Old 07-05-2003, 11:08 PM
Rick and Dana Siekmann

Default Lawn Striper...need some input

Has anyone tried it, and if so how did it work--ease of installation, use,
etc.? Does anyone know of any similar products that might work as well (or
better)? Obviously I know you can get rollers for riding mowers/tractors,
but I'm a pusher, and this is the first thing like it I've seen. And having
just picked up a copy of David Mellor's "Lawn Bible, " it looks intriguing.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.lawnstriper.com/

Old 08-05-2003, 12:08 AM
Vox Humana

"Rick and Dana Siekmann" wrote in message
Has anyone tried it, and if so how did it work--ease of installation, use,
etc.? Does anyone know of any similar products that might work as well

(or
better)? Obviously I know you can get rollers for riding mowers/tractors,
but I'm a pusher, and this is the first thing like it I've seen. And

having
just picked up a copy of David Mellor's "Lawn Bible, " it looks

intriguing.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.lawnstriper.com/

I think that using weighted rollers on your lawn is a bad idea. It compacts
the soil and does the opposite of what you try to accomplish with core
aeration. I suppose that on sports fields where the turf is replaced
frequently it doesn't matter.

Old 08-05-2003, 04:32 AM
Rick and Dana Siekmann

"Vox Humana" wrote in message

[...]

Hmmm, I hadn't thought of that...but that does raise an interesting
question: how much is too much? Weight, I mean. Does dragging a 30lb
roller around your yard really have that much more of a compacting effect
than just walking on it? I weigh a lot more than thirty pounds, for
example, and all my weight is concentrated on two spindley little legs. So
the places I step must really be compacted. (And I step on my yard a lot!)
Relatively speaking, I'm not sure the the dirt below would even notice those
thirty extra pounds.

Still, I appreciate the advice, and you might very well be right. On the
other hand, the guys that take care of those big league fields do seem to do
a pretty good job....

Old 08-05-2003, 02:20 PM
Vox Humana

"Vox Humana" wrote in message

[...]

I think the key there is that they have crews of experts who take care of
the fields. Most of us don't have the time or money to compensate for the
abuse that the turf gets on a sports field and still make it look good for
TV. I have seen people inadvertently stripe their lawns with a turf builder
and a drop spreader!

Old 08-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Rick and Dana Siekmann

"Vox Humana" wrote in message

[...]

True on all counts...still, I'm feeling an almost irrisistable urge to
stripe it the right way!

Old 11-05-2003, 01:56 AM
TOM KAN PA

How long after the mowing does it retain the striped effect? Seems to me that
the rolled over grass would straighten up in a couple of hours.

Old 11-05-2003, 03:08 PM
TOM KAN PA

I emailed the company because everytime I go to PNC Park for a Pittsburgh
Pirates game and see the design in the grass, I wonder if I can do that. Never
could. Anyhow, I got an immediate reply.
*****************************************Thank you for your interest in the
Lawn Striper.
The striping effect usually stays for about 5 days.
This all depends on the type of grass, the amount of
Weight in your lawn striper, and weather conditions.
Which brings up another question. If the roller is heavily weighted, what will
this do to the drive mechanism of the mower, in my case, a Toro.
Also, I do a lot of pulling the mower backwards. Seems to me this would be a
chore.

Old 12-05-2003, 08:20 PM
Rick and Dana Siekmann

I'm kinda worried about the same thing, only in my case it's: since I AM the
drive mechanism on my Craftsman, how hard is it to push this thing around a
yard. Fully loaded they say it weighs 30-35 pounds. The video on the
Inventtek site (www.inventtek.com) makes it look pretty easy, but who knows
what the cummulative effect over, say, a half acre will be?

Also, although I've e-mailed the company a couple of times myself (and yes,
they do answer promptly, even on a Sunday), I'm still a little concerned
about how to mount the thing. I just don't like the idea of having to drill
holes in the Craftsman. I've looked my machine over a couple of times and I
think I should be all right, but you never know until you actually try. I
just wish there was somewhere local to pick one up, rather than do it by
mail order.

Regardless, I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to give it a whirl in the next
week or so...unless someone beats me to the punch, I'll let you know how it
works out.

"TOM KAN PA" wrote in message
I emailed the company because everytime I go to PNC Park for a Pittsburgh
Pirates game and see the design in the grass, I wonder if I can do that.

Never
could. Anyhow, I got an immediate reply.
*****************************************Thank you for your interest in

the
Lawn Striper.
The striping effect usually stays for about 5 days.
This all depends on the type of grass, the amount of
Weight in your lawn striper, and weather conditions.
Which brings up another question. If the roller is heavily weighted, what

will
this do to the drive mechanism of the mower, in my case, a Toro.
Also, I do a lot of pulling the mower backwards. Seems to me this would be

chore.

[IMG] code is On

Lawn striper David Fogg Lawns 2 29-04-2012 02:27 PM
I need some suggestions. I went a little crazing with some Crocosmia 'Lucifer' and some daylillies and I need to get them undeer control! Marc Gardening 4 31-05-2005 03:17 PM
I need some input on external pump install mike Ponds 2 10-04-2004 02:34 AM
Lawn Striper: The Maiden Voyage (update) Rick and Dana Siekmann Gardening 2 27-05-2003 11:44 PM
Lawn Striper: The Maiden Voyage Rick and Dana Siekmann Gardening 1 24-05-2003 04:20 PM