Old 11-06-2015, 11:02 PM
Registered User

Question What is this plant?

Or possible weed? It looks spiky but is not. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
What is this plant?-image.jpg
Old 12-06-2015, 07:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default What is this plant?

On 12/06/2015 7:02 AM, Scorpiogirl wrote:
Or possible weed? It looks spiky but is not. Any ideas?

|Filename: image.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16272|

Cardoon or artichoke perhaps?

Old 12-06-2015, 03:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 11 Jun 2015 23:02:12 +0200, Scorpiogirl
wrote:

Or possible weed? It looks spiky but is not. Any ideas?

|Filename: image.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16272|

Almost looks like oak. What sort of stem/trunk does it have? How is it
branching?
Old 12-06-2015, 05:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

Scorpiogirl wrote:
Or possible weed? It looks spiky but is not. Any ideas?

|Filename: image.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16272|

Would need to see more of the plant but it could be some sort of
thistle, easier to ID once it flowers:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thistle
I happen to enjoy thistle's gorgeous flowers... thistle also improves
soil, its deep roots aerate... and the plant is also edible.
http://www.countrylovers.co.uk/wildfoodjj/thisprep.pdf
http://www.survival-manual.com/edibl...ts/thistle.php
Old 14-06-2015, 04:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Or possible weed? It looks spiky but is not. Any ideas?

|Filename: image.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16272|

Almost looks like oak. What sort of stem/trunk does it have? How is it
branching?

Oak? As in an oak tree?

That plant is only about 2-3ft high from looking at the soil beside the
pant and it has a leaf like any oak I've ever seen.

We'll probably never hear another thing form the OP since the post came
from gardenbanter.

Old 14-06-2015, 05:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Or possible weed? It looks spiky but is not. Any ideas?

|Filename: image.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16272|

Almost looks like oak. What sort of stem/trunk does it have? How is it
branching?

Oak? As in an oak tree?

Yes. Mighty oaks from little nuts grow....

That plant is only about 2-3ft high from looking at the soil beside the
pant and it has a leaf like any oak I've ever seen.

Well, it had similarities to red oak to my weary eyes. Granted, not
everyone's photos give decent representation of size...or even of
shape, at times. And there are a lot of different oaks out there.

https://www.extension.iastate.edu/fo...ED2_leaves.jpg

We'll probably never hear another thing form the OP since the post came
from gardenbanter.

Doesn't bother me...still makes for good conversation here.

And you should take a look at the site sometime. It is an interesting
collection of topic-related Usenet groups all together. Really, it is
not an abomination.

The web is much more accessible to most folks than Usenet is. I am
comfy with a newsreader and subscribing to a newsfeed, but not
everyone is, or even knows they exist. Keep in mind that Usenet is not
easily handled on small tablets and smart phones and those are the
largest growth sectors for online content these days.

Boron
Old 14-06-2015, 10:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpiogirl View Post
Or possible weed? It looks spiky but is not. Any ideas?
Could be Bryonia, but not 100%
Old 14-06-2015, 02:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Or possible weed? It looks spiky but is not. Any ideas?

|Filename: image.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16272|

Almost looks like oak. What sort of stem/trunk does it have? How is it
branching?

Oak? As in an oak tree?

Yes. Mighty oaks from little nuts grow....

Acorns.
https://labbenchtoparkbench.wordpres...-about-acorns/
Old 15-06-2015, 04:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Or possible weed? It looks spiky but is not. Any ideas?

|Filename: image.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16272|

Almost looks like oak. What sort of stem/trunk does it have? How is it
branching?

Oak? As in an oak tree?

Yes. Mighty oaks from little nuts grow....

True, but I htought I'd sek clarification as I know Americans give
unusual names to some plants so wondered if it was in one of those
categories, for example, I've heard of "poison oak" always got the
impression that with a name like that, it might be a ground dweller
rather than a tree and that was what was in your mind.

That plant is only about 2-3ft high from looking at the soil beside the
pant and it has a leaf like any oak I've ever seen.

Well, it had similarities to red oak to my weary eyes.

Now I'm going to have to get out my tree reference books because it
didn't make me think of Red oak so I'll have to have a shoofty and check
out the wonderful oak family again.

Granted, not
everyone's photos give decent representation of size...or even of
shape, at times. And there are a lot of different oaks out there.

True, but it was the soil beside the plant that I looked at for size.

https://www.extension.iastate.edu/fo...ED2_leaves.jpg

We'll probably never hear another thing form the OP since the post came
from gardenbanter.

Doesn't bother me...still makes for good conversation here.

And you should take a look at the site sometime. It is an interesting
collection of topic-related Usenet groups all together. Really, it is
not an abomination.

I've had a look there but most gardenbeanter posters seem to appear once
and then not again for some reason.

The web is much more accessible to most folks than Usenet is. I am
comfy with a newsreader and subscribing to a newsfeed, but not
everyone is, or even knows they exist. Keep in mind that Usenet is not
easily handled on small tablets and smart phones and those are the
largest growth sectors for online content these days.

I find tablets to be quite irritating except when travelling.

Old 16-06-2015, 03:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

There is nothing in the photo that indicates specific size, but
judging by all the plants nearby and the profusion of leaves and
pattern of leaf growth, this thing is not a ground-hugger by any
means.

https://www.extension.iastate.edu/fo...ED2_leaves.jpg

We'll probably never hear another thing form the OP since the post came
from gardenbanter.

Doesn't bother me...still makes for good conversation here.

And you should take a look at the site sometime. It is an interesting
collection of topic-related Usenet groups all together. Really, it is
not an abomination.

I've had a look there but most gardenbeanter posters seem to appear once
and then not again for some reason.

I have a feeling that their questions appear here, but our replies do
not necessarily appear to them - either at all, easily found, or
easily responded to. I other words, it may be a breeze to start a
thread at garden banter, but difficult to participate in an ongoing
one.

I find tablets to be quite irritating except when travelling.

It is the way of the world.I know what my clients are doing and all my
market research is pointing towards.Fewer and fewer home desktops are
available, more companies are making the changeover to laptops and
docking stations and traditional laptops are being replaced by things
like the MS Surface.

I am comfy with all of them, though prefer certain of them for
particular tasks.

Old 16-06-2015, 05:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

Boron Elgar wrote:
Scorpiogirl
wrote:
Or possible weed? It looks spiky but is not. Any ideas?
|Filename: image.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16272|

Almost looks like oak. What sort of stem/trunk does it have? How is it
branching?

Need a better view! Agreed... let's at least see a good pic of its
bark and branching habit. I don't see that leaf he
http://leafsnap.com/species/
Old 17-06-2015, 06:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

No, it's certainly not a grund hugger or a ground cover by any means but
from the soil beside the plant, it can't be more than 2 ft tall.

https://www.extension.iastate.edu/fo...ED2_leaves.jpg

We'll probably never hear another thing form the OP since the post came
from gardenbanter.

Doesn't bother me...still makes for good conversation here.

And you should take a look at the site sometime. It is an interesting
collection of topic-related Usenet groups all together. Really, it is
not an abomination.

I've had a look there but most gardenbeanter posters seem to appear once
and then not again for some reason.

I have a feeling that their questions appear here, but our replies do
not necessarily appear to them - either at all, easily found, or
easily responded to. I other words, it may be a breeze to start a
thread at garden banter, but difficult to participate in an ongoing
one.

Yes, I've always suspected that too because of the lack of any followup
posts form that source. I haven't ever bothered to psot there so don't
really know for sure though.

I find tablets to be quite irritating except when travelling.

It is the way of the world.I know what my clients are doing and all my
market research is pointing towards.Fewer and fewer home desktops are
available, more companies are making the changeover to laptops and
docking stations and traditional laptops are being replaced by things
like the MS Surface.

I am comfy with all of them, though prefer certain of them for
particular tasks.

I really like a traditional machine - a screen in front of me that stand
up by itself and a good keyboard that I could pound on if I was really
getting into the swing of a response. I hate tapping at screens which
aren't made for real human sized fingers. I'm a dinosaur.

Old 17-06-2015, 03:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

Fran Farmer wrote:
I really like a traditional machine - a screen in front of me that stand
up by itself and a good keyboard that I could pound on if I was really
getting into the swing of a response. I hate tapping at screens which
aren't made for real human sized fingers. I'm a dinosaur.

yeah, plus i don't want to carry any gadgets around
and if i'm away from the keyboard it means i'm also
probably not going to answer the phone until i come
back in from the gardens.

they're really slow too for someone used to touch
typing.

i used to get actual written responses to notes to
people. now i get "ru thr?" or other similar one-
liners.

songbird (fellow dinosaur
Old 18-06-2015, 01:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 17/06/2015 11:20 PM, songbird wrote:
Fran Farmer wrote:
I really like a traditional machine - a screen in front of me that stand
up by itself and a good keyboard that I could pound on if I was really
getting into the swing of a response. I hate tapping at screens which
aren't made for real human sized fingers. I'm a dinosaur.

yeah, plus i don't want to carry any gadgets around
and if i'm away from the keyboard it means i'm also
probably not going to answer the phone until i come
back in from the gardens.

they're really slow too for someone used to touch
typing.

i used to get actual written responses to notes to
people. now i get "ru thr?" or other similar one-
liners.

LOL. I'm suspect I'm even more of a dinosaur than you. I cna't
understand all this need for instant and constant contact. TMWOT, the
mobile phone plugged in people need to get a life. I watch people in
cafes and am astounded that they would prefer to look at a little screen
than the people they are with or their own tiny children who I can see
are doing things to attract attention and get the parent away from their
screen. Pathetic, IMO. The parent will be the only one to blame when
their kids grow up and care so little for their parent that they refuse
to change their parents incontinence pads.

I've only ever sent one text message on my mobile phone (as a test) and
(as far as I know) have never received one (and wouldn't respond even if
I was sent one).

I don't answer my mobile phone either and I have only given out my
mobile phone number to 2 family members who know better than to ring me
unless I'm off travelling and even then I'm always travelling with one
of them.

It's there for MY convenience so that I can ring if I need to do so, not
to make me accessible at all hours of the day or to anyone who doesn't
have the patience to ring, leave a message on the home phone and then
wait for a reponse.

songbird (fellow dinosaur

Yay!!!

Old 18-06-2015, 02:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default [OT] dinos (was: What is this plant?

Fran Farmer wrote:
I really like a traditional machine - a screen in front of me that stand
up by itself and a good keyboard that I could pound on if I was really
getting into the swing of a response. I hate tapping at screens which
aren't made for real human sized fingers. I'm a dinosaur.

yeah, plus i don't want to carry any gadgets around
and if i'm away from the keyboard it means i'm also
probably not going to answer the phone until i come
back in from the gardens.

they're really slow too for someone used to touch
typing.

i used to get actual written responses to notes to
people. now i get "ru thr?" or other similar one-
liners.

LOL. I'm suspect I'm even more of a dinosaur than you.

not too likely, we don't have cellphones (either of us)
and there are no plans to get one. Ma won't even touch a
computer any more (she used to have to use an old system
at the trucking company, but since she retired i've been
her "secretary").

I cna't
understand all this need for instant and constant contact. TMWOT, the
mobile phone plugged in people need to get a life. I watch people in
cafes and am astounded that they would prefer to look at a little screen
than the people they are with or their own tiny children who I can see
are doing things to attract attention and get the parent away from their
screen. Pathetic, IMO. The parent will be the only one to blame when
their kids grow up and care so little for their parent that they refuse
to change their parents incontinence pads.

it went from beating drums and smoke signals at a
distance to constant intrusion. what i think is missed
is the capability to be confident and content alone.
and not that i think many people are content anyways
(it may not be a natural state for any being who can
"survive"), but being able to know how to relax and
be alone without a radio or even being able to sit and
observe is a skill and it's being lost in most people.
when left alone a lot of people become frantic, addled
or disconcerted to the point that they seem like ants
cut off from their colony.

I've only ever sent one text message on my mobile phone (as a test) and
(as far as I know) have never received one (and wouldn't respond even if
I was sent one).

I don't answer my mobile phone either and I have only given out my
mobile phone number to 2 family members who know better than to ring me
unless I'm off travelling and even then I'm always travelling with one
of them.

whenever a certain sibling brings up the point about
cell phones i say to them, "i'm rarely not home. if you
want to buy one for me and pay the bill i'll keep it."
so far, no cell phone. which is more than what
happened when some folks gave Ma a cell phone when she
was being a nanny for their kids. she just stuffed it
in her drawer and left it there.

It's there for MY convenience so that I can ring if I need to do so, not
to make me accessible at all hours of the day or to anyone who doesn't
have the patience to ring, leave a message on the home phone and then
wait for a reponse.

yeah, i gave up being 24hr contactable when i quit work
full time (in '96) and i haven't regretted a moment since.

songbird (fellow dinosaur

Yay!!!

it's getting interesting as eventually i'll have to
replace this desktop (it's already been through a
replaced motherboard and the replacement is used too
so i have no real expectation it's going to last much
longer, but i hope it does).

songbird