Old 12-08-2015, 05:20 PM
Registered User

Default Late attack of lupin aphid

Hi - My lupins have flowered well this year - I cut off the dead spikes and got a second flush. More or less finished now, but the remaining foliage and some new growth from the flower spikes are being badly attacked by white lupin aphids - I can't keep up with them by wiping off. It's August now - would it be OK to just cut the foliage right back? - I can see new growth at the base and it will be much easier to keep that aphid-free if all the ragged old stuff wasn't in the way.

Any advice appreciated
Old 13-08-2015, 12:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

Steve Kind wrote:

Hi - My lupins have flowered well this year - I cut off the dead spikes
and got a second flush. More or less finished now, but the remaining
foliage and some new growth from the flower spikes are being badly
attacked by white lupin aphids - I can't keep up with them by wiping
off. It's August now - would it be OK to just cut the foliage right
back? - I can see new growth at the base and it will be much easier to
keep that aphid-free if all the ragged old stuff wasn't in the way.

Any advice appreciated

where are your Lady Bugs?

songbird
Old 19-08-2015, 03:05 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird[_2_] View Post
Steve Kind wrote:

Hi - My lupins have flowered well this year - I cut off the dead spikes
and got a second flush. More or less finished now, but the remaining
foliage and some new growth from the flower spikes are being badly
attacked by white lupin aphids - I can't keep up with them by wiping
off. It's August now - would it be OK to just cut the foliage right
back? - I can see new growth at the base and it will be much easier to
keep that aphid-free if all the ragged old stuff wasn't in the way.

Any advice appreciated

where are your Lady Bugs?

songbird
Oh - plenty of ladybirds in the garden songbird - but they appear not to be ineterested in eating lupin aphids!

[IMG] code is On

Lupin problem Judith in France United Kingdom 18 15-08-2008 04:36 PM
Lupin question. Freedom_Spark Gardening 3 15-07-2008 07:43 PM
Lupin Ron[_3_] Garden Photos 0 21-05-2008 07:10 AM
Lupin variety "Myrtle Rosemary" [email protected] United Kingdom 0 27-04-2006 11:52 AM
Lupin shannie United Kingdom 0 29-07-2003 10:47 PM