Old 15-07-2015, 06:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Mushrooms in new sod

I just had my backyard redone and I am attempting to do some gardening (I live in the SF Bay Area). I hope to be able to get some help in this group. I had a small patch of grass put down in my cat enclosure for the cats to go out and play in. If you have cats, you know that they chew on grass. A few days ago several mushrooms sprung up in the grass. I am afraid these may be poisonous and obviously a danger for the cats. I have done some research on the web on mushrooms in new sod and found a lot of info, but nowhere it states whether these mushrooms are poisonous or not. They look like the ones in the picture he
http://www.turfunlimited.com/2014/07...-lawns-health/
I wonder if anyone in this group may know. Thank you in advance!

CL
Old 15-07-2015, 08:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/15/2015 10:57 AM, SSF94080 wrote:

I just had my backyard redone and I am attempting to do some
gardening (I live in the SF Bay Area). I hope to be able to get some
help in this group. I had a small patch of grass put down in my cat
enclosure for the cats to go out and play in. If you have cats, you
know that they chew on grass. A few days ago several mushrooms
sprung up in the grass. I am afraid these may be poisonous and
obviously a danger for the cats. I have done some research on the
web on mushrooms in new sod and found a lot of info, but nowhere it
states whether these mushrooms are poisonous or not. They look like
the ones in the picture he
http://www.turfunlimited.com/2014/07...-lawns-health/

I wonder if anyone in this group may know. Thank you in advance!

To be safe, I would remove the visible parts of the mushrooms. You
might have to do this more than once.

What is underground is actually the main part of the fungus. To
permanently remove the main part, buy a small amount of soil sulfur at a
local nursery or hardware store. You should be able to buy a small bag
or a box the size of a cereal box. Scatter a handful sulfur in the area
where you saw the mushrooms and lightly water it to rinse it off of the
grass leaves.

Sulfur is a natural fungicide. Soil bacteria will very gradually
convert it into sulfuric acid, which should kill the underground fungus
without damaging desirable plants.

Can you really use enough water to get a new lawn established without
being penalized by your local water agency?

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 15-07-2015, 11:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

SSF94080 wrote:

I just had my backyard redone and I am attempting to do some gardening (I live in the SF Bay Area). I hope to be able to get some help in this group. I had a small patch of grass put down in my cat enclosure for the cats to go out and play in. If you have cats, you know that they chew on grass. A few days ago several mushrooms sprung up in the grass. I am afraid these may be poisonous and obviously a danger for the cats. I have done some research on the web on mushrooms in new sod and found a lot of info, but nowhere it states whether these mushrooms are poisonous or not. They look like the ones in the picture he
http://www.turfunlimited.com/2014/07...-lawns-health/
I wonder if anyone in this group may know. Thank you in advance!

Typically animals know not to eat fungi and poisonous plants but still
I would remove those mushrooms so they are not accidently ingested as
cats tend to play with things they find and then may ingest bits as
they clean themselves. The parts you see are only the fruiting
bodies, the vast majority of mushrooms are underground, their mycilian
are the largest living organisms on the planet, so you cannot
eradicate them. This may help you identify them:
http://academic.evergreen.edu/projec.../phm/index.htm
Old 16-07-2015, 12:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 15 Jul 2015 18:44:41 -0400, Brooklyn1
wrote:

SSF94080 wrote:

[...]

Sorry for the incorrect spelling:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycelium

Old 16-07-2015, 03:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wednesday, July 15, 2015 at 1:57:17 PM UTC-4, SSF94080 wrote:
I just had my backyard redone and I am attempting to do some gardening (I live in the SF Bay Area). I hope to be able to get some help in this group. I had a small patch of grass put down in my cat enclosure for the cats to go out and play in. If you have cats, you know that they chew on grass. A few days ago several mushrooms sprung up in the grass. I am afraid these may be poisonous and obviously a danger for the cats. I have done some research on the web on mushrooms in new sod and found a lot of info, but nowhere it states whether these mushrooms are poisonous or not. They look like the ones in the picture he
http://www.turfunlimited.com/2014/07...-lawns-health/
I wonder if anyone in this group may know. Thank you in advance!

CL

The photo you referred to appears to be in either the genus of Coprinus or Panolus. Many of the Coprinus species are edible for humans (unless they have been drinking alcohol), Panolus species may or may not be psychoactive for humans. Guidebooks list them as poisonous because of this. All this being said it doesn't mean that these particular mushrooms are poisonous to cats. Have a look here http://www.namyco.org/mushroom_poiso...in_dogs_an.php for more info.
Steve