Old 25-10-2015, 05:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Dog Doo problem

Dog leaving smallish black doodoo in same area for years.
Dunno how he/she/it gets in.

Area is not planted, no grass, can be treated mean.

At this site various homemade repellents are described:

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plan...-repellent.htm

*******Would Hon. Members give feedback on what has
worked for them? Before I lose my momentum g

Yes, I can buy commercial repellent, but one of the
sites says that capsicum (sp?) is the main ingredient
in some repellents.

Note also that there is no problem re-applying after
rain BECAUSE THERE IS NO EFFING RAIN!!!

HB

Old 25-10-2015, 06:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 10/25/2015 9:36 AM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
Dog leaving smallish black doodoo in same area for years.
Dunno how he/she/it gets in.

Area is not planted, no grass, can be treated mean.

At this site various homemade repellents are described:

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plan...-repellent.htm

*******Would Hon. Members give feedback on what has
worked for them? Before I lose my momentum g

Yes, I can buy commercial repellent, but one of the
sites says that capsicum (sp?) is the main ingredient
in some repellents.

Note also that there is no problem re-applying after
rain BECAUSE THERE IS NO EFFING RAIN!!!

HB

I am seeing a similar problem in my back yard. Because of fences,
walls, and a gate with only 2 inches of clearance from a concrete walk,
no dogs are responsible. I suspect a raccoon, against which a large
Havahart trap would likely be effective. I suspect the usual scented
repellents will not be effective since raccoons are omniverous.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 25-10-2015, 08:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sunday, October 25, 2015 at 10:07:20 AM UTC-7, David E. Ross wrote:
[...]

Thanks. This is definitely dog doo. He/she/it has been frequenting area for some time. I want to put an end to it. Link I posted mentions home remedies.

****Wondered if anybody can recommend an effective home made repellent.

(I HAVE had raccoon problems (also possums), coming in cat door. Just ordered an electronic cat door which will be programmed to the cat's chip.

Ironically, my cat, who is supposed to be taking prednisone for an intestinal
cancer, is so spooked by the medicating process that he hates me; has just about moved out. So hope I can catch him to program the new door.
Old 25-10-2015, 08:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

Hypatia wrote:
Dog leaving smallish black doodoo in same area for years.
Dunno how he/she/it gets in.
Area is not planted, no grass, can be treated mean.
At this site various homemade repellents are described:
http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plan...-repellent.htm
*******Would Hon. Members give feedback on what has
worked for them? Before I lose my momentum g
Yes, I can buy commercial repellent, but one of the
sites says that capsicum (sp?) is the main ingredient
in some repellents.
Note also that there is no problem re-applying after
rain BECAUSE THERE IS NO EFFING RAIN!!!
HB

You can have some of our rain, we don't need this much.

Our drought is over after 15 years.
Old 25-10-2015, 08:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sunday, October 25, 2015 at 12:52:53 PM UTC-7, jasper smith wrote:
Hypatia wrote:
Dog leaving smallish black doodoo in same area for years.
Dunno how he/she/it gets in.
Area is not planted, no grass, can be treated mean.
At this site various homemade repellents are described:
http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plan...-repellent.htm
*******Would Hon. Members give feedback on what has
worked for them? Before I lose my momentum g
Yes, I can buy commercial repellent, but one of the
sites says that capsicum (sp?) is the main ingredient
in some repellents.
Note also that there is no problem re-applying after
rain BECAUSE THERE IS NO EFFING RAIN!!!
HB

You can have some of our rain, we don't need this much.

Our drought is over after 15 years.

YESSS! Am lining up buckets and barrels. Where is this located g?

HB

Old 25-10-2015, 09:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

you say you have a fence, but can't tell how the
critter is getting in?

you also say it can be treated rough, so i'd suggest
raking it so that you can tell where the dog is getting
in and then dealing with that barrier problem as then
you won't have to do anything else...

songbird
Old 26-10-2015, 01:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

songbird wrote:

you say you have a fence, but can't tell how the
critter is getting in?

you also say it can be treated rough, so i'd suggest
raking it so that you can tell where the dog is getting
in and then dealing with that barrier problem as then
you won't have to do anything else...

Probably an inside job... one of his family members... most likely his
spouse.
Old 26-10-2015, 02:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 10/25/2015 12:51 PM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
[...]

I used to have a problem with a neighbor, who walked her dog to crap on
my front lawn. I solved that problem by telling her that, since I do
not have a dog of my own, I would come over to her house, squat, and
crap on her lawn. Since then (until several years later when she moved
away), she always walked her dog across the street.

Old 26-10-2015, 03:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

Hypatia wrote:
Dog leaving smallish black doodoo in same area for years.
Dunno how he/she/it gets in.
Area is not planted, no grass, can be treated mean.
At this site various homemade repellents are described:
http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plan...-repellent.htm
*******Would Hon. Members give feedback on what has
worked for them? Before I lose my momentum g
Yes, I can buy commercial repellent, but one of the
sites says that capsicum (sp?) is the main ingredient
in some repellents.
Note also that there is no problem re-applying after
rain BECAUSE THERE IS NO EFFING RAIN!!!
HB

You can have some of our rain, we don't need this much.

Our drought is over after 15 years.

YESSS! Am lining up buckets and barrels. Where is this located g?
HB

It's just a little speck on the map called Texas. The pecan trees finally put on a good crop this year. There's going to be an early, cold, wet winter. We got down to 41° last night.

Old 27-10-2015, 03:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 10/25/2015 11:36 AM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
Dog leaving smallish black doodoo in same area for years.
Dunno how he/she/it gets in.

If it's black, odds are it's raccoon scat. But if you're quite sure
that it is a dog, contact your local animal control and see if they'll
loan you a Haveahart trap. Trap the dog, then call animal control.

Old 28-10-2015, 03:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Tuesday, October 27, 2015 at 7:28:23 AM UTC-7, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
On 10/25/2015 11:36 AM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
Dog leaving smallish black doodoo in same area for years.
Dunno how he/she/it gets in.

If it's black, odds are it's raccoon scat. But if you're quite sure
that it is a dog, contact your local animal control and see if they'll
loan you a Haveahart trap. Trap the dog, then call animal control.

I wish!!! Years ago our local animal shelter stopped lending humane traps.
To buy one is very expensive, so I will have to do as some suggested: block access. At the moment, there is space enough under the driveway gate for a
small critter to squeeze through. No other way for an animal to gain access.
So I will fill in the space by nailing up chicken wire and monitor if the doo-doo don't do no mo'.

I don't know how in the past huge raccoons got in; they did terrorize us by
coming in the cat door and ***ing up his food dish and water fountain. (I suppose most gardeners know that raccoons have no salivary glands? so they have to wash their food in water? At least that's what I was told...)
Old 28-10-2015, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 2015-10-28 02:15:11 +0000, Hypatia Nachshon said:

[...]

Seems odd that some domestic or even wild animal would be compelled to
repeatedly overcome barriers to take a dump in that spot other than
raccoons, which tend to do so.

Is there a tree with branches directly above the deposit site? If so,
try breaking up one of the turds and see if it is full of tiny animal
bones. The reason I ask is that perhaps you are finding owl pellets.
Just a suggestion.

Old 28-10-2015, 03:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 27 Oct 2015 19:15:11 -0700 (PDT), Hypatia Nachshon
wrote:

[...]

The humane trap from NorthernTool.com is better than the Hav-a-Heart,
it's far easier to set, it's much easier to bait, critters can't
escape before the door snaps shut, and it's very reasonably priced. I
have two Hav-A-Heart traps, an old model and a new model, neither
worked well so I tried this and it works flawlessly:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...2254_200622254
It's a two trap set, one for smaller critters like squirrels, but I've
yet to try that one. The large one has caught huge possums,
hedgehogs, racoons even a monster skunk (a disaster), but I was able
to release it from a distance with an 18' pruning saw pole from
Fiskar. But mustly I trap feral cats so I can bring them to the Vet
to be fixed and have shots, than I release them here and care for
them... they keep more than forty acres totally free of rodents of all
kinds; moles, voles, mice, squirrels, chipmonks and whatever... so
they more than earn their keep, plus they require very little cat food
as mostly they eat what they catch, some won't eat any cat food. I
supply shelter (heated houses in winter), and water, (heated bowls in
winter). The skunk sprayed my deck and it was two months before the
stink was gone... don't let anyone tell you about remedies, I tried
them all, nothing works but time. Skunks are still around, feral cats
will chase most racoons away but no critter messes with skunks. I
don't concern myself with critter doodoo here, I consider it free
fertilzer. Plus there are no stray dogs here, a loose dog wouldn't
last 24 hours... feral cats survive very well in the wild but dogs
have no survival skills.
Old 28-10-2015, 08:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tuesday, October 27, 2015 at 7:42:12 PM UTC-7, Amos Nomore wrote:
On 2015-10-28 02:15:11 +0000, Hypatia Nachshon said:

[...]

Pretty sure it's a dog. No tree as you suggest. No owls around.

Nobody responded preferred dog repellent, so am going to remove all turds,
then drench area w/ammonia or one of the other home remedies found on-line.

Thanks to all.

HB
Old 08-02-2016, 10:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
[...]

I haven't checked group in a while but I use my own urine as a home-made cat
and dog repellant. I just put it in a sprayer, set it to jet (not mist),
pump it up and spray areas near entryways and 'problem areas'.
--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)