Old 12-03-2015, 05:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Rose food - 6" from trunk?

Bought organic rose food "Espoma Citrus-Tone".

Directions say not to apply within 6" from trunk.

We all know that feeder roots are where food enters tree, but curious why this
positive instruction to stay 6" from trunk.

This is an ADORAbleshingto Drwae
Old 12-03-2015, 05:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thursday, March 12, 2015 at 9:33:56 AM UTC-7, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
Bought organic rose food "Espoma Citrus-Tone".

Directions say not to apply within 6" from trunk.

We all know that feeder roots are where food enters tree, but curious why this
positive instruction to stay 6" from trunk.

This is an ADORAbleshingto Drwae

Sorry, this keyboard is driving me nuts.

Where were we? Oh, yes -- adorable Washington dwarf barely 3' high,
just COVERED with buds!

So, -6" proximity to trunk..???

IA

HB
Old 12-03-2015, 06:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

Hypatia Nachshon writes:

On Thursday, March 12, 2015 at 9:33:56 AM UTC-7, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
Bought organic rose food "Espoma Citrus-Tone".

Directions say not to apply within 6" from trunk.

We all know that feeder roots are where food enters tree, but curious why this
positive instruction to stay 6" from trunk.

This is an ADORAbleshingto Drwae

Sorry, this keyboard is driving me nuts.

Where were we? Oh, yes -- adorable Washington dwarf barely 3' high,
just COVERED with buds!

So, -6" proximity to trunk..???

So, what's wrong with 6 inches.
I'd expect anything put in the ground and watered to spread at least 6
inches. So you have the 12 inches around the plant well fed.
For a rose, I suspect that's the limit of the root length.
There should be feeder roots even near the trunk.

--
Dan Espen
Old 12-03-2015, 06:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 12 Mar 2015 13:16:46 -0400, Dan Espen
wrote:

Hypatia Nachshon writes:

On Thursday, March 12, 2015 at 9:33:56 AM UTC-7, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
Bought organic rose food "Espoma Citrus-Tone".

Directions say not to apply within 6" from trunk.

We all know that feeder roots are where food enters tree, but curious why this
positive instruction to stay 6" from trunk.

This is an ADORAbleshingto Drwae

Sorry, this keyboard is driving me nuts.

Where were we? Oh, yes -- adorable Washington dwarf barely 3' high,
just COVERED with buds!

So, -6" proximity to trunk..???

So, what's wrong with 6 inches.
I'd expect anything put in the ground and watered to spread at least 6
inches. So you have the 12 inches around the plant well fed.
For a rose, I suspect that's the limit of the root length.
There should be feeder roots even near the trunk.

Plants are typically fertilzed just inside their drip line... too
close to the trunk can cause roots to grow inward and girdle the
plant.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thursday, March 12, 2015 at 9:37:15 AM UTC-7, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
On Thursday, March 12, 2015 at 9:33:56 AM UTC-7, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
Bought organic rose food "Espoma Citrus-Tone".

Directions say not to apply within 6" from trunk.

We all know that feeder roots are where food enters tree, but curious why this
positive instruction to stay 6" from trunk.

This is an ADORAbleshingto Drwae

Sorry, this keyboard is driving me nuts.

Where were we? Oh, yes -- adorable Washington dwarf barely 3' high,
just COVERED with buds!

So, -6" proximity to trunk..???

IA

HB

OMG, Pls don't send the butterfly net after me!

This was NOT about a ROSE, it was supposed to be about a Dwarf Washington ORANGE tree! (I had fertilizing roses in another part of my so-called mind!)

Brooklyn's reply about not encouraging [feeder] roots to grow too close to the trunk may be the answer. Didn't occur to me.

If any further comment, now that we know it's a DWARF ORANGE TREE, TIA

HB

Old 12-03-2015, 07:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 3/12/2015 10:47 AM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
[...]

Is your dwarf orange in the ground or in a container? Mine are in
containers except for the tangelo, which is in a raised bed. If I
limited feeding to beyond 6 inches, my dwarf citrus would never be fed.
I make sure the soil (potting mix) is damp. Then I stir the fertilizer
into the top 1/2 inch and lightly water.

I never get enough oranges ('Robertson' navel). In some 8 years, I got
only three tangelos; after I planted it, I read they need
cross-pollination from tangerines, which I do not have. I get more
'Eureka' lemons and kumquats than anyone could use.

Just make sure your fertilizer contains zinc. For some reason, both
citrus and gardenias both require more zinc than most other plants. I
feed my gardenia with citrus food.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 12-03-2015, 07:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

Hypatia Nachshon writes:

[...]

Any tree, even a dwarf orange, 6 inches doesn't sound right to me.
Unless that's where the leaves reach out to.

So, why are you putting rose food on a citrus?
(I don't think it can hurt, but seems a bit odd.)

--
Dan Espen
Old 12-03-2015, 08:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thursday, March 12, 2015 at 11:28:20 AM UTC-7, mlcwa wrote:
Hypatia Nachshon writes:

[...]

See my above abject apology. Plant is a Dwarf Orange; I mistakenly put Rose in Subject.
HB
Old 12-03-2015, 08:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

Hypatia Nachshon writes:

[...]

See your own post.
You said rose food. Both in the subject and body.
You called the rose food "Citrus-Tone".
That could have been our hint.

Your correction addressed the plant, not the type of food.

But I think we all get it now. Citrus food, citrus plant.
But citrus food with directions about 6 inches, pretty strange.

--
Dan Espen
Old 12-03-2015, 09:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 12 Mar 2015 15:47:58 -0400, Dan Espen
wrote:

But I think we all get it now. Citrus food, citrus plant.
But citrus food with directions about 6 inches, pretty strange.

Generally the distance out to start citrus fertilizer spread is based
on the size of the trunk, but many companies vary their advice so that
logic does not always play into it. It is all over the place in
suggestion..

I have some citrus food at home that instructs to sprinkle it at the
drip line. No info about closer in or farther out. I cannot get to the
drip line as my citrus trees are in tubs that summer outside and over
winter in my basement, but I get fruit and the trees look great.

Boron

Old 13-03-2015, 01:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Thursday, March 12, 2015 at 11:00:57 AM UTC-7, David E. Ross wrote:
[...]

Tree is in the ground.

Formula of new "organic" citrus/avocado fertilizer does not contain zinc. Formula is 5-2-6 with calcium, magnesium, sulfur and 3 kinds of bacillus.

Why do you think zinc is essential? For what kind of soil?

TIA

HB

Old 13-03-2015, 03:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 3/12/2015 5:30 PM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
[...]

A lack of zinc causes a blotchy chlorosis of the leaves in citrus, which
weakens the tree. With gardenias, a lack of zinc causes flower buds to
die and fall off the plant before opening.

In any case, dwarf citrus with desirable fruit is not a natural plant.
It is never found growing wild in nature, although it sometimes seems to
be growing wild in what is actually an abandoned orchard. Unnatural
plants require at least some unnatural care. If you want to use an
organic fertilizer that apparently does not contain zinc, you should
also apply some zinc sulfate. A 5-pound box or bag will last you many
years since you need to apply only a generous pinch or two each time you
fertilize.