Old 09-03-2015, 07:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Suddenly Behind

Last week, we had overnight lows below 0F.
NOAA is reporting a current (3:45PM) temperature of 53F.

Last week, I thought winter would never end. Now I feel like I am
impossibly behind in prep and planting. And it's too muddy (from
snow melt) to do anything just yet.

I'm sure we have a few frosts/freezes ahead, but the gardening
season has certainly started.

--
Drew Lawson So risk all or don't risk anything
You can lose all the same
Old 09-03-2015, 09:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

Drew Lawson wrote:

Last week, we had overnight lows below 0F.
NOAA is reporting a current (3:45PM) temperature of 53F.

yeah, the contrasts can be amazing. most of the
heavy snows went south of us again this year. we
have some snow on the ground, but nothing like what
they got out on the east coast.

it will be a week or two of warm weather just to
clear the snow away. i hope it goes slowly enough
to avoid flooding and so most of it can soak in
instead of running off. warm days and cool nights
work well. warm rains are often trouble...

Last week, I thought winter would never end. Now I feel like I am
impossibly behind in prep and planting. And it's too muddy (from
snow melt) to do anything just yet.

I'm sure we have a few frosts/freezes ahead, but the gardening
season has certainly started.

oh, for sure, it's not done yet. i'm hoping we don't
have fruit trees blooming too early. last year went
ok in comparison to the year before, but i'd sure like
to see another fairly normal spring. seems we go right
from winter to summer without much in between.

we're at least 8 weeks from planting most things other
than some early peas and onions.

i stay off the gardens and what little grassy areas
we have left until they are fairly dried out and growing
again. that helps avoid a lot of compaction problems
and a lot of the mess too with our high percentage of
clay soils.

songbird
Old 10-03-2015, 04:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 10/03/2015 6:44 AM, Drew Lawson wrote:
Last week, we had overnight lows below 0F.
NOAA is reporting a current (3:45PM) temperature of 53F.

Last week, I thought winter would never end. Now I feel like I am
impossibly behind in prep and planting.

I feel like that every planting season and I wouldn't mind betting that
the feeling is not something that you've never felt before.......

And it's too muddy (from
snow melt) to do anything just yet.

I'm sure we have a few frosts/freezes ahead, but the gardening
season has certainly started.

Mutter, mutter. I'm starting to see leaves turning and it's too early
for that to be happening yet. Time to order a few tons of wood for the
winter. Sigh.

Old 10-03-2015, 04:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 10/03/2015 8:41 AM, songbird wrote:

oh, for sure, it's not done yet. i'm hoping we don't
have fruit trees blooming too early. last year went
ok in comparison to the year before, but i'd sure like
to see another fairly normal spring. seems we go right
from winter to summer without much in between.

The problems we've had over the last few years is that we've effectively
had several springs each year in quite quick succession so most of the
plants have been very confused and then, like you, the temps sky rocket
rapidly to mid summer temps.

This year has been a different story though and thank heaven for that -
it's mostly been cooler than usual with a few short summer bursts before
going cooler again.

we're at least 8 weeks from planting most things other
than some early peas and onions.

i stay off the gardens and what little grassy areas
we have left until they are fairly dried out and growing
again. that helps avoid a lot of compaction problems
and a lot of the mess too with our high percentage of
clay soils.

:-)) Catalogue reading time!

Old 11-03-2015, 03:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

Fran Farmer wrote:
songbird wrote:

oh, for sure, it's not done yet. i'm hoping we don't
have fruit trees blooming too early. last year went
ok in comparison to the year before, but i'd sure like
to see another fairly normal spring. seems we go right
from winter to summer without much in between.

The problems we've had over the last few years is that we've effectively
had several springs each year in quite quick succession so most of the
plants have been very confused and then, like you, the temps sky rocket
rapidly to mid summer temps.

This year has been a different story though and thank heaven for that -
it's mostly been cooler than usual with a few short summer bursts before
going cooler again.

what a difference a day makes. the snow is melting
pretty quickly, we might see some spring flowers soon.

we're at least 8 weeks from planting most things other
than some early peas and onions.

i stay off the gardens and what little grassy areas
we have left until they are fairly dried out and growing
again. that helps avoid a lot of compaction problems
and a lot of the mess too with our high percentage of
clay soils.

:-)) Catalogue reading time!

i manage to avoid most of them. there is a localish
grain elevator that has a good selection of bulk seeds
and packaged seeds and what they don't have i can usually
get at the other stores on the seed racks.

i'm not really a high $ buyer when it comes to seeds
and plants. i've spent 5-10 times as much on the spring
flower bulbs over the years.

and of course, if i can find someone to trade with i'll
do that instead. much more fun when it works out.

songbird