GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   help with boxwoods (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/21182-help-boxwoods.html)

SBHCOM 07-05-2003 09:20 PM

help with boxwoods

My boxwoods came out of this winter looking really shabby (I may have
fertilized too much in the fall). The shrubs are a yellow color but under
close inspection I found that the top 1 or 2 inches are yellow and the leaves
underneath are green. So my question is should I trim the top couple inches
off the shrubs or just leave them alone and hope they turn green

A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a dumb man something to stick in his
mouth.

Vox Humana 07-05-2003 11:56 PM

help with boxwoods

"SBHCOM" wrote in message
My boxwoods came out of this winter looking really shabby (I may have
fertilized too much in the fall). The shrubs are a yellow color but under
close inspection I found that the top 1 or 2 inches are yellow and the

leaves
underneath are green. So my question is should I trim the top couple

inches
off the shrubs or just leave them alone and hope they turn green

I had some sever damage to my boxwood two years ago. What looks yellow is
probably dead. I would trim it back and see if it recovers. In my case it
didn't. The boxwood was in front of my porch. I dug it up and rotated it
180 degrees so the bad side faced the porch. I have trimmed out the dead
patched and it has been very slow to fill in.

John Bachman 08-05-2003 10:57 AM

help with boxwoods

On 07 May 2003 20:12:35 GMT, (SBHCOM) wrote:

My boxwoods came out of this winter looking really shabby (I may have
fertilized too much in the fall). The shrubs are a yellow color but under
close inspection I found that the top 1 or 2 inches are yellow and the leaves
underneath are green. So my question is should I trim the top couple inches
off the shrubs or just leave them alone and hope they turn green

You did not give your zone but I presume that you are in 5 or less.
Boxwoods are subject to winter damage caused by drying of the leaves.
Application of an anti-dessicant in late fall or early winter usually
deals with the issue.

The problem is that the anti-dessicant must be applied as late as
possible and on a day of 40 degrees + temperature. I do all of my
broadleaf evergreens in mid-November to be sure I got some on and then
try for another application in Decembe if possible.

John

Vox Humana 08-05-2003 02:08 PM

help with boxwoods

"John Bachman" wrote in message
[...]

I am in zone 6b. I think it was a combination of cold and dry with little
snow cover that did it.

SBHCOM 08-05-2003 02:20 PM

help with boxwoods

Michigan , not sure of the zone

Marley1372 09-05-2003 08:08 PM

help with boxwoods

Your boxwoods probably have some winter damage. You can try all kinds of
voodoo magic like wrapping them with ugly burlap or srpaying them with wilt
pruf, or you can simply water them.

Toad