Old 12-07-2015, 02:34 AM posted to misc.rural;,rec.gardens

Default weed identification - southwestern Ontario stream banks

Sorry if too off topic - we have been seeing this tall weed more &
more lately along the stream banks - I would like some suggestions
as to its identification - I can easliy google your suggestions to
confirm.
: no flowers yet ? July 11
: 3 - 6 feet tall
: large variable leaves - deep leaf lobes 3 or 5 lobes
: vigorous clusters of plants close together

I checked my old wildflower books - no luck.
I did some google searching - no luck.
I have seen giant hogweed before and reported it
and this isn't it.
Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks ;
John T.

Old 12-07-2015, 08:04 PM posted to misc.rural;,rec.gardens

On Sat, 11 Jul 2015 21:34:00 -0400
hubops wrote:

Sorry if too off topic - we have been seeing this tall weed more &
more lately along the stream banks - I would like some suggestions
as to its identification - I can easliy google your suggestions to
confirm.
: no flowers yet ? July 11
: 3 - 6 feet tall
: large variable leaves - deep leaf lobes 3 or 5 lobes
: vigorous clusters of plants close together

I checked my old wildflower books - no luck.
I did some google searching - no luck.
I have seen giant hogweed before and reported it
and this isn't it.
Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks ;
John T.

An image would be really helpful ;-)

Just a WAG, Giant Ragweed:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambrosia_trifida

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Old 13-07-2015, 06:48 PM posted to misc.rural;,rec.gardens

Sorry if too off topic - we have been seeing this tall weed more &
more lately along the stream banks - I would like some suggestions
as to its identification - I can easliy google your suggestions to
confirm.
: no flowers yet ? July 11
: 3 - 6 feet tall
: large variable leaves - deep leaf lobes 3 or 5 lobes
: vigorous clusters of plants close together

I checked my old wildflower books - no luck.
I did some google searching - no luck.
I have seen giant hogweed before and reported it
and this isn't it.
Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks ;
John T.

An image would be really helpful ;-)
Just a WAG, Giant Ragweed:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambrosia_trifida

__ Y E S ! __ Thanks for the reply.

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/...nt_ragweed.htm

.... flowering in August - big-time hay-fever alergen.
... can grow to 13 feet under good conditions !
John T.