Old 30-07-2015, 12:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Crinum Not Blooming

I have a white crinum (C. bulbispermum × moorei 'Album'), which has not
flowered for several years. I am reluctant to divide it since I once
read that disturbing its roots at the wrong time can further delay
blooming for several more years (just like its Amaryllis and Sprekelia
relatives).

Does anyone know what is the right time to divide crinums?

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 30-07-2015, 05:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

David E. Ross wrote:

I have a white crinum (C. bulbispermum × moorei 'Album'), which has not
flowered for several years. I am reluctant to divide it since I once
read that disturbing its roots at the wrong time can further delay
blooming for several more years (just like its Amaryllis and Sprekelia
relatives).

Does anyone know what is the right time to divide crinums?

if it is a true bulb like plant then when it
goes dormant is the best time to divide it (especially
if it is finicky about being disturbed).

i think such plants need a lot of water because of
how large they are and how deeply they might be
planted. in your climate that might be a challenge
beyond the other normal factors of soil, nutrition
and light.

at first i thought i was seeing another example of
the "lily tree" as the flowers look similar at a
distance.

songbird
Old 30-07-2015, 05:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/29/2015 8:06 PM, songbird wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:

[...]

One problem is that crinums do not go dormant. They are evergreen.

Old 30-07-2015, 01:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

http://www.louistheplantgeek.com/a-g...um-white-queen
Old 30-07-2015, 04:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

David E. Ross wrote:
One problem is that crinums do not go dormant. They are evergreen.

ah, when does it usually flower?

i'd pick a week or two before the mid point
between that and the next expected flowering.

songbird

Old 30-07-2015, 04:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

Brooklyn1 wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:

I have a white crinum (C. bulbispermum × moorei 'Album'), which has not
flowered for several years. I am reluctant to divide it since I once
read that disturbing its roots at the wrong time can further delay
blooming for several more years (just like its Amaryllis and Sprekelia
relatives).

Does anyone know what is the right time to divide crinums?

http://www.louistheplantgeek.com/a-g...um-white-queen

interesting that it is compared to amarylis. the
amarylis here seem to do ok with being divided (the
larger bulbs bloom the next spring without a problem
for me), but i do this during the mid-winter after
they've been forced into dormancy.

from the description it sounds like in the colder
climates crinum can also be forced into dormancy.

i think lifting the clump and taking off the smaller
side shoots can give you some viable plants, and this
may also give you a chance to amend the soil again
to help it flower some more. perhaps it will do better
having a little less competition, more nutrients and
water?

songbird

[IMG] code is On

Crinum asiaticum Wendy7 Garden Photos 0 20-07-2008 03:37 AM
is this a Crinum someone Garden Photos 1 15-04-2007 12:32 AM
Crinum seed Sacha United Kingdom 4 02-08-2006 04:31 PM
Crinum Id Phillip Sherman Plant Science 0 07-04-2004 09:36 PM
Transplanting Crinum's Ben Australia 0 03-07-2003 03:08 AM