Old 02-03-2015, 01:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tomatoes - breaking my oath

I swore I was going to give up veg gardening; small family; buy organic produce.
But prices so high, and taste not all that great, reconsidering.

No point in buying tomato seeds from local nurseries; they'll just produce
more tasteless fruit.

So I'm taking "short cut" around research by asking NG members in similar climates (So. Calif coastal) for names of sharp, acidic tomatoes. Already OK to plant here so want to order seeds pronto)

Appreciate your experienced-based recommendations.

TIA

HB

Old 02-03-2015, 01:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 2/03/2015 12:06 PM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
I swore I was going to give up veg gardening; small family; buy organic produce.
But prices so high, and taste not all that great, reconsidering.

No point in buying tomato seeds from local nurseries; they'll just produce
more tasteless fruit.

So I'm taking "short cut" around research by asking NG members in similar climates (So. Calif coastal) for names of sharp, acidic tomatoes. Already OK to plant here so want to order seeds pronto)

Appreciate your experienced-based recommendations.

I'm not even in the same country as you but we get hot and dry summers
and my SO says that California always reminds him of Aus, and especially
the Napa Valley so perhaps......

I always plant Grosse Lisse. Every year without fail for decades they
are included in the tomato mix even though we also plant other
varieties. We like Grosse Lisse for the flavour in salads and fresh
and, when I do manage to get a glut, which is not as often as I'd like
due to the usual vagaries of the seasons, they are good for preserving too.

Grosse Lisse is now considered an Heirloom variety and I don't know
where you might find it in the US even though I've recently read that it
started life in the US and then went world wide (but then I've also read
that it started it's life in France too and that it's now more grown in
Australia than it is in France)

Failing Grosse Lisse, I also like Roma and the cherry tomatoes called
Tommy Toe.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 02/03/15 01:06, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
I swore I was going to give up veg gardening; small family; buy organic produce.
But prices so high, and taste not all that great, reconsidering.

No point in buying tomato seeds from local nurseries; they'll just produce
more tasteless fruit.

So I'm taking "short cut" around research by asking NG members in similar climates (So. Calif coastal) for names of sharp, acidic tomatoes. Already OK to plant here so want to order seeds pronto)

Appreciate your experienced-based recommendations.

TIA

In the uk.rec.gardening NG,. one of your upstate NY compatriots very
recently suggested http://www.tomatoville.com as a useful site for those
interested in growing tomatoes.

--

Jeff
Old 02-03-2015, 04:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

I swore I was going to give up veg gardening; small family; buy organic produce.
But prices so high, and taste not all that great, reconsidering.
No point in buying tomato seeds from local nurseries; they'll just produce
more tasteless fruit.
So I'm taking "short cut" around research by asking NG members in similar climates
(So. Calif coastal) for names of sharp, acidic tomatoes.
Already OK to plant here so want to order seeds pronto)
Appreciate your experienced-based recommendations.
TIA

In the uk.rec.gardening NG,. one of your upstate NY compatriots very
recently suggested http://www.tomatoville.com as a useful site for those
interested in growing tomatoes.

A web search came up with this company - California based ?

http://store.tomatofest.com/category...how=10&page=10

John T.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

hubops wrote:

I swore I was going to give up veg gardening; small family; buy organic produce.
But prices so high, and taste not all that great, reconsidering.
No point in buying tomato seeds from local nurseries; they'll just produce
more tasteless fruit.

Stop blaming others for your lack of discipline.

So I'm taking "short cut" around research by asking NG members in similar climates
(So. Calif coastal) for names of sharp, acidic tomatoes.
Already OK to plant here so want to order seeds pronto)
Appreciate your experienced-based recommendations.

I would ask for recommendations from a few of the seed purveyers.
However the quality and intensity of produce flavor has little to do
with which seeds, it is primarilly dependant on the grower's physical
efforts and expenditure of personal resources. Southern Cal is
blessed with generally lousy soil, you will need to invest in
improving your soil and do the sweat labor... in other words you'll
reap what you sow.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

Fran Farmer wrote:
[...]

Grosse Lisse is apparently sold by
http://tatianastomatobase.com/seed-catalog/html/ which appears to be a
Canadian company. I've not dealt with them.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 2/03/2015 12:06 PM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
I swore I was going to give up veg gardening; small family; buy organic produce.
But prices so high, and taste not all that great, reconsidering.

No point in buying tomato seeds from local nurseries; they'll just produce
more tasteless fruit.

So I'm taking "short cut" around research by asking NG members in similar climates (So. Calif coastal) for names of sharp, acidic tomatoes. Already OK to plant here so want to order seeds pronto)

Appreciate your experienced-based recommendations.

Isn't anyone who lives in the same country going to tell him what
tomatoes they grow and why they like them?

I've done my bit and I don't even live in the same country as HN.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

Once upon a time on usenet Fran Farmer wrote:
[...]

I second Gross Lisse. It's always been the standout variety (here in my
northern New Zealand garden) to the point that this year it's the only
variety I've planted.
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Old 03-03-2015, 01:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 03/02/2015 09:55 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
I would ask for recommendations from a few of the seed purveyers.
However the quality and intensity of produce flavor has little to do
with which seeds, it is primarilly dependant on the grower's physical
efforts and expenditure of personal resources.

Hi Higgs,

This is my experience too. I would add "Vine Ripening" them too.
Even a hybrid tomato tastes extraordinary if you grow them
in healthy organic soil full of compost and worms!

You must taste good tomatoes again. They are a real treat!

-T
Old 03-03-2015, 02:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 03/01/2015 05:06 PM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
I swore I was going to give up veg gardening; small family; buy organic produce.
But prices so high, and taste not all that great, reconsidering.

No point in buying tomato seeds from local nurseries; they'll just produce
more tasteless fruit.

So I'm taking "short cut" around research by asking NG members in similar climates (So. Calif coastal) for names of sharp, acidic tomatoes. Already OK to plant here so want to order seeds pronto)

Appreciate your experienced-based recommendations.

TIA

HB

Please let us all know what you finally settle on!

Old 03-03-2015, 04:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 8:06:32 PM UTC-5, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
I swore I was going to give up veg gardening; small family; buy organic produce.
But prices so high, and taste not all that great, reconsidering.

No point in buying tomato seeds from local nurseries; they'll just produce
more tasteless fruit.

So I'm taking "short cut" around research by asking NG members in similar climates (So. Calif coastal) for names of sharp, acidic tomatoes. Already OK to plant here so want to order seeds pronto)

Appreciate your experienced-based recommendations.

TIA

HB

I am not in a similar climate, but I've been growing my own plants from seed for many years. My choices are based on flavor mostly.
1) Cherokee purple, There seem to be different strains of this old heirloom. My favorite is from Park's Seed co.
2)tie for yellow toms
Yellow Brandywine
Russian orange
3) Pineapple, beautiful red/yellow striped, very sweet
4) sweet 100, small salad toms, highly productive. 1 plant per person will yield a glut of small toms for juicing.

Just my $.02 worth,
Steve
Old 03-03-2015, 06:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

[...]

What climate are you in Steve ?
... not that it's the prime factor ..
The recommendations are always appreciated.
John T.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

Steve Peek wrote:
4) sweet 100, small salad toms, highly productive.
1 plant per person will yield a glut of small toms for juicing.

we usually have two sweet100s and when we have
extras we'll throw them in with the juicing
tomatoes (beefsteak), but the seeds are smaller
and come through the food mill screen. oh well,
they're still good and the added sweetness gives
the beefsteaks a bump too.

i tried juicing them alone once and i could
not really taste much tomatoey goodness so i
never did it again. sweet yes, but otherwise
bland. maybe i'm too used to the beefsteak
flavor instead.

songbird
Old 03-03-2015, 10:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tuesday, March 3, 2015 at 1:07:40 PM UTC-5, hubops wrote:
[...]

I'm in Western NC, SE USA. We're frost free from mid-May through mid-October.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
Hypatia Nachshon writes:
I swore I was going to give up veg gardening; small family; buy organic produce.
But prices so high, and taste not all that great, reconsidering.

No point in buying tomato seeds from local nurseries; they'll just produce
more tasteless fruit.

So I'm taking "short cut" around research by asking NG members in
similar climates (So. Calif coastal) for names of sharp, acidic
tomatoes. Already OK to plant here so want to order seeds pronto)

When I was in San Jose (not the same, but some similarities), I
still had Celebrity as my standard, and it did just fine.

Beefsteaks aren't my thing this century, so the flavor is not easy
to recall or comment on. And my climate these days (western Ohio)
is nothing like yours, for which we are probably both thankful.

Just (about a month past intention) planted the tomato seeds today
-- Black Plum, Amish Paste, and Opalka.

I love Black Plum. Amish Paste (ox heart) is on it's 3rd year of
probation, but those years have each had problems so I'm not ready
to kick it out. Opalka (also ox heart) is a new one. I've read
good things online, but not tasted them.

Cheapskate moment: While planting the seeds, I checked the packet
dates (for the repeats). This is the 4th year of planting on one
($3) packet of Black Plum, and I've had 8-10 plants each year.
Still have a few seeds left for next year as well. Last year, I
think I had 19 sprouts from 20 seeds. Seed Saver's stuff does well,
at least when stored in a refrigerator.

--
Drew Lawson | We were taking a vote when