Old 30-04-2016, 08:15 PM
Registered User

Smile Planting a 16ft Leylandi - HELP

Hi

I have a very large garden and I have purchased a 16ft Leylandi which is going to be 40 meter away from any building structure. But I dont know how to plant it.

I have been reading for hours all about
a)Multipurpose Compost
b) RootGrow
c) Bonemeal
d) Multicote / Osmocote

My head is spinning! the Tree has cost alot of money so wanting to give is the best start possible.

How best do I plant this using the above items? and do I use the current soil or just back fill with Multipurpose Compost and Rootgrow at the bottom of the hole touching the roots?

Thanks
darren
Old 30-04-2016, 11:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Planting a 16ft Leylandi - HELP

Dazzamancs wrote:

I have a very large garden and I have purchased a 16ft Leylandi which is
going to be 40 meter away from any building structure. But I dont know
how to plant it.

You are speaking of a totally valueless weed... makes a quick growing
hedge that doesn't live long and is susceptable to many diseases.
You'd have done much better buying a 2' tall seedling for like $2...
actually you'd have done far better not buying that weed at all.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

Brooklyn1 writes:

Dazzamancs wrote:

I have a very large garden and I have purchased a 16ft Leylandi which is
going to be 40 meter away from any building structure. But I dont know
how to plant it.

You are speaking of a totally valueless weed... makes a quick growing
hedge that doesn't live long and is susceptable to many diseases.
You'd have done much better buying a 2' tall seedling for like $2...
actually you'd have done far better not buying that weed at all.

In real life, I find the tree attractive.

I can't picture a homeowner planting a 16ft tree.
There should be tractors involved in the process.

Wikipedia has some interesting comments about the
legal risks to having the tree:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leylan...#Legal_aspects

The plant's rapid growth (up to a metre per year) and great potential
height – often over 20 metres (66 ft) tall, sometimes as high as 35
metres (115 ft) – can become a serious problem. In 2005 in the United
Kingdom, an estimated 17,000 people were at loggerheads over high
hedges, which led to violence and in at least one case murder, when in
2001, retired Environment Agency officer Llandis Burdon, 57, was shot
dead after an alleged dispute over a leylandii hedge in Talybont-on-Usk,
Powys.

Part VIII of the United Kingdom's Anti-Social Behaviour Act 2003,
introduced in 2005, gave a way for people affected by high hedges
(usually, but not necessarily, of leylandii) to ask their local
authority to investigate complaints about the hedges, and gave the
authorities in England and Wales power to have the hedges reduced in
height. In May 2008, UK resident Christine Wright won a 24-year
legal battle to have her neighbour's leylandii trees cut down for
blocking sunlight to her garden.

I like Dawn Redwoods, Not an evergreen but looks like one in the
summer and nice bark, shape, grows fast.

--
Dan Espen
Old 01-05-2016, 03:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

Dan Espen wrote:
Brooklyn1 writes:
Dazzamancs wrote:

I have a very large garden and I have purchased a 16ft Leylandi which is
going to be 40 meter away from any building structure. But I dont know
how to plant it.

You are speaking of a totally valueless weed... makes a quick growing
hedge that doesn't live long and is susceptable to many diseases.
You'd have done much better buying a 2' tall seedling for like $2...
actually you'd have done far better not buying that weed at all.

In real life, I find the tree attractive.

I can't picture a homeowner planting a 16ft tree.
There should be tractors involved in the process.

Agreed... probably an excavator to dig the planting hole and to lift
and set the tree... the root ball could weigh a half ton.

[...]

Dawn Redwoods are interesting ancient trees, I especially like their
trunk bark, cinnamon hued and fissured. I planted two... one was ~6'
when I planted it, now 12 years later ~18', the other was in a pot.
~30" when I planted it, now ~10'. They are not very fast growing,
perhaps 1' per year. They are planted in my wildflower meadow, I
keep them fenced from deer.
The smaller Dawn Redwood, that's Newt:
http://i65.tinypic.com/2qsuhlh.jpg
Same tree, I maintain many walking paths:
http://i68.tinypic.com/140dmjq.jpg
The larger Dawn Redwood:
http://i66.tinypic.com/2uiws2u.jpg
You can see the larger Dawn Redwood way out in the wildflower meadow:
http://i64.tinypic.com/20tkvhh.jpg
These pictures were taken in 2012.
Newt was a great barn cat, no longer with us.
He stopped eating, Vet said inoperable throat cancer.
Had to put him down, a very sad time, Newt is resting by his barn.
For those who don't know Tinypics can be enlarged; close the ads,
click on picture, then click on "View Raw Image" and click on picture
to enlarge.
http://www.dawnredwood.org/INFORMATION.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metase...yptostroboides
Keep in mind that most plant nurserys use photoshopped pictures and
greatly exaggerate plant growth facts. Dawn Redwood does not look
like that picture nor does it grow several feet per year, in my
opinion their reviews were obviously cherry picked and doctored:
http://www.fast-growing-trees.com/DawnRedwood.htm

Old 01-05-2016, 04:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

Brooklyn1 writes:

Dan Espen wrote:
Brooklyn1 writes:
Dazzamancs wrote:

[...]

My neighbor planted one as a sapling.
It's now about 50ft tall.

--
Dan Espen

Old 01-05-2016, 05:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , says...

Brooklyn1 writes:

Dazzamancs wrote:

[...]

Sounds like the British need to trim the size of their government down
to where it has enough to do without worrying about somebody's hedge.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

Dan Espen wrote:

DawnRedwood

My neighbor planted one as a sapling.
It's now about 50ft tall.

How long ago? Do you have a picture?
Old 04-05-2016, 01:21 AM posted to rec.gardens

J. Clarke wrote:
In article , says...

Brooklyn1 writes:

Dazzamancs wrote:

[...]

So you think it's OK to grow a hedge that completely shades out your neighbor's
garden, and the neighbor should have no recourse?

Old 04-05-2016, 05:06 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzamancs View Post
Hi

I have a very large garden and I have purchased a 16ft Leylandi which is going to be 40 meter away from any building structure. But I dont know how to plant it.

I have been reading for hours all about
a)Multipurpose Compost
b) RootGrow
c) Bonemeal
d) Multicote / Osmocote

My head is spinning! the Tree has cost alot of money so wanting to give is the best start possible.

How best do I plant this using the above items? and do I use the current soil or just back fill with Multipurpose Compost and Rootgrow at the bottom of the hole touching the roots?

Thanks
darren
My only advice would be not to plant it. I can't think of a single situation where that would be the best tree for your needs.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , says...

J. Clarke wrote:
In article ,
says...

Brooklyn1 writes:

Dazzamancs wrote:

[...]

If he can prove economic harm he has resource in the courts. If he
can't, he's welcome to move.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 8 May 2016 13:46:17 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article , says...

J. Clarke wrote:
In article ,
says...

Brooklyn1 writes:

Dazzamancs wrote:

[...]

Or he can wait some time after you plant it and give it a few small
doses of defoliant until it wilts and dies. It's always best to get
along with neighbors, there are ways to compromise. Robert Frost
wrote "Good Fences Make Good Neighbors", however the obverse is "Good
Neighbors Make Good Fences".

Old 09-05-2016, 04:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

If he can prove economic harm he has resource in the courts. If he
can't, he's welcome to move.

Or he can wait some time after you plant it and give it a few small
doses of defoliant until it wilts and dies.

I had to do that. Neighbor is a hoarder, so she won't even remove
trash trees that sprout from seed along the property line. One of them
got quite large over the years as we kept politely requesting she take
it down, and she kept prevaricating. After two instances of damage to
my property caused by limbs coming down from the tree, I treated the
tree with brushkiller. She eventually noticed it was dying, and
finally had it taken down.

I rented a bucket lift a few years ago and trimmed another one of her
trees that was overhanging my house since she refused to spend money
to get the tree trimmed. I hacked off everything hanging over my
property line. She then asked if I'd trim the very large and extremely
dangerous branch hanging completely over her house. She's too cheap to
have it professionally done, and it is far too dangerous for me to
take on, so I refused. If it comes down in a storm, it will destroy
the house and kill anyone inside - but to her, that's less frightening
than writing a check to have it removed.
Old 10-05-2016, 03:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

Brooklyn1 wrote:
On Sun, 8 May 2016 13:46:17 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article , says...

J. Clarke wrote:
In article ,
says...

Brooklyn1 writes:

Dazzamancs wrote:

[...]

Our state "EPA" came and had a long talk with an old neighbor once after he
sprayed a shrub next to his yard. They actually tested the shrub for chemicals
before going to the offender. In this state anyway, such actions are very
illegal.

Old 10-05-2016, 01:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/9/2016 9:52 PM, Bob F wrote:

Our state "EPA" came and had a long talk with an old neighbor once after he
sprayed a shrub next to his yard. They actually tested the shrub for chemicals
before going to the offender. In this state anyway, such actions are very
illegal.

I'm truly surprised that your state's EPA had the staff and the time
to send someone out for such a picayune problem. When I worked in the
business, a coworker and I separately notified our state's EPA about
our company violating the law by obtaining and selling a banned
pesticide. The owner was promoting the stuff for off-label use, too.
We even had farmers buying it for their food crops, which was a huge
no-no. The EPA told us they didn't have the staff or budget to
investigate everything reported to them, so they only focused on
large-scale offenders, and thus elected to not follow up on our reports.

Old 10-05-2016, 04:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

Moe DeLoughan wrote:
Bob F wrote:

Our state "EPA" came and had a long talk with an old neighbor once after he
sprayed a shrub next to his yard. They actually tested the shrub for chemicals
before going to the offender. In this state anyway, such actions are very
illegal.

I'm truly surprised that your state's EPA had the staff and the time
to send someone out for such a picayune problem. When I worked in the
business, a coworker and I separately notified our state's EPA about
our company violating the law by obtaining and selling a banned
pesticide. The owner was promoting the stuff for off-label use, too.
We even had farmers buying it for their food crops, which was a huge
no-no. The EPA told us they didn't have the staff or budget to
investigate everything reported to them, so they only focused on
large-scale offenders, and thus elected to not follow up on our reports.

The EPA operates the same for every state, the EPA is Federal.
I think Bob F. made that story up. The EPA doesn't get involved in
residential neighbor disputes/torts, it's difficult to get the EPA to
investigate someone dumping a little motor oil because without
substantial evidence it's nigh impossible to date the time of the
spill, might have occured twenty years before the accused was born.
About all one can do when suspecting a neighbor of poisoning a plant
or three with a little over-spray is hire an attorney (if one can be
found who will take such a case) who may have a private laboratory
investigate, at the litigant's cost naturally, but be aware that
common defolients one can buy at plant nurserys dissipate rapidly,
especially, when used in a weak solution. Before and after photos may
become evidence, and any witnesses one can locate, you'd pretty much
need an in-the-act video of the event... then call Judge Judy. Don't
laugh, she's presided over such cases, they're usually dismissed for
lack of evidence.
A newly planted tree can do fine for a few years and then they slowly
begin to die, I've had it happen a half dozen times...
insects/disease.... I've had two beech trees totally hollowed by
carpenter ants, one day I started to prune some small lower branches
and they just fell over, they were as hollow as soda straws. I've had
apple trees decimated by black knot disease, by the time it's noticed
it's too late. I've had rabbits girdle a pair of flowering chestnut
trees, guess they couldn't resist that sweet bark, I had them fenced
from deer but didn't think about bunnies going under the fence... did
you ever try to sue rabbits?

[IMG] code is On

what plants will grow in leylandi soil? ambermeta United Kingdom 10 11-08-2004 09:59 AM
Leylandi Juco United Kingdom 9 28-06-2004 10:13 PM
Cutting Leylandi Charlie United Kingdom 31 20-04-2003 12:44 AM
in defense of leylandi hayley United Kingdom 7 16-04-2003 10:56 PM
Advice sought on employing tree surgeon to lop Leylandi Simon United Kingdom 1 18-03-2003 06:08 PM