudl be
getting ripe just about the time we leave town for a week.

--
Drew Lawson | Though it's just a memory,
Old 16-07-2015, 10:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 7:46:41 AM UTC-7, Drew Lawson wrote:
In article
Hypatia Nachshon writes:

Anybody know if the ones with "black" in the name are really "black"?

I haven't grown your varieties. Black Plum is dark but not black.
Depending on the weather they are dark red or a bit toward purple.
The insides are a rich red.

My Black Plum just started to bloom a few days ago. The others
(Amish Paste and Opalka) have not. They look stressed, but are
growing. The weather was pretty hot when I first put them out.
I suspect that the roots have not expanded as much as I'd like.

We're looking at a week of thunder storms, which should be good.

Looking at some notes from earlier years, the Black Plum shoudl be
getting ripe just about the time we leave town for a week.

--
Drew Lawson | Though it's just a memory,
| some memories last forever

Disappointed in performance of the 4 varieties described above. I tried so hard to get "acid-y" varieties from local nursery after Canadian debacle.

One or two fruits; vines not flourishing despite sun, water & fertiliZer.
Santa Monica is not prime tomato country, but this is really a bummer.

At least French string beans roaring along.

HB

Galileo: "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use"