Old 14-10-2015, 10:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default HEBE

I am a big fan of Hebe, esp. "Wiri Blush". Have them all over the garden.

Here's the weird thing, for example: Three in a bed; two will die and the other flourish. Has happened several times. They all get the same conditions. This happens sometimes a year or two after planting.

Can one plant be inherently "feeble" and another not?

HB
Old 15-10-2015, 01:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 14/10/2015 8:20 PM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
I am a big fan of Hebe, esp. "Wiri Blush". Have them all over the garden.

:-)) I'm a big hebe hater. I don't know why I dont'liek them but I
never have done.

Here's the weird thing, for example: Three in a bed; two will die and the other flourish. Has happened several times. They all get the same conditions. This happens sometimes a year or two after planting.

Can one plant be inherently "feeble" and another not?

Can't answer that one.

Old 15-10-2015, 02:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 2015-10-14 09:20:54 +0000, Hypatia Nachshon said:

I am a big fan of Hebe, esp. "Wiri Blush". Have them all over the garden.

Here's the weird thing, for example: Three in a bed; two will die and
the other flourish. Has happened several times. They all get the same
conditions. This happens sometimes a year or two after planting.

Can one plant be inherently "feeble" and another not?

Could be. Have you considered propagating the survivors via cuttings?
I hear it is easy with hebes.

Old 16-10-2015, 05:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 2015-10-14 09:20:54 +0000, Hypatia Nachshon said:

I am a big fan of Hebe, esp. "Wiri Blush". Have them all over the garden.

Here's the weird thing, for example: Three in a bed; two will die and
the other flourish. Has happened several times. They all get the same
conditions. This happens sometimes a year or two after planting.

Can one plant be inherently "feeble" and another not?

Could be. Have you considered propagating the survivors via cuttings?
I hear it is easy with hebes.

You raise a question I've been battling with.

I want to propagate a lovely white azalea that is sprawling all over. My gardener assures me it can't be done. There are enough low-growing branches that need pruning anyway, so I'm willing to try. BUT I have never understood cutting vs twisting. The former is supposed to be a no-no, but why? I've tried to do research on-line but not fpund answers.

So I'm asking you & other kind NG members for input on cutting vs twisting, both for the surviving Hebe and for the azalea.

TIA

HB
Old 16-10-2015, 12:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 2015-10-14 09:20:54 +0000, Hypatia Nachshon said:

[...]

Azaleas are one of the easiest shrubs to propagate by layering.
Don't prune those low growing branches, press a section into the
ground and place a rock over it, in a month roots will grow, then
prune and replant. You need a new gardener, one whose not really a
toilet janitor.
http://azaleachapter.com/plant-info/...ation/layering

Old 21-10-2015, 05:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 2015-10-14 09:20:54 +0000, Hypatia Nachshon said:

[...]

Very exciting! Not sure I'll have room where the plant is located right near a concrete path, but it's worth a try.

Now, would someone speak on the "cutting vs twisting" question. Really curious and can't find info.

HB

[IMG] code is On

Hebe Andersonii Variegata Variegated Hebe Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 0 23-03-2010 09:41 AM
Hebe or not Hebe Twobtold Gardening 9 29-08-2004 08:33 PM
Hebe Autumn Glory ( problems) Please Help Evelyn Usher United Kingdom 3 11-06-2003 01:08 AM
Hebe Autumn Glory ( problems) Please Help Evelyn Usher United Kingdom 1 09-06-2003 07:08 PM
Hebe - Pruning Jack United Kingdom 1 11-02-2003 09:23 AM