Old 24-03-2016, 11:10 PM
Registered User

Default overlapping fence insert

Any thoughts prey tell on the idea of making a overlapping wooden fence, 7.half foot high ( i know..i know 6ft is the limit etc etc ), so..7.5ft high x 12ft across.

It will be double sided, ie, essentially 4 x 6ft panels. A gap obviously between the sides ( around 7inches )

My question, i was in insert either weatherproof soft material between the wooden panels. One chap recommended bark chippings! however surely they would rot, smell etc.

The overall object is the 'soften' a little bit at least the sound / chatter from next door.

To cap it off, i want to get 3 large pots and put 3 7ft 'trees' in them..thin, evergreen..just so they are poking up above the fence type scenerio. Narrow 'trees'.

Thoughts, recommendations on fence / trees / weatherproof material. I checked out Jacksons website, they have a very thin! material ( costly )..more looking at large piece of something i can stuff between.

Do any good? Better than a gabion wall?

thoughts more than welcome
Old 25-03-2016, 07:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Are you still yammering about your noisy neighbors... with the
proximity/parameters you have to work with there is absolutely nothing
you can erect that would in any meaningful way mute a neighbor's loud
voices... you'd need an accoustic barrior at least 12' high and more
importantly like 40' wide, because sound bounces/echos and then
becomes amplified. You have but one choice and one choice only, you
need to relocate, and even if you move to where houses are on ten acre
lots you will still hear each other, I promise you will. I live in a
very rural farming community on 16 acres, my nearest neighbor's house
is a good thousand feet away, yet come evenings I can hear every word
coming from the people sitting on his patio, and they don't even talk
loudly, but that's only if I'm outdoors too, however I don't hear any
outside voices when I'm indoors, not with central air going 24/7.
Sound travels great distances outdoors very easily over quiet empty
spaces. Even many acres of dense forest is no sound barrier, if
someone is mowing or starts a chain saw a mile away I can hear it. So
there's your remedy, install central air conditioning and keep all
your windows closed. I never open windows, I even got rid of all the
window screens because I detest looking outside through screens, and
they'll fill with pollen within hours. During the cold months I have
heat running so I don't open windows then either. With my windows
closed my house stays very clean, I rarely need to dust. My A/C
system has a high efficiency particulate filter installed and a UV
lamp that kills germs. it runs on low speed when not calling for cool
so it runs all the time... it's inexpensive to maintain, the filter
element gets changed every two years, $40. UV lamps cost more, about
$125 every two years. It works because I rarely ever have a cold. I
also treat all the water coming in from my well with UV... anyone who
lives where municiple water is not treated with chlorine really needs
to install a UV lamp where the water enters. For my drinking water I
have an RO filter (Reverse Osmosis), the only water purification that
actually works.
During the transition times when the A/C is off or the heat is off for
a couple of weeks, weather permitting I install special screens that
have built-in dust filters... all my windows are triple glazed
thermopanes so that's the only time I hear outside noises, a cacophony
of critters, birds all day, frogs and insects all night. These work
very well:
http://www.natlallergy.com/catalogse...ens+and+filter
Old 26-03-2016, 07:38 PM
Registered User

thank you kindly for you reply - lengthy perhaps but heck it's a reply. Sadly it contained bad news and the words ' nothing can be done' echo inside my tiny brain. I naturally must disagree...12 ft across and 7.5 ft height..surely to goodness we can send a man on the moon ( apparently! ) and theres nothing that will at the very least bring down slightly the yakking of noisey neighbours and their inane boring commentary on the dull dull life they are leading..no gossip even just endless! dullery.

A waterfeature will be purchased, a loud trickle would be nice ( please advice on any website to purchase ), a radio will be turn to volume 11, and a thicker fence will be erected.

If anyone out there in internetland has a suggestion other than moving! re constucting a epic fence, a 6inch gap between which can perhaps be filled with a waterproof material ( softening any chatter ) please let me know and keep this thread alive. The Spring has sprung and the nights are getting lighter so needs must to restore my love of gardening.

thanking you.

[IMG] code is On

Bodum Antigua Electric Burr Grinder (Black) With FREE Bodum 8-Ounce Travel Coffee Press with Mini Picture Insert [email protected] Edible Gardening 0 21-05-2009 12:26 PM
Tom Brady Insert cards, Game-Used Jerseys, Rookies+++ www.SMCCI.com Ponds 0 25-12-2007 09:57 PM
is my carbon insert removing nutrients I'm trying to add? Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 20-04-2003 06:25 AM
Deer fence kayk Gardening 17 31-03-2003 11:08 PM
is my carbon insert removing nutrients I'm trying to add? Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-03-2003 03:32 AM