Old 05-07-2015, 03:20 PM
Registered User

Wink small garden

we recently moved to a flat with what we thought was a good size garden only to find out the land didn't belong with the flat. The council have decided to sell the land as its part of a bigger plot, lucky nobody will get planning permission and a lady wants it as an extension to her garden lucky lady but because we live in local housing authority we couldn't but it even if we could of afforded it, so to the point
the strip we have is 6ft by 26ft yea small but its still a garden my only down side is that i might have to put my washing line on this plot as well and thats 6ft by 6ft when up,
its fenced in on three sides and a wall on the fourth long side we have put 12 slabs in so we have somewhere to sit two clematis to climb the wall,

not sure what else at the moment as its uneven and grassy, will remove the grass and lay mulch of some sort around plants as they get put in will get photos to add later
Old 05-07-2015, 05:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default small garden

katheryn wrote:
not sure what else at the moment as its uneven and grassy, will remove
the grass and lay mulch of some sort around plants as they get put in
will get photos to add later

dig a hole and bury the grass as the roots contain
a lot of good topsoil and nutrients when the worms
break it all down.

songbird
Old 05-07-2015, 08:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/5/2015 10:20 AM, katheryn wrote:
[...]

With that narrow a fenced garden the orientation will be all-important.
Does it actually get enough hours of sunlight (UK weather permitting) to
grow anything sun-loving? Many veggies are very demanding of their light
and you'd be hard pressed to grow tomatoes or any of their Solanum kin
without 6+ hours of good direct sunlight. I managed to grow tomatoes and
cucumbers in Alaska when I lived there -- plenty of daylight but not enough
warmth so I had to resort to fiberglass hot-boxes over two 6 X 6 X 1-foot
raised beds.

You might consider a long strip of raised bed along one side of the strip
if that would allow enough sunlight since that would allow you to put up a
clothes line over the bed and still have access to both bed and line.

Just my two-pence worth...
Old 05-07-2015, 10:40 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McGaw View Post
:

With that narrow a fenced garden the orientation will be all-important.
Does it actually get enough hours of sunlight (UK weather permitting) to
grow anything sun-loving? Many veggies are very demanding of their light
and you'd be hard pressed to grow tomatoes or any of their Solanum kin
without 6+ hours of good direct sunlight. I managed to grow tomatoes and
cucumbers in Alaska when I lived there -- plenty of daylight but not enough
warmth so I had to resort to fiberglass hot-boxes over two 6 X 6 X 1-foot
raised beds.

You might consider a long strip of raised bed along one side of the strip
if that would allow enough sunlight since that would allow you to put up a
clothes line over the bed and still have access to both bed and line.

Just my two-pence worth...
ty i dont think any veggies this year im going to go down flowers but i want stuff that will last like the clematis , i also love the plant bleeding heart, nearest garden has loads of rosses and pienies
Old 05-07-2015, 10:43 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird[_2_] View Post
katheryn wrote:
not sure what else at the moment as its uneven and grassy, will remove
the grass and lay mulch of some sort around plants as they get put in
will get photos to add later

dig a hole and bury the grass as the roots contain
a lot of good topsoil and nutrients when the worms
break it all down.

songbird
Ty songbird yea will be putting grass bk into the garden