GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   ID this large shrub / tree (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/212748-id-large-shrub-tree.html)

Wild Strawberry 18-05-2016 02:33 PM

ID this large shrub / tree

1 Attachment(s)
Hi everybody my first post so hope someone can help. My son recently moved house and this beautiful large blue flowering tree is in the garden. I've searched the Internet for blue flowering shrub or tree but can't find a similar flower. Don't know whether it's a shrub that's been left and grown into a small tree or it is a tree. Hope someone recognises it, fingers crossed .

John McGaw 18-05-2016 04:18 PM

ID this large shrub / tree

On 5/18/2016 9:33 AM, Wild Strawberry wrote:
Hi everybody my first post so hope someone can help. My son recently
moved house and this beautiful large blue flowering tree is in the
garden. I've searched the Internet for blue flowering shrub or tree but
can't find a similar flower. Don't know whether it's a shrub that's been
left and grown into a small tree or it is a tree. Hope someone
recognises it, fingers crossed .

|Filename: image.jpeg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16412|

It looks so familiar but so unusual. My first guess was in the hibiscus
family. Some sort of Althea but without the usual coloured throat?