Old 07-10-2015, 07:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Orange split

One of the oranges on my Dwarf Washington has split. Contents revealed about
2" wide.

I can't upload pic because something's wrong on computer.

Did this ever happen to NG member?

Is it safe to let it keep on maturing?

Alternative?

Normally (hah!) oranges ripen about January; maybe this year a little sooner?
Who knows - climate has gone beserk. This is So. Calif coastal.

TIA

HB
Old 07-10-2015, 08:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

http://homeorchard.ucdavis.edu/8038.pdf
Old 07-10-2015, 09:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 10/7/2015 11:58 AM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
One of the oranges on my Dwarf Washington has split. Contents revealed about
2" wide.

I can't upload pic because something's wrong on computer.

Did this ever happen to NG member?

Is it safe to let it keep on maturing?

Alternative?

Normally (hah!) oranges ripen about January; maybe this year a little sooner?
Who knows - climate has gone beserk. This is So. Calif coastal.

TIA

HB

This is usually caused by uneven moisture in the soil. First, it is too
dry; then, it is too wet.

In the ground, you should allow the soil to dry to a depth of about 1-2
inches and then irrigate. When you irrigate, do not allow the soil to
become soggy. Citrus requires good drainage.

I have three dwarf citrus in large pots. See
http://www.rossde.com/garden/dwarf_citrus.html. In the pots, I used
my own home-made potting mix; see
http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_potting_mix.html. With the
current drought, these get watered 15 minutes twice each week via a drip
system; previously, I watered them every third day for about 20-25
minutes.

I also have a dwarf tangelo in a raised bed framed with lose concrete
blocks. For this, I dug to a depth equal to the height of the blocks.
I stirred compost, wood chips, peat moss, coarse sand, and gypsum into
the native clay soil. Every other year, I apply more gypsum to maintain
good drainage.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 11-10-2015, 03:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

One of the oranges on my Dwarf Washington has split. Contents revealed about
2" wide.

I can't upload pic because something's wrong on computer.

Did this ever happen to NG member?

Is it safe to let it keep on maturing?

Alternative?

Normally (hah!) oranges ripen about January; maybe this year a little sooner?
Who knows - climate has gone beserk. This is So. Calif coastal.

TIA

HB

http://homeorchard.ucdavis.edu/8038.pdf

Thanks to all who replied.

The above site has been particularly useful.

HB
Old 14-10-2015, 03:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

One of the oranges on my Dwarf Washington has split. Contents revealed about
2" wide.

I can't upload pic because something's wrong on computer.

Did this ever happen to NG member?

Is it safe to let it keep on maturing?

Alternative?

Normally (hah!) oranges ripen about January; maybe this year a little sooner?
Who knows - climate has gone beserk. This is So. Calif coastal.

TIA

HB

http://homeorchard.ucdavis.edu/8038.pdf

Thanks to all who replied.

The above site has been particularly useful.

HB

Always happy to help, and if it is something I do not know myself
(that covers a *LOT* of stuff!), my instinct is to find an extension
service or university ag department in my immediate area that is
familiar with local plantings and problems.

These sources are generally sources of excellent diagnostics and
proven remedies. The only drawbacks are that often Big Ag is supported
answers may be geared to professional growers, rather than home
gardeners.

Old 14-10-2015, 08:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

I call the Cornell Extention all the time with all sorts of gardening
questions, they are very happy to help.
http://albany.cce.cornell.edu/
Old 21-10-2015, 05:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

One of the oranges on my Dwarf Washington has split. Contents revealed about
2" wide.

I can't upload pic because something's wrong on computer.

Did this ever happen to NG member?

Is it safe to let it keep on maturing?

Alternative?

Normally (hah!) oranges ripen about January; maybe this year a little sooner?
Who knows - climate has gone beserk. This is So. Calif coastal.

TIA

HB

http://homeorchard.ucdavis.edu/8038.pdf

Thanks to all who replied.

The above site has been particularly useful.

HB

Sigh! Another case where I didn't think of the obvious. Thanks to all who suggested contacting university extensions.

HB