Old 05-04-2016, 08:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tomato Horworm = Luna Moth?

On Monday, June 2, 1997 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Patrick Walsh wrote:
Hello, I was looking for some information on what the giant Tomato
Hornworm might turn into. I guess I always assumed that maybe it was
just a caterpillar type animal, and not the larvae of some butterfly or
moth, but recently I've been told it is the larvae of the Luna Moth.

Anybody know the real answer? Also, what is the larvae of the
Hummingbird Moth?

I sure get plenty of Hornworms, but I've never seen a Luna Moth.

As always, thanks for the responses...

Patrick

I never before saw a Luna moth but had plenty of tomato worms in my garden, but today this large green moth appeared on my awning on the front porch and when I looked it up it said it was a Luna moth, it's worm looks just like the horrible green worms that used to get on my tomato plants. I don't have any tomato plants here nor do I have any of the trees they said the luna moth catapillars feast on, so the answer is..I don't know..
Old 05-04-2016, 10:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

Dan Espen wrote:
writes:

[...]

In case you did not notice, you just replied to a 19 year old post.

We've come to expect such lunacy from gmailers ... they're using a web
interface and can't be bothered to actually look at the headers to see when
the message was posted .

--
Snag

Old 06-04-2016, 01:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 2016-04-05 21:05:34 +0000, Terry Coombs said:

Dan Espen wrote:
writes:

[...]

Not to mention a Google search would have taken less time than posting
the query.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manduca_quinquemaculata
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hummingbird_hawk-moth

Old 06-04-2016, 02:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 05 Apr 2016 18:19:38 -0600, Amos Nomore wrote:

Not to mention a Google search would have taken less time than posting
the query.

Ahh, but not nearly as satisfying as written conversation.

Old 06-04-2016, 03:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

azigni wrote:
Amos Nomore wrote:

Not to mention a Google search would have taken less time than posting
the query.

Ahh, but not nearly as satisfying as written conversation.

yes, that's what many usenet groups are for besides asking
and answering questions. alas, some are getting thinner and
thinner these days.

songbird
Old 06-04-2016, 04:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 4/6/2016 10:47 AM, songbird wrote:
azigni wrote:
Amos Nomore wrote:

Not to mention a Google search would have taken less time than posting
the query.

Ahh, but not nearly as satisfying as written conversation.

yes, that's what many usenet groups are for besides asking
and answering questions. alas, some are getting thinner and
thinner these days.

songbird

Very good thread. I've seen the humming bird type moth and get tomato
horn worms but while larvae are similar it appears source is different.