Old 05-05-2015, 05:21 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default A bit damp here

David Hare-Scott wrote:

It was much worse in some places, up to 400mm (16in) fell. And some old
towns are built on the floof plain. Whole houses went down the street
and people died in a town 40km away. Hundreds of homes were damaged and
many thousands are without power due to falling trees nearby (some
people never learn) and roofs being ripped off by wind.

At the camping ground enough water went through to have people swimming
for their lives and at risk of being taken, apparently they all
survived. One building was moved from one side of the rodeo area to the
other.

It isn't over yet on the weather radar I have two storms converging on
me, never seen that before. The cabbages are on hold.

I've been hearing about the weather up your way whilst we were in NZ
(from whence we've just returned). Sounds pretty grim. Hope all
remains at just a nuisance level for you.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 5 May 2015 14:09:19 +1200
"~misfit~" wrote:

snip
I have chronic back pain and can't
bend forward for long (and there's not always room to crouch near a potted
tree).

Well, I understand. Some other ideas for you...

Aquarium pump.

Veterinary/livestock supply, may have some large syringes available.

Little pumps you can run/use with a power drill, maybe a
battery drill would work. Problem with them though is they usually
don't last long pumping dirty (gritty) water:

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...t?q=drill+pump

An automotive parts store may have an oil suction pump like this too:

http://www.amazon.com/Lumax-LX-1185-.../dp/B000MD4YNY

I've had one for a long time. The metal housing is the same as a grease
gun uses. You just pull the plunger back and then push it back in to
squirt out the contents. The house could be lengthened some I'm sure. If
you got one from a local auto supply they could probably sell you some
hose too.

I quite often wander around the hardware store looking for things that
I can re-purpose to do an odd job. It's become a lot easier now with the
internet and good website search functions ;-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Old 05-05-2015, 06:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

Leon Fisk wrote:
"~misfit~" wrote:

snip
I have chronic back pain and can't
bend forward for long (and there's not always room to crouch near a potted
tree).

Well, I understand. Some other ideas for you...

Aquarium pump.

often these must be submerged to work very well,
but they can be very inexpensive. i have one that
i've used here for years to drain the pond and some
other low head sump pumping from holes we've done
for footings. i think it cost me all of $7 at
the pet store. take it apart once in a while to
clean and inspect it, but otherwise it's done fine.
magnetic impeller.

songbird
Old 01-06-2015, 02:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

Once upon a time on usenet Leon Fisk wrote:
On Tue, 5 May 2015 14:09:19 +1200
"~misfit~" wrote:

snip
I have chronic back pain and can't
bend forward for long (and there's not always room to crouch near a
potted tree).

Well, I understand. Some other ideas for you...

Sorry for the delay in returning to the group and replying.

Aquarium pump.

I keep fish so have these at hand. No chance. Some of the suacers I empty
and only 2" wider than the pot and 2" deep. Most aquarium pumps need to be
submerged and the ones that don't need to be below the water level and
primed then watched so they don't run dry. Not possible, or more accurately
practical.

Veterinary/livestock supply, may have some large syringes available.

Heh! We think alike. Alas the largest is 50ml and I really want something
that can suck up to a litre.

Little pumps you can run/use with a power drill, maybe a
battery drill would work. Problem with them though is they usually
don't last long pumping dirty (gritty) water:

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...t?q=drill+pump

Yep. The other problem is that I'd need to bend down a lot and I have a
really bad back.

An automotive parts store may have an oil suction pump like this too:

http://www.amazon.com/Lumax-LX-1185-.../dp/B000MD4YNY

I've had one for a long time. The metal housing is the same as a
grease gun uses. You just pull the plunger back and then push it back
in to squirt out the contents. The house could be lengthened some I'm
sure. If you got one from a local auto supply they could probably
sell you some hose too.

This is remarkably similat to the 250ml thing I use now (with a length of
tube on the end so I don't need to bend so much). However the rubber
washer's gone in mine and I can't find a replacement. I'm in New Zealand and
this type of thing is impossible to find - at least so far. :-/

I quite often wander around the hardware store looking for things that
I can re-purpose to do an odd job. It's become a lot easier now with
the internet and good website search functions ;-)

I do the same thing. Thanks for your input.
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Old 01-06-2015, 02:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

Once upon a time on usenet songbird wrote:
Leon Fisk wrote:
"~misfit~" wrote:

snip
I have chronic back pain and can't
bend forward for long (and there's not always room to crouch near a
potted tree).

Well, I understand. Some other ideas for you...

Aquarium pump.

often these must be submerged to work very well,
but they can be very inexpensive. i have one that
i've used here for years to drain the pond and some
other low head sump pumping from holes we've done
for footings. i think it cost me all of $7 at
the pet store. take it apart once in a while to
clean and inspect it, but otherwise it's done fine.
magnetic impeller.

Yep. As I said to Leon I have a few of these around the place but they don't
fit into the space around the pots (also I'd need to run around when there's
a break in the rain not only with a pump and bucket but also with an
extension cord).

Cheers.