Old 22-10-2015, 08:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default California Drought

At the end of the 2014-2015 rain year (1 October to 30 September), 12
major California reservoirs held a collective content of 25% of
capacity. Despite some rain in September, the reservoirs now only
contain 44% of the historical average amount of water for 30 September.

Nevertheless, there are some residential properties constantly using
over 1,000 gallons of water PER HOUR. In northern California, these
water hogs are named. In Los Angeles, however, the Department of Water
and Power (LADWP) refuses to disclose the identities of water wasters.
The LADWP proposes to raise its water rates to recover revenues lost
because most customers are conserving water. Instead, the LADWP should
raise its rates only for those who use the most water.

I was digging in my garden yesterday to plant some perennials. Although
I have cut back on irrigation per a mandate from my water service, I
noted that the soil was still moist. No, it was not wet; but it was
moist enough to sustain my garden.

El Niño is expected to drop record-breaking rain on California this
winter. I have several concerns about this prediction:

* During past El Niño events, expected rainfall did not always occur.

* In other El Niño events, southern California received a disastrous
soaking (people died) while northern California -- where the main
reservoirs are located -- received only minimal rain.

* And finally, El Niño results from very warm temperatures in the
Pacific. Instead of snow in the mountains, northern California might
get only rain. The reservoirs cannot hold enough water to meet our
needs. The snowpack in the Sierra Nevada Mountains is actually our main
reservoir, often holding an order of magnitude more water than all the
man-made reservoirs combined. The snow melts slowly, tricking into the
man-made reservoirs as water already there is consumed. With rain
instead of snow, our drought cannot end.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 22-10-2015, 11:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 10/22/2015 2:32 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
At the end of the 2014-2015 rain year (1 October to 30 September), 12
major California reservoirs held a collective content of 25% of
capacity. Despite some rain in September, the reservoirs now only
contain 44% of the historical average amount of water for 30 September.

snip...

I left California right before the mid-1970s drought got really bad and it
didn't affect me too terribly much because I was living in a tiny apartment
in Silicon Valley at the time. As much as I liked living and traveling in
the state it seemed that there was always something going on: drought gives
way to fire gives way to landslides gives way to earthquake, gives way to
wacko attacks - lather, rinse, repeat. Even with all that I deeply regret
not trying to buy an empty property in La Honda when I could have (with
great financial stress, of course). If nothing else, it could have made me
a ton of money in the long run -- even horrible little houses in Sunnyvale
and Mountain View are now million-dollar properties so there is no telling
what 3/4A of property with a view within an easy commute of SV might be worth.

Old 23-10-2015, 07:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

David E. Ross wrote:

At the end of the 2014-2015 rain year (1 October to 30 September), 12
major California reservoirs held a collective content of 25% of
capacity. Despite some rain in September, the reservoirs now only
contain 44% of the historical average amount of water for 30 September.

Nevertheless, there are some residential properties constantly using
over 1,000 gallons of water PER HOUR. In northern California, these
water hogs are named. In Los Angeles, however, the Department of Water
and Power (LADWP) refuses to disclose the identities of water wasters.
The LADWP proposes to raise its water rates to recover revenues lost
because most customers are conserving water. Instead, the LADWP should
raise its rates only for those who use the most water.

the fixed costs of delivering the water should be
spread out to all customers, as for what to do about
volume it does make sense to charge more for the higher
volume users, but does that mean they are wasting
water? maybe not. in some cases anything that plants
are not using will go into recharging the groundwater
so that's not a horrible outcome. and of course the
losses due to evaporation.

I was digging in my garden yesterday to plant some perennials. Although
I have cut back on irrigation per a mandate from my water service, I
noted that the soil was still moist. No, it was not wet; but it was
moist enough to sustain my garden.

there's been a few nice rains in areas recently, so that
does help folks out a lot. even if it doesn't soak through
at least it does moderate soil temperatures and give the
trees a bit of moisture to tide them over until the next
bout happens to come along.

El Niño is expected to drop record-breaking rain on California this
winter. I have several concerns about this prediction:

* During past El Niño events, expected rainfall did not always occur.

* In other El Niño events, southern California received a disastrous
soaking (people died) while northern California -- where the main
reservoirs are located -- received only minimal rain.

the forecast has been updated recently to increase
the odds that the norhtern part of the state will have
a better chance of getting some of the rains.

right now the hurricane that is heading into Mexico
on the Pacific side may be some interesting weather.

* And finally, El Niño results from very warm temperatures in the
Pacific. Instead of snow in the mountains, northern California might
get only rain. The reservoirs cannot hold enough water to meet our
needs. The snowpack in the Sierra Nevada Mountains is actually our main
reservoir, often holding an order of magnitude more water than all the
man-made reservoirs combined. The snow melts slowly, tricking into the
man-made reservoirs as water already there is consumed. With rain
instead of snow, our drought cannot end.

it will take a very wet year to refill all the reservoirs
that are low.

whatever rains you guys get will help, but the flip side
of El Nino is sometimes followed by more drought of a
La Nina...

interesting to see that New Mexico is now drought free
for the first time in many years. watching the radar
last night and yesterday i saw they picked up yet another
storm and Lake Powell is getting some recharge already.
hopefully for CA, AZ and NV the trend will continue and
they'll get some more good rains to give the ground-
water a chance to recharge.

in Albuquerque they are starting to pump groundwater
they've been storing for the first time since they
started the recharg program (leaving more water in
the river and giving fish and other wildlife a break during
a period of low flow). hopefully in 30-50 years there
will be spots in CA where they can do similar.

songbird